Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I nuts for having this bug me?  (Read 7419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 06:10:35 am »

my grammar usage is getting worse. In everyday speech, at least. I am lately big on saying things are "real bad" or "real tasty" or such.

also, my official Thing that Pisses me Off is that my Writing 1 teacher corrects all these things that aren't incorrect. Such as "I do not know where they were going to." that isn't a literal example, but she gets all pissy about the dangling preposition. As certain of us are fond of saying, English is Not Latin.

Also, the whole issue of singular/plural verbs with Group nouns. Specifically "none of us are" vs "none of us is."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 06:14:46 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2007, 11:33:13 am »

Also, the whole issue of singular/plural verbs with Group nouns. Specifically "none of us are" vs "none of us is."

Sorry to say it, but that's another thing y'all Yanks get routinely wrong. Goddamnit!
Oh, it was someone here pointed it out I'm sure, complaining about the Mythbusters narrator (who irritates the hell out of me, but at least he uses English properly... FNAR)!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2007, 05:07:50 pm »

Sorry to say it, but that's another thing y'all Yanks get routinely wrong. Goddamnit!
Oh, it was someone here pointed it out I'm sure, complaining about the Mythbusters narrator (who irritates the hell out of me, but at least he uses English properly... FNAR)!

That was me. He speaks british, but when the show is aired in England they dub over him with somebody else and I don't get why. Maybe it's the accent.

Every time he says, "the team are" I want to reach into the TV and slap him. The entire point of collective nouns is to refer to a group as a singular unit! Singular!
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2007, 05:23:45 pm »

my grammar usage is getting worse. In everyday speech, at least. I am lately big on saying things are "real bad" or "real tasty" or such.

also, my official Thing that Pisses me Off is that my Writing 1 teacher corrects all these things that aren't incorrect. Such as "I do not know where they were going to." that isn't a literal example, but she gets all pissy about the dangling preposition. As certain of us are fond of saying, English is Not Latin

Why is that a problem in everyday speech?

I'm assured by the professor who takes my linguistics classes that the terminal preposition "rule", along with a great many others, rose to popular use because some shockingly cynical bloke realised that he could make a mint by exploiting the insecurities of the emerging middle class, who desperately wanted to speak "properly" and hence would swallow whatever bollocks he concocted for his usage guides. I can't decide whether to hate that man with a passion or admire his cunning.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2007, 06:13:38 pm »

Every time he says, "the team are" I want to reach into the TV and slap him. The entire point of collective nouns is to refer to a group as a singular unit! Singular!

The opposite, by and large, makes me want to do the same. I think one of their producers, or quite possibly writers, is British. They've had some things crop up online narrated by a British guy who isn't the awful turd who redubs it over here.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 09:47:02 pm »

Quote
I have a question for Rumjay.  Where is the link to this webcomic you speak of. And we're gonna need to see those rude titties because as Lil Falls explained, we ain't gonna like it unless you are hot.

Heh. I have to make it actually good and funny before I can start promoting it. But soon, hopefully.

I've started dropping my g's since I moved to the South (I know SW VA isn't the South Proper, or The Dirty South, but it's plenty Southern to me). I guess my grammar's gotten a little worse, but I prefer to think of phrases such as "real bad" etc. as "colloquialisms".

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2007, 04:58:55 am »

I've started dropping my g's since I moved to the South (I know SW VA isn't the South Proper, or The Dirty South, but it's plenty Southern to me). I guess my grammar's gotten a little worse, but I prefer to think of phrases such as "real bad" etc. as "colloquialisms".

RMJ, my wife is from Lynchburg. You are plenty in the South.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2007, 05:13:21 am »

I have a dear friend from law school who is from that area.  It's an interesting area.  SW VA, if I understand correctly, is comparable to Eastern Ky.  Southern Appalachia.

Mountain folk are different from you and me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2007, 03:17:07 pm »

Heh. I have to make it actually good and funny before I can start promoting it. But soon, hopefully.

I've started dropping my g's since I moved to the South (I know SW VA isn't the South Proper, or The Dirty South, but it's plenty Southern to me). I guess my grammar's gotten a little worse, but I prefer to think of phrases such as "real bad" etc. as "colloquialisms".

They have a place called "Troutville" and pronounce Buchanan as buh-can-an so I'd say that qualifies as the south. It also qualifies as "part of the state that keeps screwing things up in the legislature for NoVa"
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Am I nuts for having this bug me?
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »

Quote from: RMJ12345
Heh. I have to make it actually good and funny before I can start promoting it. But soon, hopefully.

There is an extent to which putting your work out there somewhat flawed and just... rolling forward with it, getting better as you go along, getting feedback, getting a reputation and proving you can keep it up week in and week out... is sometimes more important than getting it perfect.

I tell you this because this is pretty much why I am going nowhere as a writer, I don't have the guts to release things that aren't perfect in my eyes and then... you know... I don't have anything to try and get myself out there.

This is pretty much why I am not rich yet. Learn from my mistakes. Earn this, Private Ryan, earn this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up