Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155440 times)

0 Members and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2007, 04:55:03 am »

Yeah, Nabu. If you want to be the commish, I say go for it. I've no objections, except that you might not be able to read the Yahoo Sports TOS with those tiny eskimo eyes.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2007, 04:58:09 am »

Man, I just thought of something. September is gonna be hell for those of us whose baseball teams are still in the hunt. We'll be like this guy:

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2007, 02:02:44 pm »

There used to be a website out there that featured hypothetical jerseys, etc. for everything from baseball to Aussie Rules Football - a place for people who thought they could do better than what was out there to show off. Wish I could find it.

http://www.chriscreamer.com/?  Lots of design types who understand a little about Illustrator and/or Photoshop and deploy it in some of the ugliest ways imaginable.  The sig files are disgusting, considering these are people who want to be taken seriously as designers.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2007, 04:03:07 pm »

I'm in on a football league since I am having a hard time scaring up enough interest at work this year.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2007, 06:09:58 pm »

I'm in on a football league since I am having a hard time scaring up enough interest at work this year.

For the league or for work in general?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2007, 06:25:09 pm »

Near the end of first half of the fantasy season... I have 6 of the 32 players on the Can't Cut List when in an 8 team league the average should be 4... and I think that's a good thing. I'm riddled with injuries that brought me down for a few weeks there but hopefully, with Kotchman returning and Upton getting closer to returning, it is improving...

Of the two Big Crazy Moves I made so far...

Ichiro for Utley I believe has paid off because even though Ichiro's having an MVP year and Utley has a lower average and significantly less steals... Utley is better for runs, RBIs and home runs and... I've bolstered my team's hitting for average with some really solid free agent moves.

I think that was good for both of us.

Webb for Abreu was less successful as I pretty quickly had to dump Abreu to get more multi-position players on my team but... as all five of my starting pitchers have as-many-or-more wins than Webb and better ERAs, it was at least a wash and probably slightly better than a wash because he was Can't Cut and my roster became freer without him.

And Abreu ended up back with his original owner so... a slight upside for me and a huge upside for him.

I still have a flurry of moves I want to make if and when Upton is back and healthy to complete my transition to "Letters From Earth" but... I can't make them until then.

So far, so good.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2007, 06:27:46 pm »

For the league or for work in general?

Having a hard time scaring up interest in anything other than the chicken biryani that one of the guys brought in today.  (It was awesome, I will admit.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2007, 07:09:33 pm »

Having a hard time scaring up interest in anything other than the chicken biryani that one of the guys brought in today.  (It was awesome, I will admit.)

Man, that is one thing that I will never miss about Alaska. There is no Indian food anywhere in my town. Sure, you can try to make some yourself, but I've never gotten to make Naan and have it turn out decent. I make a damn good chicken korma and dal makhani and kheer...but the curries each take about 3 to 4 hours to prepare, so I hardly ever do it. My favorite Indian restaurant is in Boulder (since I have obviously never been to India...or even to places that have huge indian populations, such as London).

Mmmm...biryani...
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:17 pm »

Man, that is one thing that I will never miss about Alaska. There is no Indian food anywhere in my town. Sure, you can try to make some yourself, but I've never gotten to make Naan and have it turn out decent. I make a damn good chicken korma and dal makhani and kheer...but the curries each take about 3 to 4 hours to prepare, so I hardly ever do it. My favorite Indian restaurant is in Boulder (since I have obviously never been to India...or even to places that have huge indian populations, such as London).

Mmmm...biryani...

Hey, watch it there. We like to keep one token thread on-topic, and this one is it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2007, 08:04:52 pm »

Man, that is one thing that I will never miss about Alaska. There is no Indian food anywhere in my town. Sure, you can try to make some yourself, but I've never gotten to make Naan and have it turn out decent. I make a damn good chicken korma and dal makhani and kheer...but the curries each take about 3 to 4 hours to prepare, so I hardly ever do it. My favorite Indian restaurant is in Boulder (since I have obviously never been to India...or even to places that have huge indian populations, such as London).

Mmmm...biryani...

I'm surprised there is no Indian in Denver.  Very surprised.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2007, 08:12:10 pm »

Hey, watch it there. We like to keep one token thread on-topic, and this one is it.

OK, and let me also extend my vote of confidence for Nabu as commish.  I've been in leagues at a few different sites, and Yahoo! is far and away my favorite, so let me also extend my vote of confidence for Yahoo! to host the league. 
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2007, 08:41:43 pm »

I'm surprised there is no Indian in Denver.  Very surprised.
That came across wrong...there is plenty of Indian food in Denver, but my favorite is in Boulder. Then again... I haven't had much of a chance to scout out new Indian restaurants in a long time (3 years)...so I'm sure that there is one in Denver that eclipses Taj Mahal's stunningly perfect vegetable korma.

So, this pretend sports thing? Is there a primer or something that explains it? Because I periodically read this thread and am totally mystified as to how it works. Are fantasy sports like a role-playing game? You roll a 20 and you get the baddest hitter around for your team? How does the pretend team score points? This is crazy. I will Google this, because I suspect that my preconceived notions of Imaginary Sports is totally wrong.

Hey...is there an imaginary hockey thread yet? because I will totally get in on that, once I figure out how it works. I know that we have some folks who would disagree with my team, but I'm a huge Colorado Avalanche fan.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2007, 08:43:48 pm »

Ok thanks for clearing that up.  I mean, they have indian in Provo for goodness sake.

Yes, fantasy sports leauges are just like dungeons and dragons.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »


Hey...is there an imaginary hockey thread yet? because I will totally get in on that, once I figure out how it works. I know that we have some folks who would disagree with my team, but I'm a huge Colorado Avalanche fan.


Well, you will have to wait for a long time for that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2007, 09:02:34 pm »

Yes, fantasy sports leauges are just like dungeons and dragons.

Glavin...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 79   Go Up