Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155640 times)

0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2007, 04:19:47 am »

Edit: wait, on the bunt thing do you mean how do players or manager's decide? Because players almost always get the sign from their manager. Batters rarely ever bunt on their own accord.

Well, I figured that was probably the case, but that's an interesting issue in and of itself (to me, anyway). How much of sports is like the managers playing chess against each other?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2007, 03:42:29 pm »

Okay, so I'm taking a pretty big risk today. I'm purposely benching one of my best starting pitchers, Rich Hill. Why? Well, the guy's a fly ball pitcher who throws a ton of strikes, and he's going against my Seattle Mariners. I've seen enough of their games to know that these guys are free-swinging hackers who play baseball like it was a videogame (swinging at anything within three feet of the strike zone). As a result, they'll fall for terrible balls outside the zone and hardly ever walk, but like 6 guys in the lineup are near or above .300. Their knack for hitting anything in the zone and Rich Hill's knack for throwing strikes is a surefire recipe for pitching disaster. At least I think so. I have no idea if this move will pay off, but we'll see.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:56 pm »

That's the best part of fantasy sports, to me. I love trying to outwit the matchups - like in football trying to figure out if you have an outside runner who always goes left, and your opponent that week has a strong defense on that side, or if they are only good against inside runners, or whatever.

Sometimes you are running against the Raiders, so you just act like it's Christmas.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2007, 08:26:58 pm »

Which one of you guys are the Fightin' Phloggies? I tip my hat to you. A perfect record for the week is not easy to come by. I myself was close last week, with a 9-1 score on Sunday, but I managed to lose a couple pitching catergories on the very last day. Still, I can't complain with 7-2-1.

That was me.  I held the 10-0 record going into Sunday, but I was only leading in WHIP 1.53 to 1.54, with none of my pitchers starting for that day.  Fortunately for me I managed to hold out anyway.  It's also nice to see there are four teams in legitimate contention for first now.  It's a real race again!

It's been a pretty wild ride for the Phlogistons lately.  The week before I still had my Magic Roundabout rotation going and racked up 64 strikeouts, and then this week my offense exploded.  I even managed to get more stolen bases than I did back when I was focusing on stolen bases to the exclusion of other stats.  I think my strategy is beginning to solidify now, but I'm just hoping my players didn't use up all their mojo in that one week, or I could find myself in trouble soon.  Time will tell.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2007, 03:19:42 am »

Hey Radiodread, Turbo Ninjas and MOTHERFUCKERS, are you guys still playing?

I am, kind of.  I got players I like (well, most of them), but do not want to waste time fuck*ng around too much with this.  My line-up seems good, but Ramirez and Andrew Jones have been struggling hard, I think that is hurting me bad.  I got Pedroia at the exact right time, though.  Also, most of my players are Red Sox, so I think it is a bad idea to have a lot of players on one team.

Also, I have a pitcher who through a no hitter tonight, and one who through a one hitter last week, but my only decent saves guy is on the bench.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 04:24:24 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2007, 04:11:46 am »

Yeah, you really ought to be given like 10 games in the standings for having a pitcher throw a no-hitter.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #321 on: June 13, 2007, 03:04:16 pm »

This season has been uncharacteristically hands-off for me.  Last year I actually had a "little conversation" with my boss about how people around the office noticed how much time I was spending tending to my fake baseball teams and maybe I wasn't busy enough with legitimate work.  This season, I'm at a new office and it's the kind of place where the IT manager could actually pull up my browsing history and pass it to my new boss.  The threat of being In Trouble for fantasy baseball again has made me ease off, but I pledge to visit my team at least three times a week.

That whitewashing last week shamed me into it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #322 on: June 13, 2007, 03:07:37 pm »

This season has been uncharacteristically hands-off for me.  Last year I actually had a "little conversation" with my boss about how people around the office noticed how much time I was spending tending to my fake baseball teams and maybe I wasn't busy enough with legitimate work.  This season, I'm at a new office and it's the kind of place where the IT manager could actually pull up my browsing history and pass it to my new boss.  The threat of being In Trouble for fantasy baseball again has made me ease off, but I pledge to visit my team at least three times a week.

That whitewashing last week shamed me into it.

We tend to get a little bit of loose talk like that around the office here. Fortunately I work 14 - 16 hours a day, so people are mostly reluctant to throw any stones.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #323 on: June 13, 2007, 08:23:22 pm »

I'm an unpaid intern, so they're lucky if I show up to work with ##### on.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #324 on: June 15, 2007, 12:41:35 pm »

What is the best way to find out which pitchers are starting?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #325 on: June 15, 2007, 03:21:07 pm »

Other than the little ^ thing before the opponent's name?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #326 on: June 15, 2007, 03:34:55 pm »

Yeah, just click a few days forward on your team screen and make sure every dude with a ^ next to their scheduled opponent is starting.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #327 on: June 15, 2007, 03:45:21 pm »

Also, I did not realize this, but sometimes your fielders will have a little 'x' right before the game. That turns out not to be good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #328 on: June 15, 2007, 03:54:17 pm »

I think that's something they only recently implemented. It means they're getting a day to sit on the bench and eat sunflower seeds, right?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #329 on: June 16, 2007, 05:31:49 am »

Let me know if anyone is interested in a football league up ins; I'd be willing and able to serve as commish (I know it's early, but pigskin is my sport).

Ok, I've gotten one response, so the teams ought to be pretty stacked. I'll wait and make a thread in July probably.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:59:56 pm by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 79   Go Up