Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155433 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2007, 03:36:24 pm »

Oh man, did I suck at this game yesterday. Oh. Man.

Seven players with a combined BA of .154! 2 runs, 2 RBI, no home runs, no stolen bases. Four for, like, twenty-six. Okay starter, terrible reliever. Cobbling my performances yesterday together into one imaginary game, I'm left with the ugliest 3-2 loss you've ever seen in your life.

Still, the learning curve is on.

I, for example, realized that keeping a third reliever around just so that I can try and corner the save category every week has very little actual utility and... shoring up my bench for the left side of the infield in any number of ways before yesterday would've at least given me one more run and another hit or two.

Hopefully I can at least avoid another situation where I'm putting seven batters up in a day and whoever I'm up against is batting nine.

So I've dropped my least effective reliever for a guy with... not a great average but at least a little power and can play short or third.

And I'm in the midst of a straight-up trade of one B+ player for another B+ player... giving up great average and a lot of speed for good average and good power, getting a second 2B and giving up my fifth outfielder to another dude who... has a lot of second basemen but could use a star outfielder.

In terms of Actual Baseball, I don't know if it'd be a perfect trade but... in terms of Fantasy Baseball, it seems about as equitable a filling of needs for both of us as I could possibly imagine, actually.

My tinkering will, of course, continue but... barring injuries and so on... my major needs are filled once that move and that trade go through.

An upgrade on one of my four remaining OFs would be nice or... possibly an upgrade at RP would be interesting down the line still and... I probably still have one starting pitcher to give if anyone would really be into it but... I'm feeling a good deal better.

I'm carrying three first basemen which seems excessive but... (a.) one of them is also 2B eligible which is a huge plus on my infield scheme and (b.) I'm pretty much gonna be always using one of them in my system as my utility hitter so, like, again that ameliorates the redundancy.

Analysis as of the roster that I'll have Thursday:

Remaining weaknesses: not much speed, only one "star" OF, RP core a little weak
Remaining excesses: don't necessarily need five SPs

How is everyone else feeling about their lineups now that we're into week two?

Am I the only one overthinking it this much?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2007, 05:26:20 pm »

No, I'm overthinking like crazy, too. In fact, I just overthought myself into a trade proposal. Have a look.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2007, 04:33:20 pm »

How did both my third basemen get injured on the same weekend?

How the fuck does this happen?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2007, 02:53:35 pm »

Karma for beating me so handily last week?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2007, 03:46:17 pm »

Nah, karma is what made my supposedly all-star line up of pitchers all suddenly completely terrible.

The third base thing was dumb-ass luck.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:40 pm »

Mr. Felix... unless Jeff Kent and Juan Pierre have the goddamn games of their lives tonight, flooding my statistics with RBIs and stolen bases such as a fertile lady who wants to make a small person would have her insides flooded with glorious seed... you have taken the week.

Congratulations and good game, sir.

EDIT: Holy shit, they stole enough bases to eke me into a tie for the week!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:39:18 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2007, 02:15:18 am »

Now that the first two weeks of the season are up, Yahoo has removed the free Live Scoring feature from the fantasy leagues, which pretty much sucks. I don't want to pay 9 bucks to see how my players are doing in real time. Checking the box scores for each isn't my idea of fun, but I have my principles, dammit!

Does anyone know of a way around this? Like maybe some kind of fantasy baseball RSS feed where you plug in a list of your players and it lets you know how they're doing on the day?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2007, 02:22:02 am »

wow, I was down either 2-8 or 1-9 or 0-9 all week and came back on the last day for a tie.  Considering the guy I was playing against (Nabu, I think) had some double header leftovers, I think my team is in decent shape.


Edit:

Now that the first two weeks of the season are up, Yahoo has removed the free Live Scoring feature from the fantasy leagues, which pretty much sucks. I don't want to pay 9 bucks to see how my players are doing in real time. Checking the box scores for each isn't my idea of fun, but I have my principles, dammit!

Does anyone know of a way around this? Like maybe some kind of fantasy baseball RSS feed where you plug in a list of your players and it lets you know how they're doing on the day?

Ugh, that sucks ass, hadn't noticed it yet.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2007, 03:14:38 am »

I... just paid the nine bucks.

I'm a very sick man.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:10 am »

If i didn't have habits (cough addictions cough) I would.  I seriously thought about it, but then remembered that I can't do that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2007, 04:43:20 am »

I already paid 90 dollars for mlb.tv this season. I refuse to allow myself to spend that much more money on internet baseball when there is so much real life baseball to be seen.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2007, 04:53:56 am »

I suddenly appear to have an over-abundance of second basemen. I sure could use some pitching since my best guy might be out for the whole year. Let's talk.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2007, 05:45:35 am »

What I'm in need of is...

My entire team not getting injured all the time.

Already Guerrero, Caberera and Glaus are dinged up and BJ Ryan and Ramirez were so hurt I had to just dump them outright.

Right now, I'd define my needs as:

3.) A better hitting backup catcher
2.) An upgrade on my number 2 reliever
1.) Someone with a decent bat who can play a shitload of positions to cover all these injuries

...but really, I don't have much I'd wanna give up, either.

My 3 4 and 5 outfielders, I'm hardly married to but... after that, I dunno what I'd be comfy losing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:50:08 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2007, 07:12:02 am »

3.) A better hitting backup catcher

If you have a 3b, I have Piazza and Pudge.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:39 pm »

Mr. Felix... unless Jeff Kent and Juan Pierre have the goddamn games of their lives tonight, flooding my statistics with RBIs and stolen bases such as a fertile lady who wants to make a small person would have her insides flooded with glorious seed... you have taken the week.

Congratulations and good game, sir.

EDIT: Holy shit, they stole enough bases to eke me into a tie for the week!

'twas a hard-fought match, sir.  Thank you.  I was actually expecting a much worse finish for myself.  Somehow I managed to lose in stolen bases, but win in home runs and RBI, thanks in large part to Carl Crawford and Ichiro combining for three homers and only two stolen bases.  The magic continues this week, as Carlos Guillén hit a home run for me yesterday.

Anyway, I found myself leading in my two weakest stats, plus runs scored, by 1 or 2 apiece, and with a couple of days left in the week.  Had things gone differently I could very well have been swept, and at one point I actually did fall to a projected 1-7-2.

Also:
Nah, karma is what made my supposedly all-star line up of pitchers all suddenly completely terrible.

Three of my all-star starters had a combined 12.21 ERA last week.  My team ERA was an abysmal 7.71.  I am hoping this means that they have purged all the suck from their systems and will all be really good at the same time this week.  Also, your .154 average early on was still good enough to beat my .152.  Considering that we went into last week's matchup as the top two teams in the league, it was a pretty sorry affair on both our parts.  Kept it exciting, though.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 79   Go Up