Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79   Go Down

Author Topic: Pretend Sports  (Read 156424 times)

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #510 on: August 20, 2007, 09:25:55 pm »

So here's how the day went:

11:45 - I try to log in to the live draft.  IE chokes and I'm not on the computer with Firefox.  I download Firefox.

11:55 - With Firefox installed, I head for the team page and start the live draft page.  It needs java.  I download java.

12:00 - My break begins simultaneously with the draft.

12:02 - Java finishes installing and I get in to see that Yahoo chose Steven Jackson over Shaun Alexander.  Not horrible, but not my choice.

12:06 - I make some real picks.  I choose RBs.

12:13 - I get Gonzales and my first QB.  I queue up some backup QBs, then some WRs because break's over at 12:15 and I have to switch offices.

12:15 - Yahoo decides that I want a lot of receivers.  A ton of them.  None of them are Calvin Johnson, who I would've had ranked higher than all of the ones I got.

12:25 on - I manage to pay attention long enough to get a backup QB, a D, and a K.

So if my draft picks look kind of spazzed out, it's because I had about 10 minutes total to think about them.  I think I'm ok though, overall.  3 starting RBs isn't bad.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #511 on: August 21, 2007, 12:09:25 am »

Here's how my day went:

5:08 PM - Log into email, see Yahoo notification reminding me of the live draft that took place several hours ago

5:09 - My team suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #512 on: August 21, 2007, 12:11:00 am »

I should also note that I only recognize about a quarter of the players on my team, though most of that is due to my general NFL ignorance. I may be doing well in fantasy baseball, but my team is going to blow big time in football.

Aaaaanddd I just edited my team name to reflect the level of talent on my team.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:16:17 am by melack »
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2007, 01:05:40 am »

Hmmm... Jon Kitna as my quarterback? That's... fantastic.

This marks the second time I've had TO on my roster. I hate the man with a passion, but I can't argue with results. There's also my obligatory Redskin (hello, Clinton), and a Hall of Fame kicker. This could be interesting.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2007, 01:08:48 am »

I should also note that I only recognize about a quarter of the players on my team, though most of that is due to my general NFL ignorance. I may be doing well in fantasy baseball, but my team is going to blow big time in football.

Aaaaanddd I just edited my team name to reflect the level of talent on my team.
I knew something was fucked up when you picked Joey Galloway, and then Derrick Mason? Please! My wife had to finish up the draft as I was laughing too hard.

Seriously, you got a pretty solid team, I think. Your first two WRs are as good as anyone could expect. Wille Parker will do ok, and Chester Taylor might actually explode, given that their other option is a rookie with injury issues. You might have some work to do at QB, but that's about the easiest position to shore up post-draft. SD could be argued as the best DEF. I don't know anything about Greg Olsen, but he's your backup TE, and as such does not matter. He doesn't have a QB anyway.

Whoops - I forgot Vince Young was on Madden '08. He won't take a meaningful snap.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #515 on: August 21, 2007, 01:16:55 am »

Golfhaus, did it auto-draft for you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #516 on: August 21, 2007, 01:28:09 am »

When I realized that I was not going to be able to make the draft, I went in and made some adjustments. Removed Vick from consideration in case the program didn't do it automatically, added a few preferences, and let it go. Interesting, I got a lot of who I was looking for. Owens, Portis, and Vinateri were on the list. Basically, my strategy was to draft one Redskin out of loyalty and finish out by drafting people I hated. I figure, if I feel that strongly about a person, they have to at least have enough talent to make me care. Of my top four most-hateds, only Peyton eluded me.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #517 on: August 21, 2007, 02:58:37 am »

I think that it is telling of my football knowledge when I say that I have no idea if I suck or if I do not suck.

It seems that I drafted the guy whose name I was most aware of in any given round and... I do not believe that's a winning formulae at all.

I am pretty good at fantasy baseball because I know a lot about baseball... so I'm guessing fantasy football will be the opposite-ish.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #518 on: August 21, 2007, 03:03:32 am »

When I realized that I was not going to be able to make the draft, I went in and made some adjustments. Removed Vick from consideration in case the program didn't do it automatically, added a few preferences, and let it go. Interesting, I got a lot of who I was looking for. Owens, Portis, and Vinateri were on the list. Basically, my strategy was to draft one Redskin out of loyalty and finish out by drafting people I hated. I figure, if I feel that strongly about a person, they have to at least have enough talent to make me care. Of my top four most-hateds, only Peyton eluded me.

I figured it must have been automatically, because I think Portis was a reach in round 1 and Gates was arguably early, and there's no way you want to draft a kicker in the fourth. Vincent Jackson was a steal in the eighth. The rest of your draft seemed pretty solid.

LFM, if Peterson explodes you could be sitting pretty, I'd say. Eli's just about done, but Brees is a top three pick at QB. I almost grabbed Wes Welker. If Moss goes into the toilet (a 50/50 proposition) he could put up some numbers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #519 on: August 21, 2007, 03:34:32 am »

I'd be all for fantasy hockey, by the by.

I know even less about hockey than football so it could be interesting as hell.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #520 on: August 21, 2007, 03:47:04 am »

I'd be all for fantasy hockey, by the by.

I know even less about hockey than football so it could be interesting as hell.

I don't know much about Violence Ball, but damn it's fun to watch. I mean, I named one of my little boys Milan, after Milan Hejduk.  He was drafted by the Nordiques before they got shipped to Denver and became the Colorado Avalanche, and he's still with the Avs. I'm dying to get a #23 jersey. Someday I will get one. Anyway, fantasy hockey sounds rad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 03:51:44 am by linnea »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #521 on: August 21, 2007, 03:47:43 am »

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #522 on: August 21, 2007, 04:02:45 am »

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I've said it before, sweetheart... fuck the Red Wings. I challenge you to come to Denver and see an Avs game with me.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #523 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:13 am »

I think that it is telling of my football knowledge when I say that I have no idea if I suck or if I do not suck.

It seems that I drafted the guy whose name I was most aware of in any given round and... I do not believe that's a winning formulae at all.

I am pretty good at fantasy baseball because I know a lot about baseball... so I'm guessing fantasy football will be the opposite-ish.

We're in the same boat, then. I looked at the TE on my team and had no idea who he was or if he was any good. So I checked out the list of available tight ends (hurr hurr) and couldn't recognize any of them except for Jerramy Stevens. I was tempted to add him because we both went to the same college, but then I remembered that he is an absolutely awful human being. This is the same reason I dumped AJ Pierzynksi from my baseball team. I am okay with having a bad team, but for some reason I don't like having somone I loathe as a person on my team.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretend Sports
« Reply #524 on: August 21, 2007, 04:42:33 am »

What is this "Hokk - ee" of which you speak?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79   Go Up