Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155470 times)

0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2007, 01:04:35 am »

Wait, what about me!  I'm actually interested in Fantasy Football.  I go outta town for the weekend, and bang, left out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #406 on: July 02, 2007, 01:43:56 am »

Wait, what about me!  I'm actually interested in Fantasy Football.  I go outta town for the weekend, and bang, left out.

We could possibly stretch the field to twelve, but we'd have to get another fully committed player, and it would sort of dilute the draft pool. If everyone else is down, and we can get another entrant so it's still even, I guess I'm cool with it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #407 on: July 02, 2007, 01:47:56 am »

If the august... uhm... August one wants in, I'm for it.

Really my only complaint with an 8-man fantasy baseball league is that... there's pretty much always a few really good players on the free agent list and it's just a matter of keeping eyes, you know? Everyone has a few really good players at least.

An 12 team football league would probably play closer to "actual" general managering, you know?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #408 on: July 02, 2007, 02:11:36 am »

There are always good servicable players on the waiver wire.  Take this from a man who's played in 20-team leagues.  Hell, take it from a man who missed the draft one year (Live league, in those pre-interweb-football days) and came in fifth.

8 is like a candyland dream.  16 is enough to make you work.  12 is still pretty danged good.

Anyway, rules question:  would it be a horrible thing to change the TE spot to a TE/WR spot, or do you agree that it is OK?  I've always thought the TE was kind of a "Gates and Gonzales go early then everyone else is screwed" type of roster spot.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #409 on: July 02, 2007, 03:53:31 am »

Oh, man. It's quickly dawning on me that I know very little about the NFL compared to the MLB. I could get my ass handed to me in this league.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2007, 04:41:48 am »

We could possibly stretch the field to twelve, but we'd have to get another fully committed player, and it would sort of dilute the draft pool. If everyone else is down, and we can get another entrant so it's still even, I guess I'm cool with it.

Fine by me.  If the NFL gets by with 32 teams I'd think we can manage 12.
Oh, man. It's quickly dawning on me that I know very little about the NFL compared to the MLB. I could get my ass handed to me in this league.

At least you understand how a fantasy system works.  I've followed the NFL closely for about 18 years, but I fully expect to be completely non-competetive as a fantasy manager.


Anyway, rules question:  would it be a horrible thing to change the TE spot to a TE/WR spot, or do you agree that it is OK?  I've always thought the TE was kind of a "Gates and Gonzales go early then everyone else is screwed" type of roster spot.

See, here's an example.  I personally am very fond of the TE position.  I like offenses that are built with them, and I like the element that they bring to the game.  On the other hand, I can see how a stats based system would undervalue them (since they bring an intangible dimension relating to how linebackers have to react when a TE receiver is moving through their zones - not to mention run blocking) and a system based on catches, yards, TDs etc won't capture that.  So I officially have no opinion at the moment, but I'll grab Vernon Davis over another WR if I get the chance.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2007, 06:28:47 am »

Is Jeremy Shockey still alive or did he die in a moonshine-induced hillbilly shootout?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #412 on: July 02, 2007, 05:24:07 pm »

The thing is the truly great TEs always get picked up early, so you have to decide one way or another. Someone grabs Gates in the 4th, as opposed to the people who have both starting RBs, a passable QB and a top-tier WR.

That having been said, I don't have a huge problem with it, especially as my dad picked up what's-his-name last year who was the first player Yahoo listed as TE/WR, and who subsequently killed us.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #413 on: July 03, 2007, 09:02:28 am »

Craig Biggio doubled tonight to surpass Frank Thomas and move to no.5 on the all time list for doubles.  Guys having a heck of a week.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #414 on: July 03, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »

I do want to keep the league at an even number of teams, else we can't play head-to-head. Anyone want to join August in the great experiment?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #415 on: July 03, 2007, 04:57:21 pm »

So I became friends with Felix Hernandez over myspace, then posted a comment on his page saying it would be awesome if he could throw more curveballs. He's been terrible lately thanks largely to the fact that he's been throwing a ridiculous amount of fastballs. Well, lo and behold, last night he threw a ton more breaking balls and wound up pitching 8 innings with only two earned runs.

Now, I don't want to say that I helped my fantasy team by directly influencing a real life player, but the evidence is there.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2007, 05:53:15 pm »

I'd definitely be willing to even things up to get August into the league.  Though I have less time than I did in the past for web-boarding, I always make time for fantasy football and can guarantee I'd be on the league's site more often than I hang around here these days.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #417 on: July 03, 2007, 08:24:15 pm »

Hurray!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #418 on: July 03, 2007, 08:42:11 pm »

Okey doke. There are two more spots, and I've changed the playoffs to a six-team bracket, instead of four.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #419 on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »

Awesome.  I've joined as "The Barksdale Crew".
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 79   Go Up