Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: March 12th, 2007: for you have the patience of Christ as he waited for Robert.  (Read 8507 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

Yeah, but I've never has to scrape concentrated uranium from a men's room sink to which it has been adhered with human faeces, so it doesn't hold quite as much power over my appetite.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Yellow Cake is best with a fine dusting of Green Salt.

Or whichever made-up scary term is beatin' the drums this week.

"They aren't buying the war against Iran yet. We're going to need another scary term for a radioactive thing."

"Does it have to be a colour and a food again?"

"YES. Christ, Barry, just accept that it has to be a colour and a food. Brainstorm with me."

"No! No, why does it have to be a colour and a food? It doesn't make any sense!"

"Barry. The president only understands so many nouns. Do you remember when we had to explain the word 'mission' to him for that banner?"

"...yeah."

"Remember how long that took?"

"...yeah."

"Remember how Steve just had to tell him it meant 'giant fight' and then the president was refering to how Pearl Harbor started 'World Mission Eye-Eye' for a week?"

"...yeah."

"So... fuckin' brainstorm with me, Barry."

"Blue... gelatin? Purple... steak? Purple steak plutonium? No... orange... orange..."

(together) "ORANGE MUSHROOM!"

"Imagine the headline on the NY Times: GUY IN TURBAN HAS ENRICHED ORANGE MUSHROOM. YOU MUST HATE ARABS NOW!"

This is how government works.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Cornbread was starting to sound pretty damn good until I saw it described in terms I am used to hearing used in reference to urinal deodorant blocks.

DAMMIT! Don't you damned heathens have cake in your country? White cake, Angel Food cake, red velvet cake... yellow cake is vanilla flavored cake. Like this.

Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

We are pretty big on cake but I've always found most people I know to be suspicious of any foodstuff that is chiefly defined by its colour.

But then when mushy peas are a part of your national cuisine it's probably wise to pretend that colour just doesn't exist when it comes to culinary matters.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile

cornbread can't be described in terms not relating to its color though because its primary characteristic is that it is yellow. violently yellow.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Except where its a toasty brown
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

Ah, now we're back on track. I will eat pretty much anything that is a toasty brown.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

During much of the time I was General Counsel to the State Fire Marshal's Office, the State Fire Marshal's nickname, which he went almost exclusively by, was "Cornbread".

Everybody knows me.  My name Cornbread.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I'm glad that my theory that being into Achewood and being into Homestar overlap bears out.

There is an extent to which their approaches are kind of similar, excepting how deep Onstad's characterizations go and how for some reason the Bros Chap seem to tie one hand behind their back by keeping the whole thing PG.

I mean, I guess that's also why they're probably making more money than Achewood is and... that's probably why they're much closer to the mainstream Zeitgeist than Achewood is but... man, that ain't no excuse.

When your material isn't specifically child-focused, refusing to work blue irks me.

It's 2007 for Christ's sake. Everybody knows that sex exists.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Oh, I dunno. I think that's part of the H*R charm. They're not like every other damn Internet cartoon. I couldn't imagine the concept if they were playing with more adult themes. Homestar bragging to Strong Sad about finally getting Marzipan to "squirt?" No thanks.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile

Homestar bragging to Strong Sad about finally getting Marzipan to "squirt?" No thanks.

if you can get a fuck*ng broom to ejaculate I think you're doing pretty good
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

I tend to agree.  I think H*R refusal to work blue is more of an aesthetic choice rather than a moral one.

I have a good friend with otherwise very good taste in pop cultural matters.  But he has repeatedly made comments to me along the lines of "Can you imagine how much funnier Yosemite Sam would be if he used actual cuss words."  No.  No I can't, because I believe Yosemite Sam would be much less funny in that case.

I feel the same way about the Homestar world.  Just because it focuses on PG-13 type themes doesn't make it puerile or bland.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Okay, Yosemite Sam wouldn't be funnier if he could swear.

But I do say he'd make awesomely funny sounds if he was having sex.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Okay, Yosemite Sam wouldn't be funnier if he could swear.

But I do say he'd make awesomely funny sounds if he was having sex.

Well duuuuh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile

I have to humbly disagree on the grounds that Yosemite Sam gave me nightmares as a child and would also be hell of hairy.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up