I have never used rose hips in cooking. However I would like to point out that there are several hookah bars in my city, and while I've never actually tried smoking anything using a hookah (I limit my smoking experiences to the occasional--i.e. once a year--fine cigar, and that's it), the atmosphere at the hookah bars is always very pleasant and relaxing. It's quite unlike the raucous atmosphere found at other bars where the smoking is more "Western," you could say.
An acquaintance of mine just opened a hookah bar here; I missed the grand opening party because I had rehearsal, but it seemed like a pleasant enough affair. I would imagine that adding rose hips to hookah tabacco would add to the experience.
To return to topic, I just did a little search for you. If you can (as in, if you engage in the preservation of foods via canning, versus if you are able to), here is a
jelly recipe using rose hips. Perhaps you'll find it useful. If you try it, let us know; I'm curious to know how it is.