Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156129 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #435 on: July 08, 2007, 03:40:42 am »

Well, I meant it in a I know what it means but it doesn't help me get a lower WHIP in the fantasy league way, you know.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #436 on: July 08, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »

Well played, Monkeys.

I think we're looking at 6-4 this week.

Your starting pitching and homerun hitting ninja are strong.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #437 on: July 09, 2007, 01:48:05 am »

I got corned again.

I'm pretty sure there is something fundamental going on here that I am not understanding.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #438 on: July 09, 2007, 02:58:31 am »

From looking at your team quickly, Nabu?

1.) You're running with only one catcher and only one second baseman right now.

You're dicked out of the "accumulated" stats whenever one of those guys takes a rest day or their team doesn't play.

If you'd've been able to put anybody in those places on the days Buck and Wigginton were sitting, you could've at least had a few more RBI and runs, even if it caused your average to suffer a bit.

2.) You only have two save generating relief pitchers. Okajima's great but he's mostly a set-up man, not a closer... running out there with only two closers will probably average out to you losing the save category.

3.) You're all power, no average. Every hitter on your team is double-digit in home runs... and that's great? But you've only got two guys hitting over .300... and that doesn't just effect your average stat... there's also the simple fact that if you're not getting on base, it's hard to drive in runs and to be driven in as runs.

My advice would be... first of all, you've got four first basemen. Dropping one or two of them probably wouldn't really hurt you all that much, especially if you drop Hafner who can only play 1B or Wilkerson who can only play 1B or OF and... you're pretty good for outfielders.

Remember, you only got one 1B slot, three OF slots and one utility slot to put an extra guy out of one of those two categories.

You've got two SS eligibles, you've got two 3B eligibles, even if you drop Wilkerson, you've got five outfield eligibles... you're strong enough at those positions.

Is Kinsler coming back any time soon? This has to factor in.

I'd say... drop Hafner and Wilkerson, find some batting average at C and 2B and then...

Pick a starting pitcher to drop, whichever is least effective in your eyes and... pick up a closer.

You'd have a better rounded squad, I reckon.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #439 on: July 09, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

Thanks!

Unfortunately Hafner's a can't cut.

Good news! I have a player named Yorvit! That makes the whole year worthwhile, right there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 03:43:12 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Baseball.
« Reply #440 on: July 09, 2007, 05:20:49 am »

Jenks came up in the Angel's system and was basically moved on because of his recalcitrance to conditioning. In about the same timeframe they threw huge wads of ca$h at Colons fat head.

I gues they didn't want to corner the market on oversized pitchers. But I guess proven large dude over unproven large dude makes some sort of sense.
That sounds like the sanitized version. White Sox fans have always heard that he had drinking problems that got him into trouble. Anyway, the Angels always seem to have a great bullpen and I don't think he ever would've been a good starter (yes, conditioning has something to do with that).
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #441 on: July 09, 2007, 08:16:55 am »

Well, I am in no place to give advice, and I haven't even looked at your team, but drop Okajima.  He is damn good, but will hardly benefit you in Fantasy Baseball.  This is to get the new Reliever.

I have really big fundamental flaws, so you know, take that as you will.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #442 on: July 09, 2007, 10:31:17 am »

So I became friends with Felix Hernandez over myspace, then posted a comment on his page saying it would be awesome if he could throw more curveballs. He's been terrible lately thanks largely to the fact that he's been throwing a ridiculous amount of fastballs. Well, lo and behold, last night he threw a ton more breaking balls and wound up pitching 8 innings with only two earned runs.

Now, I don't want to say that I helped my fantasy team by directly influencing a real life player, but the evidence is there.

Actually, you would be surprised how close you got.  Someone wrote a blog/ open letter which basically said that, the pitching coach showed it to him and it worked.

http://deadspin.com/sports/listen-to-the-internet-and-its-sweet-secrets/felix-hernandez-informed-by-internet-that-he-has-other-pitches-besides-fastball-276042.php
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #443 on: July 17, 2007, 01:06:24 am »

I now have an all Japanese stable of catchers. Two of them! Well, one and a half. Kenji Johjima is from Japan but Kurt Suzuki is actually from Hawaii. Still, that's one and a half more Japanese catchers than any of you clowns!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #444 on: July 17, 2007, 05:44:22 pm »

I now have an all Japanese stable of catchers. Two of them! Well, one and a half. Kenji Johjima is from Japan but Kurt Suzuki is actually from Hawaii. Still, that's one and a half more Japanese catchers than any of you clowns!

Yes, but do you have a player named Yorvit?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #445 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:02 pm »

My back-up shortstop is from Albany and comes out to GNR music.

I automatically win.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #446 on: July 17, 2007, 08:59:13 pm »

Yes, but do you have a player named Yorvit?

He used to play on the Mariners. His name loses a lot of novelty after you hear that his parents just couldn't decide between Yorman or Victor, so they combined them.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #447 on: July 17, 2007, 09:05:10 pm »

He used to play on the Mariners. His name loses a lot of novelty after you hear that his parents just couldn't decide between Yorman or Victor, so they combined them.

It loses novelty because they couldn't rule out Yorman? How unusual does something have to be for someone as jaded as you to raise an eyebrow?

"Huh, the mailman's being chased by flying monkeys armed with spearguns - oh good, he brought his light sabre. Sweetie, is that coffee ready yet?"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2007, 09:17:04 pm »

Yorman is a fairly popular name in Latin America! Or at least I thought. Upon further research, there's only been one other baseball player with the name Yorman. I stand corrected.

Actually, this reminds me of something. When he played in Seattle, his nickname on the M's blogosphere was JoeJessica. Joe Torre. Jessica Alba. Hee hee hee.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2007, 12:06:55 am »

Wait - baseball players know how to use computers?  For functions other than surfing porn and getting email from their agents?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79   Go Up