Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 155561 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #465 on: July 26, 2007, 02:07:23 am »

Yeah, thank god someone reads KSK and Deadspin (I am assuming) besides me.  I am always linking to their stories.  Anyhow, Deadspin had an article today and I am considering "Body by Mangini".
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2007, 02:12:38 pm »

I am getting my ass handed to me this week so far, largely because two of my starting pitchers blew up and went down with injuries yesterday. Jeez.

I've been spending all this time getting my hitting ducks in a row, time to work on pitching, I suppose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #467 on: July 27, 2007, 08:02:13 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen...

The fifteenth really-fair offer I've made to A-CAP for Russell Martin has gone through to him and will probably be ignored.

I made an offer for Martin back in May after Mauer got hurt.  He responded to me back then, but with a counterproposal I wasn't ready to accept.

Nobody ought to be throwing in the towel just yet.  Only the bottom two teams in the league miss out on the playoffs, so even if your team is mired in the cellar you can still fight for sixth place and hope for a lucky championship run in September.

Also, well played indeed, sir.  That's three straight Phlogistons vs. Random-Mark-Twain-Reference matchups that have ended in a 5-5-0 tie.  I was more proud of that than my perfect 10-0-0 week back when LFM had double-digit leads in the standings.  Whatever will happen if we meet in the playoffs and draw again?  Paper-scissors-rock?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2007, 11:02:29 pm »

Chase Utley broke his hand.

Crap on a crap cracker.

Hello again, Jeff Kent. It has been a while.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2007, 12:25:07 am »

You couldn't keep away from that mustache for long.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #470 on: July 30, 2007, 01:19:59 am »

Upon reflection at the end of July, I've made two bad moves with this team.

1.) Givin' up on Brandon Webb... who eventually shaped up into himself again.

2.) Givin' up on Chone Figgins... who heated the hell up once he was truly healthy.

My team's only holes left are the fifth starter and the fifth outfielder and... they would'a qualified for those slots.

In all the other slots, I got the best players I could get my hands on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #471 on: July 30, 2007, 03:59:36 am »

Last week: 0-10.
This week: 8-0.

I promise, I am slightly better at the football.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #472 on: July 30, 2007, 04:48:16 am »

I'm looking forward to football season. It should be interesting, if nothing else. I'm not a huge football guy. I know about as much about football as a die-hard basketball and baseball fan should expect to know. That is to say, all I really know I've learned through osmosis by accidentally catching a glance at a football headline while trying to read up on the other sports.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #473 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:39 pm »

Trade deadline tomorrow! The real one, not the fantasy one. Should be exciting, if nothing else.

Who has Mark Teixera? I pity you. Your guy just went from hitting in a total bandbox to hitting in a slight pitcher's stadium. Hopefully moving to the relative suckiness of the NL (no offense, LFM) will offset that just a little, but probably not by much.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2007, 12:31:54 am »


Who has Mark Teixera?

That would be me.  Gee, a drop-off in Teixera's stats?  That would be hard, considering he's been on the DL all but about 2 weeks this year.  Also, he's on the no-drop list.  YAY!


On edit:

WOOT!  5K posts.  Nabu has got it exactly correct.  I ain't amounting to nothin'.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:46:50 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2007, 01:45:15 am »

That would be me.  Gee, a drop-off in Teixera's stats?  That would be hard, considering he's been on the DL all but about 2 weeks this year.  Also, he's on the no-drop list.  YAY!

AW with 5k posts! Whooooo-HOOOOO! You're wasting your life, boy - you'll never amount to anything messing around with them there internets.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2007, 06:02:06 am »

That would be me.  Gee, a drop-off in Teixera's stats?  That would be hard, considering he's been on the DL all but about 2 weeks this year.  Also, he's on the no-drop list.  YAY!


On edit:

WOOT!  5K posts.  Nabu has got it exactly correct.  I ain't amounting to nothin'.

Jesus Christ, dude. 5,000. Damn.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2007, 04:25:26 pm »

That's right, AW is the Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn of TOUAMB.

Absolutely right. He's our Gordie Howe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #478 on: July 31, 2007, 04:25:49 pm »

I like to think that makes Keith Hernandez our Keith Hernandez.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #479 on: July 31, 2007, 06:25:53 pm »

I'm the guy that can really move the ball down the field, but can't seem to put it in the end zone.

August West is Joe Montana, Roger Stauback, Terry Bradshaw and Johnny Unitis all rolled up in one.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 79   Go Up