Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?  (Read 9393 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 10:38:19 pm »

Where my brother works, he is sort of de-facto in charge of feeding the cats that live in the shrubs and bushes around their laboratory. There are... probably forty feral cats living in the area and... when he puts out food, it's like Dracula calling his bats to him or the Bird-Lady in Home Alone.

All "Come to me, my children of the night" and so on.

If there were a movie about that lab being bought out by a Texas oilman who believes there's oil beneath it, it would definitely involve a plot point where the cats attack the bad guys to buy the lab techs some time to pull off a Wacky Scheme.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:35:48 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 11:09:15 pm »

I was sitting here, upstairs, and I heard the yowling.  I looked out and down to the deck below to see the most mangy of the mangy infested cats, sitting on a chair on my deck, just yowling into the air for no reason.  I popped the window open and dumped a glass of water on the cat from above, and off it went, but it's the same one I dumped water on a couple hours ago, so clearly this is not working.  My cats watched this with amusement.  They seem pleased.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:21:01 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 11:19:56 pm »

If there were a movie about that lab being bought out by a Texas oilman who believes there's oil beneath it, it would definitely involve a plot point where the cats attack the bad guys to buy the lab techs some time to pull off a Wacky Scheme.

I think that happened to Dortmunder in a Donald Westlake novel...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 11:24:39 pm »

probably forty feral cats living in the air and

That would scare the fuck out of me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 01:33:42 pm »

Reading through this thread made me remember that my dead Nana used to cook...SizzleLean ("Move over bacon, now there's something meatier!") for Sunday breakfast when my brother and I would spend the night at her house.  Oh, sure there were eggs and cereal and slow-cooked oatmeal and hell of dry toast with marmalade (which I ate because of Paddington Bear), but no breakfast was truly a Complete Breakfast until a few shriveled, dry "slices" of SizzleLean were on my plate.

It was like eating hot Slim-Jim brand beef jerkey.

I had repressed all of that until now. 

The me of 2007 would totally sign up my 1983 grandparents for Bacon of the Month.

Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 04:20:25 pm »

I never thought it would be possible, but I had TOO MUCH BACON the other night.  Some nights I basically am not interested in making dinner for the family, but its sort of my job since my wife believes her time is better spent getting an education and doing laundry - so on those nights it's quesadillas all round!

On occasion, I jazz them up with chopped sausage, pan-toasted deli-ham, or what have you.  It occurred to me that bacon would be delicious with cheese and pan-fried tortillas, so I cooked up a pack of bacon (and naturally, used the drippings for cooking the quesadillas as well).  As I made each person's quesadilla (which were gone in a flash) I'd help myself to the occasional piece of bacon.  Finally,  I cooked up my quesadilla (with all the remaining bacon) and took it to the couch to post on TOUAMB and catch an episode of CSI.  I got through about 3/4 of my dinner, when I realized that I couldn't eat any more.  Not that I was stuffed, mind you - just that I had probably exceeded my system's capacity for saturated fat.  The remaining quarter of crispy, chewy, cheesy bacon-stuffed deliciousness was too heavy to lift;  my mouth felt barely large enough to cram a pea into, and there was some sort of interior alarm going off - I suspect in my gall bladder - that any more pig fat consumption would result in DIRE CONSEQUENCES.

The dog was ecstatic about this decision, although somewhat disappointed in the size of the piece I broke off for her.  A dog would ignore future gastric upset for a moment's bacony bliss.  This is why they have people.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 04:52:46 pm »

OMG. While admit I had both onion rings and ice cream in the same meal last night (I was celebrating quitting a job, and too not afraid of the fuck*ng police to exercise good judgment) I can't imagine eating bacon and cheese in the same dish. I think I would hesitate to eat them in the same day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 04:56:36 pm »

I can't imagine eating bacon and cheese in the same dish. I think I would hesitate to eat them in the same day.

seriously? youve never had fries covered in ranch dressing covered in cheese covered in bacon pieces? Its probably the best dining hall food one can make with a salad bar and a microwave.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 04:57:56 pm »

I am going to use this as a diet technique: whenever I want something I shouldn't eat, I will think of A-CAP's fries to spoil my appetite.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 05:32:37 pm »

Those fries sound like something only someone from the Buffalo area would eat.

People make fun of Canadians for putting vingear or mayo on their fries but... man.

Canadians make fun of people from Buffalo, in terms of what they put on fries.

"I AM FROM BUFFALO, EH? I AM COMPLETELY PUTTING PLUMS AND HOT SAUCE ON MY FRIES!"

"THAT IS A TOTAL COINCEDENCE! I AM FROM JAMESTOWN AND I AM PUTTING COFFEE GROUNDS AND COLE SLAW ON MY FRIES!"

"HOLY SHIT! I AM FROM ERIE AND THERE ARE CAPERS AND ORANGES AND BBQ-CHIPS ON MY FRIES! I WOULD'VE ADDED PANDA NIPPLES BUT I WAS FRESH OUT OF PANDA NIPPLES!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »

Damn. Just damn.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

"I AM FROM BUFFALO, EH? I AM COMPLETELY PUTTING PLUMS AND HOT SAUCE ON MY FRIES!"

I laughed so hard, a tiny can flew out my nose.

In semi-bacon-related news, I like to use peanut butter in place of mayo on BLTs.  It is sublime.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 07:26:58 pm »

BACON rANCH FrIES PEOPLE! BACON rANCH FrIES!
 :-[

Lets see what YOU come up with when stuck with shitty campus food for four years!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 07:36:24 pm »

I've only been stuck with dining-hall food for six months and I've already descended to broccoli with custard, so I'm not going to pass comment.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 07:38:12 pm »


In semi-bacon-related news, I like to use peanut butter in place of mayo on BLTs.  It is sublime.

Bacon with peanut butter is good. But lettuce and tomato with peanut butter?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up