Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156626 times)

0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #300 on: June 05, 2007, 07:16:44 am »

I grow... closer to a "perfect" line-up of hitters.

It's like that point in a horror movie where the guy turning into a monster is told that he's getting worse and he instead claims that he's getting better. Because being a monster is better. Yeah. I am putting too much into this little game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #301 on: June 05, 2007, 02:38:16 pm »

Today, my 9 hitters are going to be playing 12 games. This could give me a huge boost in the counting stats if they would all just sack the fuck up.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #302 on: June 09, 2007, 09:55:56 pm »

fuck*ng Roger Clemens. I hang onto him for all this time, then I'm out late last night celebrating my wife's graduation, and I forget to set the lineup ahead of time. Fuck you, Roger. It wasn't your fault, but fuck you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #303 on: June 10, 2007, 02:14:45 am »

And he pitches six innings for the win. Nice!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #304 on: June 10, 2007, 08:37:59 pm »

And now Hafner plays an actual position? No wonder I don't follow baseball.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #305 on: June 10, 2007, 11:01:36 pm »

My guess is that... interleague play at National League parks finally got him the 5 starts necessary at a position to qualify for it in our type of fantasy league.

He came up as a first baseman so when they couldn't DH him but wanted his bat in the line-up in NL parks, they had to stick him at first and hope he didn't embarrass himself and... it musta happened five times.

If a player starts 5 times at a position, he's qualified to fill that roster slot in our league. Or if he comes into the game in some manner, starting or shifting over either way, 10 times, he's qualified.

Even though BJ Upton is usually an infielder, they gave him enough "rest" days playing the outfield for him to eventually qualify as an outfielder as well and now he's more versitile to me... when he's healthy, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2007, 04:50:39 am »

I didn't realize that. I was under the impression the Yahoo experts assigned positions at the beginning of the year and those just stuck. But then again, my lineup isn't really about versatility. I have sort of a lefty-righty platoon at second base with Kelly Johnson and Dan Uggla, but that's about all the shifting I do. I usually just run out my A-team every day.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2007, 01:54:31 pm »

I have utterly no clue what happened this week, but I like it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2007, 02:37:59 pm »

Which one of you guys are the Fightin' Phloggies? I tip my hat to you. A perfect record for the week is not easy to come by. I myself was close last week, with a 9-1 score on Sunday, but I managed to lose a couple pitching catergories on the very last day. Still, I can't complain with 7-2-1.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2007, 03:07:15 pm »

I'd bitch and moan about dropping to fourth, but I made up five games on the DHR.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #310 on: June 11, 2007, 04:19:24 pm »

Hey Radiodread, Turbo Ninjas and MOTHERFUCKERS, are you guys still playing?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #311 on: June 11, 2007, 11:20:59 pm »

Congratulations, Gorillas. Y'all done whupped on me.

I mirror my Mets.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #312 on: June 12, 2007, 01:37:03 am »

Three open questions to the collective:

What does the catcher say to the pitcher on the isolated occasions that he walks the ball out to him?

How do they decide when they are going to bunt?

What the fuck's a balk?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2007, 02:29:17 am »

Three open questions to the collective:

What does the catcher say to the pitcher on the isolated occasions that he walks the ball out to him?

How do they decide when they are going to bunt?

What the fuck's a balk?

They called like 3 balks on the pitcher in the College Super-Regional game I watched yesterday (My U of Louisville Cards are going to the CWS -- kicked Ok. State's ass 20-2!).  Apparently the pitcher's hands have to come to a complete stop before he begins his pitch.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2007, 04:01:07 am »

Three open questions to the collective:

What does the catcher say to the pitcher on the isolated occasions that he walks the ball out to him?

How do they decide when they are going to bunt?

What the fuck's a balk?

1. Sometimes it's to talk about pitching strategy in detail when simple hand signals aren't doing the trick. Other times, when a pitcher is getting rattled, it's to go out there and loosen him up, either with a "hang in there, buddy" or some kind of fart joke.

2. That's actually a pretty big debate among purists and stat-heads. There's no common rule for bunting, it's all up the the team's philosophy. Tony LaRussa's teams bunt all the goddamn time, while the Oakland A's almost never bunt.

3. I always just thought it was when the pitcher went from the windup back to just standing there while his foot is still on the rubber, but apparently there are waaaay more causes than I thought

Edit: wait, on the bunt thing do you mean how do players or manager's decide? Because players almost always get the sign from their manager. Batters rarely ever bunt on their own accord.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 79   Go Up