Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sexy, naked... harddrive!  (Read 12136 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 09:24:06 pm »

damn, I want an Apple. I wish I hadn't bought a new laptop over the summer. And by bought, i mean my parents bought.

It is a weird feeling to realize that the next time I buy a computer, I will be buying it. I mean, i payed for part of the previous one... but... that's different from straight-up buying it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:55 am »

Somebody, anybody please help me.  I have spent at least five hours trying to transfer my iPod/music from one system to the other using the iPod itself and following these instructions.  I get to the "Copy music to new computer" and everything goes to hell.  Since I'm just getting used to Vista and the instructions are clearly for XP (and I only had 98), so I'm totally confused - there is no My Computer file, but there is "Computer" which seems to be the same thing.  I can see my iPod there, but when I open it there is no iTunes folder in there, making step 5 impossible.  I've been trying so hard figure it out without any luck to the point where I'm just so frustrated that I can't think straight anymore.  Anyone have any idea what to do now?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:49:29 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 12:23:52 am »

Hmm, there should be an iTunes folder in the My Music folder of My Documents no matter what version of Windows you're using.

Are both you computers up and running? Are they both connected to the same router? If so it might be easier to transfer files via Sharing

Also, Audiograbber + LAME is way better than EAC unless your disc is damaged (scratches, scuffs, &c) in which case EAC is better but still harder to use.

I use Kaspersky as my AV program. I go in spurts where I DL from eMule a lot and don't trust it enough to go without a scanner. Kaspersky isn't free though.

IIRC, µTorrent was recently acquired by BitTorrent and is now an official client.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:27:30 am by CortJstr »
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 12:43:56 am »

or, you know, you could buy one instead of perfume?

*ducks* kidding!

Wow... I just went through and tallied up all my purchases and... I could probably have got a low-end Apple laptop for what I've spent.

I want the $3,000 one so I guess I'll just wait until I get a rich paramour.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 02:37:44 pm »

Yeah, I could have had a new system months ago if it weren't for all that sushi.

Cort - both computers are up and running.  Please feel free to chuckle at my lameness, but I don't know what a router is.  I can tell you that the two systems are not connected to each other, and that I only have the one DSL line which is currently hooked to the new system.

Jough - I'm not at home right now, and I can't tell you off the top of my head what sort of Video card I have, but I can tell you that Vista is indeed quite pretty - the transparancies are nice, but only functional in a vague sort of way. 

Also, I can't believe how annoying Norton Anti Virus is - that Mac commercial is totally true! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 04:08:23 pm »

Yeah, I could have had a new system months ago if it weren't for all that sushi.

Cort - both computers are up and running.  Please feel free to chuckle at my lameness, but I don't know what a router is.  I can tell you that the two systems are not connected to each other, and that I only have the one DSL line which is currently hooked to the new system.

A router is a device that allows more than one computer to be connected to high-speed modem at the same time. It also has the side effect of allowing multple computers to "see" and access the files on the other machines hooked into the router.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 05:33:52 pm »

Wow... I just went through and tallied up all my purchases and... I could probably have got a low-end Apple laptop for what I've spent.

I want the $3,000 one so I guess I'll just wait until I get a rich paramour.

On the bright side, maybe all the perfume will help you attract one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

ugh, I hate mac commercials.  It was the only reason that I almost didn't buy a mac.  That, and the fact that everyone says "designed in california, made in (insert third world country)".  For some reason both of these things really bug me, but not enough to fuck with windows again.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:53 am »

Actually, their new Vista ad is really pretty accurate.

<Jough is making a comment about the new Apple advertisement. Permit or deny?>

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 02:27:24 am »

I just yesterday bought a Macbook Pro. I'm typing this post on it.

This is after 15 years on DOS and Windows PCs, 9 of them in web development.

I'm still not sold on it, but I think I might come around. Why does the squiggly/apple key do EVERYTHING and the F keys do ONE THING ONLY?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 01:36:47 pm »

The function keys on the macbook pro are pretty worthless. But there are some cool tricks with the "Fn" key
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:23:12 pm »

which reminds me...
on my old laptop, there were three little buttons on the top which you could program to do whatever you wanted, as well as an "open internet browser" button. I still jab at that area when I open my laptop up-- I had one set to AIM, and the other two set to specific internet sites. I suppose that's archaic now that you can program your Firefox to do that... but I'm not sure how. is it a plugin?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 05:54:09 pm »

which reminds me...
on my old laptop, there were three little buttons on the top which you could program to do whatever you wanted, as well as an "open internet browser" button. I still jab at that area when I open my laptop up-- I had one set to AIM, and the other two set to specific internet sites. I suppose that's archaic now that you can program your Firefox to do that... but I'm not sure how. is it a plugin?

Tools -> Options -> General -> Home Page. Just separate URIs with commas. Or there's a "Use Current Pages" button that will automatically use whatever tabs you have open at the time.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 09:23:58 pm »

wow. It didn't occur to me that it would be so simple. thanks!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Sexy, naked... harddrive!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:56 pm »

Alright, so I just put my old computers (completely crapped out) harddrive into a case that allowed me to drag out my important folders.  I got all of the music I had on there and, well that is really all I got.  What I didn't get:  Every college paper I have ever written, about 10 word pages worth of song lyrics and about 10 recorded songs.  All of these were in My Documents, which seems to be completely erased.  I am basically positive that I have lost these things, but could somebody just go ahead and verify that they are lost so I can put it behind me.  The recent downloads were on my desktop, which appears to be the only thing that made it.  Am I completely screwed?

Oh yes, I can get .lnk files on all of the important things, but obviously that doesn't really help me (unless it does).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 08:18:29 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up