Moreover, I am similarly as bugged when... in a science-fiction novel... they make up new words for things, just to sort of make up new words. It pulls me right out of the experience of reading, even if the book is great.
I mean, if you're having the characters talk in a different language, that's fine, that's one thing. Less valid but acceptable in rare cases would be when you need, for the purposes of plot and characterization, show that slang has developed over time and influence. But please use that sparingly.
But when your third-person narration needs a new word for "spaceship" and "food" and "money" just to sort of remind us that we're reading a science-fiction novel... Christ, it just kills me and pulls me out of the experience.
Similarly?
When someone is going to swear and "friggin" or "flippin" is inserted? I want to strangle someone. Oh GOD, when something is dubbed OVER to cover the swear! Why? Why? I mean, okay, I get it, there are religious motherfuckers with bugs up their asses and if you wanna get your work out there, you have to compromise.
That's fine, a book or a television show or a movie is at least as much commerical craft as it is art, I am fine with that.
But do we have to be goddamned children about it?
Do we have to "make up a new word" for it?
If your work would be so crippled commercially by swearing, can't you... in a book, just write "----" for "fuck"? Or put in a big black rectangle? Or, less diggable but still preferable, the ol' *@!@%$?! thing? Do we have to be children and say "flurk" or whatever the hell they say on Battlestar?
In a song, do we really really have to backwards-mask or drop in a new word to sanitize for Clear Channel? Can't you just make a mix where the swear word is dropped and the music continues undernear?
On a teevee show, can't you fuckin' just blank out the word? Or EVEN just beep it?
Who in the chain of censorship command decided that we have to say "doody" and "weewee" instead? Aren't you protecting children MORE by blanking out the word entirely while impugning the message of the work less?
Arrrrgh. This is a pet peeve of mine.