Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155590 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:35 pm »

This thread is unshakably on topic. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »

The thread started to veer a little bit around page 17, (womabt even paid us a visit!) but like a car whose tires run over those little grooves on the side of the highway, we were violently shaken right back on track.

It probably helps that this is one of the more esoteric threads in recent memory.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2007, 08:45:58 pm »

This thread is unshakably on topic. 

I blame the absence of Wombat. And me. Purple monkey dishwasher.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2007, 11:10:01 pm »

I blame the absence of Wombat. And me. Purple monkey dishwasher.

Anybody ever have Chocolate Babies?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2007, 11:15:18 pm »

I claim partial credit for the attempted derailment.  You guys are like the Strat-o-Matic club in high school.  They had to be chased out of their meetings by the fire department during drills.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2007, 12:54:44 am »

First time this has happened this year: I've got two starting pitchers in the same game. I guess it's good because there's a much better chance of getting the win as long as no douchebag reliever comes in and takes it from me.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2007, 08:50:08 pm »

It's actually really easy to shuffle players when they're all pitchers, though, since you can check which ones are starting days in advance...

How/where do you do this?

I want to try to see Maddux pitch some day when he's at home but I never seem to find out he's pitching until the day of, when of course it's much harder to alert friends/arrange time off/actually go.  Is this one of those things on the internets somewhere?
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2007, 10:54:24 pm »

I love that this thread, which I read religiously despite not understanding a damn thing on it, is so rigorously on-topic. As such, I will make no statements that might change that. Party on, imaginary baseball managers.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2007, 10:56:45 pm »

How/where do you do this?

I want to try to see Maddux pitch some day when he's at home but I never seem to find out he's pitching until the day of, when of course it's much harder to alert friends/arrange time off/actually go.  Is this one of those things on the internets somewhere?

In the team thing, there will be a little carat on the day they are pitching.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2007, 12:00:54 am »

I have changed my strategy a bit after giving up on Webb too quick and sort fuck*ng myself over for two weeks in doing that.

Once I have two of every position, it's more important to just have the best hitters available than being able to field nine men every single day. I got too much into the idea of position insurance.

I have also sort of started to accept that stolen bases and saves are essentially chaos theory and you can't know all the factors that go into knowing how many your team will get in any given week. Gotta just put guys who often get those stats on the field and hope for the best.

I'm not very happy with my back-up catcher still, of course, and I'll probably always be looking for upgrades over my 4 and 5 starting pitchers but I think I'm in more of a place of tweaking for a while and not big overhauls.

I'm pretty set with my usual starting eight position players, my relief core and my top three pitchers. It's just a matter of adjusting to scheduling, picking my utility guy based on what I need that week and... otherwise, just trying to shuffle the back-end of my team.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2007, 03:51:00 am »

Am I the only one so far with a player on the no-cut list who's out for several months? I feel like I'm playing with a roster one man smaller than the rest of you, which I'm pretty sure is the case.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2007, 04:02:39 am »

Am I the only one so far with a player on the no-cut list who's out for several months? I feel like I'm playing with a roster one man smaller than the rest of you, which I'm pretty sure is the case.

Yeah, you're getting fucked. I have a utility man that I can't cut that I basically never play unless one of my other clowns has the day off. Hafner. Doesn't even have a position. If this had been a live draft, I never would have taken him. Too limiting, in my book.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2007, 04:17:02 am »

I think that's because he's strictly a DH in real life. The same goes for a guy like Jim Thome. The idea of those two immobile tanks being considered "utility" players makes me laugh every time.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #298 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:41 am »

Also, no matter how far we've progressed in the season, I keep getting tricked into thinking the little post-it note with the red means player injury news. I keep scaring myself, clicking it and remembering that it just means recent news. I swear, I have no idea how I'm in second place because half the shit on here either frightens or confuses me. Like the trading block? I hear talk of that mythical feature, but I've never been able to locate it with any certainty.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2007, 04:28:28 am »

I think that's because he's strictly a DH in real life. The same goes for a guy like Jim Thome. The idea of those two immobile tanks being considered "utility" players makes me laugh every time.

Well, it's bullshit. For there to be an auto-draft and to get stuck with a stiff like that in that position is absurd. I have my second 1B there most of the time, or an OF. I get nothing for him - he can't even sub in for anyone else who isn't playing. Not good.

Also, no matter how far we've progressed in the season, I keep getting tricked into thinking the little post-it note with the red means player injury news. I keep scaring myself, clicking it and remembering that it just means recent news. I swear, I have no idea how I'm in second place because half the shit on here either frightens or confuses me. Like the trading block? I hear talk of that mythical feature, but I've never been able to locate it with any certainty.

Like the female orgasm!

Thank you, I'm here all week, enjoy the veal.

I am deeply ashamed of myself.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 79   Go Up