Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: March 12th, 2007: for you have the patience of Christ as he waited for Robert.  (Read 8519 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

I like how Ray is playing this but I have no idea what cornbread is as I have only seen it in american movies? What is it's texture, it's density? Is it bready as the name implies or more like an english muffin, is it some sort of wheaty spongecake? I cannot imagine it being sweet, though the whole concept reminds me of pumpkin scones (which are simply the best use you can put a pumpkin to by the way).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

I like how Ray is playing this but I have no idea what cornbread is as I have only seen it in american movies? What is it's texture, it's density? Is it bready as the name implies or more like an english muffin, is it some sort of wheaty spongecake? I cannot imagine it being sweet, though the whole concept reminds me of pumpkin scones (which are simply the best use you can put a pumpkin to by the way).

Like a bread pudding, but a little firmer and prone to crumble under pressure.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

Oh
actually that does sound like pumpkin scones.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile

Like a bread pudding, but a little firmer and prone to crumble under pressure.

I'd be more likely to describe it as grainy, slightly sweet almost-cake.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

I'd be more likely to describe it as grainy, slightly sweet almost-cake.

And nowhere near as brittle as a scone.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

Yes.  Definitely not like a scone.  There are a lot of variations, but everytime I've had it I've found it to be slightly sweet and moist/tender.  The granular quality comes from corn meal.  I generally agree that there should not be crap added, but a few kernels of corn, just lightly added in, are cool with me.

Are there really pre-made mixes for cornbread?  It's so damn easy to make though!  Anyway, in my book nothing can make cornbread classy - it's just not classy, sorry.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I do enjoy the diced-up jalapenos in cornbread. And there are indeed instant mixes for cornbread. So, instead of four ingredients, you have two.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Anyway, in my book nothing can make cornbread classy - it's just not classy, sorry.

Agreed.  To borrow a meme, eating cornbread is like eating watermelon.  Nothing classy about it.  Its not a knock either - but if you have a fork in one hand, scooping hot chili from a bowl into your hungry face, with the other hand wrapped around a buttered hunk of cornbread I can guarantee you're happy.  Just don't think that you'll catch Martha Stewart or QE2 doing it.

Of course, how often do you see them happy?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Agreed.  To borrow a meme, eating cornbread is like eating watermelon.  Nothing classy about it.  Its not a knock either - but if you have a fork in one hand, scooping hot chili from a bowl into your hungry face, with the other hand wrapped around a buttered hunk of cornbread I can guarantee you're happy.  Just don't think that you'll catch Martha Stewart or QE2 doing it.

Of course, how often do you see them happy?

Actually, HRH keeps cornbread in her little purse.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Actually, HRH keeps cornbread in her little purse.

Well, I'm glad the Colonies benefited the Empire in some, small way.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile

This "Cornbread" of which you speak sounds pretty dang good. I love the fact Leon Sumbitches is getting so tired of explaining that he is in fact Brian Wheat, that he must come up with an acronym to convey said fact. This is probably the scammer equivalent of LMFAO or something.
Logged

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile

Dannnng, cornbread is so good.

I'll probably end up trying Muse_of_Fire's cornbread recipes soonish, because I like kitchen experiments and have been known to make up recipes on the fly as well. I shall post pictures of my success and/or failure.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

During much of the time I was General Counsel to the State Fire Marshal's Office, the State Fire Marshal's nickname, which he went almost exclusively by, was "Cornbread".

God I love this state.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: AugustWest
the State Fire Marshal's nickname was "Cornbread".

Cornbread? Ain't nothin' wrong with that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

Pronounced "Khaaanbread"?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up