Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballet  (Read 6611 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 02:46:04 am »

Linnea, how often do you get to see the ballet? I'm glad you enjoy it. :)

I grew up in Denver, so I got to see performances at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts a couple of times. Now I live in rural Alaska, so I haven't seen a ballet in at least ten years.

When I go back to Colorado for my dad's wedding this summer I plan to hit the Denver Art Museum and I should check to see what is in store at the DCPA.

Muse, what's your favorite ballet? Also, what has been your favorite role in ballet so far?
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 04:21:46 am »

Ah...I really enjoy Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker. I think of all the Nutcrackers I've seen (and I've seen a lot of different companies' versions), theirs is my favorite. As far as a favorite ballet of all time, that's tough to say. Lee Wei-Chao's "Beyond Invisible" rearranged my molecular structure the first time I saw it. Utterly sublime. Ailey's "Revelations" gives me chills. Jean-Paul Comelin's "Requiem" (set to Mozart's Requiem) made me see God (but that could also be because I find choral music from that period to be transcendental).

Alonzo King's Lines Ballet and the Joffrey have done too many works that I've enjoyed for me to mention; their names have long since left me and I'm simply left with fleeting images and impressionistic feelings. In my view that's how it should be; like wine or a good meal--savored, transportative, sublime, ephemeral. That's the magic of live performing arts, really.

Going back in time a bit, I'd have to say Balanchine's "Apollo" was the first time I really saw what ballet could be, "beyond the tutu" as it were. I was pretty young at the time and remember being blown away by the sheer revolutionary aplomb of it. Even though it was pretty "establishment" by the time I saw it, it was brand new to me, and way beyond the 19th-century foundation I'd been cemented in up until that point. Balanchine's "Jewels" holds a special place like that for me too, for the same reason. I saw both again many years later, and they seemed boxed-in and dated; but of course by then I was a jaded adult who'd seen ballet push beyond itself into the now. This was well after the aforementioned molecularly-transformative "Beyond Invisible".

Of course, we owe a lot to that 19th-century stuff, and as cliche as it sounds, Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are delicious pleasures for me every time; even though I can't watch them without my muscle memory tripping, and I end up tensing and shifting unconsciously in my seat as the music cues my muscle memory. They're wholly predictable, but they're called classics for a reason.

I also love a sexy, contemporary piece (which shall remain nameless for reasons of confidentiality) that my company did two years ago. We commissioned a local composer and set the piece for a special performing arts gala in our city. I love watching this ballet and it was one of my most favorite roles to perform. Other favorite roles to perform are: Diamond Fairy in "Sleeping Beauty," Fanny Cerrito in "Pas de Quatre," and Spanish in Nutcracker.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ballet
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 02:27:10 pm »


I have no videos, but I do have a couple of photographs... let's see... ah. Here we go: I danced Spanish in our Nutcracker this year , and here I am backstage after warmup and applying makeup; about to put on my cossie. Notice the fine and appropriate shirt. Try not to let the frightening amounts of eyeliner scare you.

Oh, just so you all don't think I normally run around with my face painted to scare the lovin right out of a man, here's what I look like normally (well, after France beat Brazil in the World Cup semis, and I'd had a few Stellas, anyhow): Allez, les Bleus!


I don't know how we've managed it, but TOUAMB has attracted another beautiful woman.  We're batting 1.000 around here.  I hesitate to take credit for it as a message board, so I guess we should give the credit to Onstad for appealing to female readers who are smart, sexy and funny.  Just one more thing that he's better than me at.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Ballet
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 03:09:26 pm »

Oh yea, we forgot that one. Ballerinas may be fucked up, have fucked up arches, but they can be hella glamorous and beautiful.

(And now I remember the name of the ballerina who was an answer to a quiz question the other day... D'oh).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up