OK, so, hopefully soon some shit will make its way through the fan in a way so that this decision makes itself, but I can't stand sitting here waiting anymore so at least I am going to type about it.
I have a part time job that I started in the fall. I work every Saturday and Sunday. This job has always been fairly lame but recently took a nosedive into Complete Suckitude. I have decided that I am going to stay no longer than the end of this month.
So, I would like to give notice, but...
1. I just asked for next weekend off. I have never yet asked for a weekend off except when I had surgery I had to call out sick when it took longer to recover than I expected. I assumed they would just give it to me - but the boss's response was that he had to get someone to cover for me. This is unreasonable because:
a. There isn't enough work for the two people who are there on the weekends so it won't matter if I am not there
b. This job went unfilled for months so there was only one person working every weekend then
c. He's told me I'll need to cover a couple of weekdays for anyone who volunteers, but one of the reasons I am quitting is that they have never actually trained me to do enough that I could cover the very different responsibilities on weekdays.
I am still actually waiting to hear whether anyone volunteers or whether they are going to make me come in.
So, they are being jerks and this is definitely the last straw.
SO, if I give notice now, it will look like I am quitting because they are not giving me the weekend off, which is not good in case I ever need a reference.
And then there is the other factor:
2. It's possible I am about to be offered a full time job elsewhere. So if I wait, I have a better excuse to quit that won't have bad future ramifications. But it's unclear when and if this will happen because the boss wants to hire me but the hire ups don't want him to fill the job, to make a very long story short.
I know that anyone with half a brain would NOT sit down right now and write an email of resignation. I should at least wait till I know about the other job, and if that doesn't work out, wait till the weekend off thing blows over before I quit.
BUT I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE.