Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?  (Read 23021 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 05:51:36 am »

Oh man, both insulting LFM's excellent answer and not even being able to spell Onstad's name correctly... They're just not making those TOUAMB n00bs like they used to.

Hey now. I resemble that remark.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

katal

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 06:31:41 am »

I kind of feel guilty for being relatively new to the board and NOT being a sick fuck (I hope) or a girl.

anyway, it's incredible to imagine that some people (EFH) even read and "get" Achewood.

I never cared too much for the Tenmen. This is probably because I really started thinking about them right about the time of their appearance at the GOF, which I began to dislike the moment Beef got cocky & I realized that Ray was going to win.
=(
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:33 am »

... the GOF, which I began to dislike the moment Beef got cocky & I realized that Ray was going to win.

It's okay to feel this way. The GOF was fun and all, but eh. I've never understood why it got so much attention, when, say, a strip like Titty Buxx (just for one random example) will provide lasting giggles for basically the rest of my life.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 09:00:38 am »

I met a girl in real life the other day who knew of Achewood.
I shunned her, though, because she said "oh god, another one?" and said that it was "really fucked up, not that funny" to her friend.

Also because she said Questionable Content was actually funny. (come on people. I read it, but... have you ever laughed at one of the jokes?)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 09:54:51 am »

It's okay to feel this way. The GOF was fun and all, but eh. I've never understood why it got so much attention, when, say, a strip like Titty Buxx (just for one random example) will provide lasting giggles for basically the rest of my life.

I always felt that the GOF was a pretty cool story that could have a wider audience appeal than a lot of the other strips, especially the really depressing/screwed up/cat cock variety.  I for one will always laugh at the strip where the last three panels are just Lyle slowly raising his middle finger to Teodor, and the recent road sign one, among many.

And yeah, Titty Buxx (The lottery for women) always fills me with glee as well.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 11:44:50 am »

inev:  How did you find out she knew of Achewood if she didn't like it?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »

I always figured Achewood just needed a house band. Ergo, The Tenmen. Big enough to play the GOF, accessible enough that Ray could have them perform at his blue toilet party.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 02:30:22 pm »

All comp-sci buildings should have full locker rooms with shower facilities.

I think they tried this at one time, but got rid of the showers because they were going unused.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 06:40:50 pm »

As a (relatively) hot(ish) nerd-girl and a noob here, i had to pop in on this thread

Quote
All comp-sci buildings should have full locker rooms with shower facilities.

Also all humanities and social science buildings. The last three semesters I quite literally lived in the computer lab. They should also have those little traveling-Japanese-businessmen tiny hotel-beds for sleeping.

And as for QC, I do think it's kind of funny. More about the writing in that one and the tiny jokes. I think IndieTits is actually pretty hilarious.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:19 pm »

Keith-- One of my friends made a joke about my "awesome internet friends." She asked what the other girl meant. I said that I talk to a few people online about a comic I like, no big deal.

The other girl enjoyed enumerating claims about my internet friends which she derides as obvious lies-- playwright, Animal Enthusiast/Zoo Worker, handlebar mustache, guy who lives in St Louis and isn't a rapist, woman who lives in Alaska and is hell of EMS, cute girl who goes to Smith...
Apparently these are not real concepts.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 08:20:19 pm »

There is no doubt about it, people who really enjoy Achewood are a rare kind of awesome and...

You're generally gonna find they're otherwise into awesome and/or weird things, too.

You're going to have to explain that it is a strip specifically created in overseas factories for the sole purpose of entertaining sick fucks and hot nerd-girls. Hopefully, this will trap the offending lady into saying something like: "But I'm a hot nerd-girl and I don't like it!"

And then you can stare at her for a second, causing her to realize that you are either pointing out that she is not hot or is not a nerd, whichever of those things would offend her most.

If she is hot but not a nerd, she will be offended that you are calling her less than hot. If she is a nerd, she will be offended that you are calling her not a nerd. If she is neither, she will think you're claiming she has a c*ck but... when she flashes you her pu$$y, it really won't be that awesome because she's clearly not a hot nerd-girl.

In any case, you have called her on the fact that... as she is not into Achewood, there is a ceiling to how awesome of a person she could actually be.

People are offended by how awesome people into Achewood are, you see.

It is disrespectful to their lesser level of awesomeness. Being into Achewood is totally Rude.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:45 pm »

yeah, um, she was not  hot nerd girl.

I would have actually been kind of offended if she had been into achewood.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 09:15:41 pm »


The other girl enjoyed enumerating claims about my internet friends which she derides as obvious lies-- playwright, Animal Enthusiast/Zoo Worker, handlebar mustache, guy who lives in St Louis and isn't a rapist, woman who lives in Alaska and is hell of EMS, cute girl who goes to Smith...
Apparently these are not real concepts.

You know, when you put it that way, I don't think I believe in us either.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 11:33:30 pm »

Tenman with the Figments is actually a usable name, methinkings.
Logged
We must repeat!

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me why The Tenmen is funny?
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:53 pm »

I had been avoiding this thread, but I see that a blossoming discussion has since sprung from the fetid carcass of trollish stupidity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like how the GOF panned out.  It was Ray tearing off that guy's face1 that killed it for me.  Until that point it was this undercurrent that Ray and Beef were in over their heads, and sooner or later the shit was going to hit the fan.  Blood-of-Champion aside, neither of them was really qualified to be in there, their "army" comprised a bunch of disaffected social rejects, and Ray's early victories had all been set up by Roast Beef to give him a huge advantage.  I honestly thought Sound and Motion was going to take Ray out with his Recumbent Tai-Chi at one point.  It wasn't a question of whether they would win the fight, but whether they would survive.  Once Ray had actually proven himself the whole thing was basically a forgone conclusion.  Also, that arc was responsible for Vlad shaving his head.  I miss Vlad's hair.

On a different note, I know this has been discussed before, but if anyone has those two Tenmen songs that used to be on Achewood Radio and would be willing to send me a copy, please let me know.  I had them on my old hard drive, but that has since been lost in a tragic fist-related accident.

[1] EDIT: One year ago, to the day.  I didn't even realize.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 02:13:42 am by iron_felix »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up