Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156041 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2007, 04:13:32 pm »

If I had a 3B to give, I'd be interested in Piazza, yeah.

But I already dropped my best 3B for injury and my second best is on the DL and... I'm left to just sorta hope that Melvin Mora gets hot out of nowhere because he was all I could find at the time.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2007, 06:28:36 am »

So my best pitcher (Carpenter) is on the DL, possibly done for the entire season. My second best pitcher (King Felix) left tonight's game with "tightness in the right elbow" after only a third of an inning. My third best pitcher is Rich Harden, whose right elbow instills about as much faith in me as a biscuit with two shits inside. My fourth best pitcher I hadn't even heard of until this year. My fifth best pitcher graduated from Princeton.

This, my friends, is a war of attrition.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2007, 06:35:06 am »

I would be a billionaire if I just had the sense to go to Vegas and bet that one of the players I put on the bench for that day would hit a home run. It is like fuck*ng clockwork. It is un-fuck*ng-believable.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2007, 04:55:03 pm »

It is amazing how much my fantasy team is like the actual Mets...

Very good but not great, really only one or two moves from being the best and really only one or two injuries away from suddenly being completely fuck*ng terrible. Shuffling the bench players, trying to buy time until some dudes come back from injuries and solidify the situation.

In my case, it's about hoping that some free agents sift out my way down the road to make my batting line-up more flexible in the case of rain-outs and travel days, to strengthen my relief pitching and to maybe make my catchers less of a hitting liability.

In the Mets case, it's about... holding on until Pedro is healthy enough to start, Sanchez is healthy enough to middle relieve, Mota is off the suspension list to middle relieve and to let their three best triple-A prospects (Milledge, Gomez, Humber) ripen and wait for the inevitable injuries to come that call them up.

Thankfully, they've got probably the best back-up catcher in the NL, probably the best fourth outfielder in the NL and probably the best pinch hitter in the NL. It's big ifs but... if people heal properly and continue to develop at AAA, they have INSANE pitching and outfield depth.

Whereas... in a fantasy league, you don't get a disabled list or a minor league system, hence why I'm flying a bit more by the seat of my goddamn #####.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2007, 08:27:37 pm »

My fantasy team is a lot like my favorite team, the Mariners. Promising pitchers drop like flies and we're left with a replacement free agent named "Gorzelanny." Unlike the Mariners, though, my offense is kicking all kinds of ass. Thank you, A-Rod!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2007, 04:59:17 am »

A-Rod is just completely insane.

Just completely insane.

Happily, though, Vlady's healthy again... so my offense is not as bad any more.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:35 pm »

Second place! Watch out, LFM. It's only a matter of time.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2007, 02:53:41 pm »

It may well be, 'lack. It may well be.

Also, whoever Gashouse Gorillas is, good game.

I had to quickly scramble and start benching my relievers and base-stealers because you so clearly had those categories so early in the week.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #188 on: April 23, 2007, 06:14:09 pm »

It may well be, 'lack. It may well be.

Also, whoever Gashouse Gorillas is, good game.

I had to quickly scramble and start benching my relievers and base-stealers because you so clearly had those categories so early in the week.

That's me.  Laissez-faire, dude, Laissez-faire.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #189 on: April 23, 2007, 07:18:01 pm »

Laissez-faire would have been nice for me last night. My original starting second baseman hit two homers with six RBIs. Oh well, I won those categories anyway.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2007, 06:32:50 pm »

A fat lot of good Laissez-faire did me.  I was up 7-1-2 on Saturday afternoon, then imbibed much of tequila that night and awoke with a hangover and a lineup card with like four guys who were taking Sunday off.  I went on to lose the series and fall into a second-place tie.

The worst part is that I actually adjusted my lineup accordingly before I went to sleep that night, but in my besotted state I failed to notice that I was adjusting Monday's lineup by mistake.  Oops.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2007, 07:01:53 pm »

Am I the only one who is checking in on my team every day?

Jesus, the spare time I must have on my hands.

EVERYONE ELSE PLAY MORE SO THAT I FEEL LESS WEIRD ABOUT THIS.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2007, 09:42:42 pm »

I'm checking my team every day, pretty much. Well, most days. You can tell by looking at the recent transactions page, which gives a good view of the revolving door that has become the 25th roster spot on my team.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2007, 09:48:42 pm »

I check the score of my game every day.  Make some small adjustments.  For instance, just sat Prince Fielder and put Rafael Furcal in at the utility position.  We are tied in steals.

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2007, 10:04:12 pm »

A-Rod has pretty much gone ice cold in the past four or five days. That's just a damn shame. You know, for the children.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79   Go Up