Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us  (Read 10828 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Teldin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »

The best part of this strip was

Oh my god I see it


Like it is some kind of revelation, an epiphany, if you will.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:39:07 pm »

Hey, shut up, I liked Load.

Gimme that highball.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 02:24:04 pm »

(I've actually kind of wondered if I have this. On one hand, both my parents drank heavily in their youth, and I can have a beer or two no problem; on the other hand, the last time I had two hard lemonades in quick succession I felt really seriously woozy, as I did when I went wine tasting during my Cornell interviews.)

Speaking from experience, you might get over this with practice. But I guess the question is whether it's a useful skill to acquire. We know how Lyle would vote on that question of course.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:11 pm »

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's actually not uncommon, although it tends to be one of those genetic differences that falls along ethnic lines most heavily. Basically, it involves a breakdown in the alcohol-metabolism chain such that drinking makes you hella nauseous, and usually you puke long before you get tipsy.

Cecil drops some knowledge on the subject

Also:

Quote from: Airheads
Chazz: Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God?
Chris Moore: Lemmy.
[Rex imitates a game show buzzer]
Chris Moore: ... God?
Rex: Wrong, dickhead, trick question. Lemmy *IS* God.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 04:04:43 pm »

V-Adore, you could possibly have the enzyme deficiency if both of your parents are heterozygous for the no drinkin' gene. I'm not sure what that means for your parents though because I'm not a science major.

I have read recently in New Scientist that the no-drinkin' gene is dominant, which means that even if someone has just one copy they still have the no-drinkin' effects, which means that you can't have it if both your parents can drink without ill effect. Unless, of course, the gene has undergone a novel, analogous mutation in you.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:14 pm »

Ok, I'm only going to do this once.  I mean no offense to anyone, but I think announcing that you are giving someone a can is kind of a Hunt's move:  I won't do it.  However, something like the above quote is an exception.  This is the first and only time I will do this.

Announcing that announcing that one is giving someone a can is a Hunt's move, and then announcing that one is making a one-time-only exception to that rule, and announcing that one is giving someone a can, seems like the greater Hunt's move.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »

Ah, the eternal TOUAMB question: is Onstad paying any attention?

He used to participate from time to time, but as I recall someone told him to go fuck himself in the neck, twice, sideways, when he said something nice about Los Angeles. He never posted after that.

Native born Angelinos and native born... Friscalinos?...

"San Franciscans". A friend of mine and I also coined "Bay Aryan", which is delightfully politically incorrect and descriptive, but also can have hell of sodium and negative connotations.

Also, Lemmy is the Mayor of Drinkin' Island! Classic Lyle.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 04:22:55 pm »

I have read recently in New Scientist that the no-drinkin' gene is dominant, which means that even if someone has just one copy they still have the no-drinkin' effects, which means that you can't have it if both your parents can drink without ill effect.

I think V should celebrate this fact with a drink!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 05:10:46 pm »

I thought Lyle's chart would only have two boxes (Drinking <---> Crass Actions).  He's a lot more complicated than I thought.  I love the raucous laughter on that top tree - what is that song though?  Is it a real song or is it just the last thing out of Lyle's mouth before he passes out?
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 05:12:23 pm »

Announcing that announcing that one is giving someone a can is a Hunt's move, and then announcing that one is making a one-time-only exception to that rule, and announcing that one is giving someone a can, seems like the greater Hunt's move.

Well, I had to come real, but I couldn't make a new thread about it.  That would have been the Huntsiest.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 05:14:06 pm »

I feel like... drinking 2 hard lemonades would make me feel pretty woozy, too? I feel like 2 in quick succession is a pretty good amount, if you aren't used to drinking.

also: someone said something about Hunt's catsup the other day, and I laughed at them real hard.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 05:55:42 pm »

I opened a bottle of lillet to make vespers last night and I drank three in an hour and consequently didn't do my homework.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 06:09:49 pm »

"The Mayor of Drinking Island" sounds like something Mr. Bear could have written back in his "Chug-A-Lug" phase.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 07:41:27 pm »

I opened a bottle of lillet to make vespers last night and I drank three in an hour and consequently didn't do my homework.

Can I just mention that I approve of people drinking vespers in the real world? That's pretty awesome.

Anyway, thank you, thread, for dropping the science like Galileo dropped the orange. I doubt there is anything actually biochemically wrong with me, and that in future I should just avoid drinking alcohol quickly when under stress and/or in formalwear.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: 2 March 2007 - Drinkin' Island is inside each of us
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 07:43:02 pm »

Can I just mention that I approve of people drinking vespers in the real world? That's pretty awesome.

Anyway, thank you, thread, for dropping the science like Galileo dropped the orange. I doubt there is anything actually biochemically wrong with me, and that in future I should just avoid drinking alcohol quickly when under stress and/or in formalwear.

Do you think it is rad to have alcoholism thread
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up