Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156313 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1140 on: January 30, 2008, 04:44:36 pm »

Like Carlos said, you don't pitch around three guys.

Moises Alou, he's a risk, but a fine hitter when healthy.

Luis Castillo an empty singles hitter? You're sure you're not thinking of the San Diego Charger Luis Castillo? Because the second baseman holds a career .368 OBP, and was only 6 points off that average last season. Granted, he's not the gold-glover he used to be, but the guy is great at drawing walks. Stick him in the 2-hole behind Reyes and you've got a nifty 1-2 combo.

Ryan Church you're underselling, but you're pretty right on with Schneider. (That wasn't a great trade, but Milledge was a stalled prospect. You weren't going to get a great return for him.)

You're vastly underrating this team's offense. They finished 4th in the NL last year in runs per game, despite playing in a pitcher's park. The teams ahead of them? Philadelphia, Atlanta and Colorado. 2 of 3 play in awfully friendly hitter's environments.

The 4th best offense in the NL and a rotation led by Johan Santana? Yes, please.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1141 on: January 31, 2008, 06:45:09 am »

Like I say. Getting Santana is great. Great!

But we could'a had Estrada and Milledge in the line-up supporting Santana and we got...

Church and Schneider in that line-up.

There's still a net gain because Santana is such an upgrade but... yeah.

It is tempered by having one-half a bat between those two positions now because Omar Minaya has a raging jag-on for Expos and "nice team chemistry guys" who have no fuck*ng talent other than being nice fuck*ng team fuck*ng chemistry fuck*ng fuck fuck fuck fucks.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1142 on: January 31, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »

We'll agree to disagree on Milledge, but Estrada? Come on. Dude's OPS was only 37 points higher than Schneider's last year -- and guess who played in the cavernous park? Not the one you're complaining over losing.

Seriously, dude. Fernando Martinez. You still have him. Be joyous.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1143 on: January 31, 2008, 07:16:42 pm »

I am actually the PNW transplant living in the SFBA. It's nice because as incompetently-run as the Mariners are, I can always take solace in the face that they're not nearly as bad as the Giants. There's a bad team that's going to be bad for a very long time.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1144 on: January 31, 2008, 09:17:45 pm »

I think the problem is that I am jonsing for baseball. Badly.

This "dudes crippling each other over a pig" thing has gotten old, my college's basketball team sucks and the NHL and the NBA don't mean anything until the second round of the playoffs.

A dude is hurting.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1145 on: January 31, 2008, 09:35:48 pm »

Hey, the NCAA doesn't mean anything until March.

I will not take another answer.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1146 on: January 31, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »

I'm jonesing pretty bad for baseball, too. I'm not much more than a casual NFL fan, and though I'm usually a ravenous NBA fan, I've kind of fallen out of touch with it now that I live two states away from my favorite team (and potentially more than that if/when they move to OKC). Plus there's the fact that I can never watch cable TV since my roommate has fuck*ng Family Guy re-runs on 24/7.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1147 on: January 31, 2008, 10:17:59 pm »

Oh lord that is horrible.  You really do need to move out of there.


Also, the Sonics are coming to OKC just as I am leaving for a real city and the Hornets are doing awesome so I am getting screwed on this deal too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1148 on: February 04, 2008, 06:46:50 am »

Dear god, I wish I was a betting man. Someone got rich off that game.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1149 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:51 pm »

In less than two weeks, this thread will be a year old. I've been so eagerly anticipating baseball season that I've actually gone back and re-read the first dozen or so pages of this thread. Man, we were like a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob back then. All hell of not knowing how fantasy baseball works, all hell of pulling off terrible player transactions.

When we do this season's league, we should definitely auto-draft again. I love the reactions all of us had to our randomly-generated teams.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1150 on: February 05, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »

If anyone bails on the baseball league this season, I want in.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1151 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:22 am »

No no, no one is bailing.

Please, no one bail?

This is definitely a more the merrier thing. Two more people would be two more awesome.

Four would be four more.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1152 on: February 06, 2008, 02:30:04 am »

I thought four was 'for whores'?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1153 on: February 10, 2008, 05:44:21 am »

It appears that Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is totally open for setting up leagues again.

...someone set up a league again. Please do this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1154 on: February 10, 2008, 08:42:35 pm »

Who was it that assumed control of the league halfway through last leason? Was that Keith? If he's willing, I will throw my vote behind him.

Of course, that's just a way of saying I'd like someone besides myself to do the hard work of creating a league. God knows the commisoners don't have any realy responsibility in a free Yahoo league once the season gets going.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79   Go Up