Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155962 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1155 on: February 10, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »

It appears that Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is totally open for setting up leagues again.

...someone set up a league again. Please do this.

Is your penis finger broken or something?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1156 on: February 10, 2008, 08:49:19 pm »

I don't want to set it up because... well...

I am certain that I would look at all the rules one would set up at the beginning as commissioner and pick every single possible little variation on commissioneering that could possibly give me an edge and...

When I know I would cheat at something given a certain set of chances, I maintain my personal morality by avoiding the situation wherein I would not be able to control myself.

"I have a competition in me. I... drink... your... MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!"

And so on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1157 on: February 10, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »

I did it last year, I can do it again I guess. 

I'll give it a couple days, lets say wed; tell me if you want a draft or auto pick, who is playing, any rules you want, all of that.  Also, if someone does it before wed, well, they can do it but I want in.


Edit:  last year it was just their rules I think, and that worked alright.  I don't really remember anything that could be better, but I am sure someone does.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1158 on: February 10, 2008, 09:18:14 pm »

If we could draft on a Thursday or a Sunday, if you pick a draft with a manual element, that'd be great as those are my days off.

Other than that, all I'd ask is as large a league as possible and to be relatively close to last year's rules.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1159 on: February 10, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »

I thoroughly support the idea of doing it just how we did it last year*. Same rules, same playoffs, same auto-draft.

*Full disclosure: I won last year. Perhaps you heard?

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1160 on: February 10, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »

So here's my question: how much work does fantasy baseball entail? Fantasy football, you could do decently with an investment of about 20 minutes a week (reference: me). But they only played two days a week until the bitter end, and even then it was all clustered where you could squeeze it in Tuesday or Wednesday. How does the fantasy baseball rate? How do they handle the pitching position? Convince me it won't require more of my time than Kingdom of Loathing did when someone brought it up in here, and I'll join on.

There's also fantasy auto racing, if y'all are interested... hey, hey, where are you all going? Get back here!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1161 on: February 10, 2008, 10:10:01 pm »

Once your team is all set up, the day to day maintenance is just... looking at the schedule to see which of your players might have an off-day that day and plug in your subs if your usual starters are off if they're in and... to see which of your starting pitchers are starting and plug them into your day's active line-up.

Like five minutes or something a day, maybe a little less on some, maybe a little more on others (like Monday and Thursday when some of the teams will have travel days and so on) and then...

Every once in a while, put in a half hour to juggle free agents into your roster or to consider trades but... that's completely optional and often makes you worse through overthinking, such as I did, not better.

It's not much more than a fantasy football commitment, though it is spread out over the week more in little tiny slices because there are at least some of your players playing every day.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1162 on: February 13, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »

So is Clemens in jail yet?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1163 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:32 pm »

I'm guessing I won't be able to get away with trading Roger Clemens this year.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1164 on: February 13, 2008, 07:48:51 pm »

Fuck, I forgot all about fantasy baseball.  When I said I would do it today I didn't realize I was moving a couple states over on Friday and packing and stuff today.  Uh, I can still do it, but maybe not until early next week or something.  I mean, we have a month and a half right?  Someone else set it up if you want.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1165 on: February 14, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »

I... I am jonsing here. I am shivering in the corner. My skin is hell of chalky looking.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1166 on: February 22, 2008, 04:24:04 pm »

Oh yeah... opening a Mets blog and finding out that neither Beltran nor El Duque is healthy going into the spring, that definitely makes it hurt less...

No...

No, actually it makes it worse.

*going crazier than usual*
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1167 on: February 22, 2008, 07:00:23 pm »

Cheer up! It's that good time of year where the morning paper has spring training coverage for the local team(s) and you can jones out over the morning cuppa and raise your hopes to dizzying heights without the crushing reality of April bringing the truth home.

I think I would be more depressed if I ever found myself getting baseball news from the newspaper.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1168 on: February 22, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »

(Does anyone remember what 'second division' means)

[hand up]
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #1169 on: February 22, 2008, 08:25:04 pm »

Listen to the whipper-snapper! The morning paper lets you get through local, editorial, comics and sports in a format both sharable and safe. Try plonking the laptop on the table in front of a two year old that has a good plunking arm and a ready supply of food (ammo).

Plus, it's a good thing to share a paper between you and a child and share a laugh over the funnies.

ALSO: Notice I didn't reference all my sports news coming from the paper. It's almost lunch time so I guess I'll go do my daily troll through SI.Com.

But Hey! If newsprint makes hives grow on your ass, so be it. I figure you're just sour because your home and adopted area teams are heading straight towards the second division.

(Does anyone remember what 'second division' means)

Hee hee, I was half-kidding. The newspaper is fine. I realize it's a little tough to pore over The Hardball Times at the breakfast table. But if you're getting the majority of your sports news from the paper, you're missing out -- that's my point.

(Also, is second division like when an English soccer club gets banished to the land of wind and ghosts after a bad season? I think that's what it means. That's definitely where the SF Giants are going, but for as much as I complain about my Mariners, they did win 88 games last year.)
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79   Go Up