Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should I move to?  (Read 15538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2007, 05:33:33 pm »

Does the place have to be that large? Because if you leave the size figure out what your list makes me think of is Northampton, Mass.

Muse:This was going to be my suggestion. Having spent a few years there, I can tell you that the Pioneer Valley is hell of awesome.  Northampton has been described as "Greenwich Village in farm country," to which I would add "with tons of lesbians."  Hope that isn't a dealbreaker for you.

If NoHo is too expensive, look up a few miles up the 91 at Greenfield.  I spent some time there with an old friend last year, and it seems like another Northampton waiting to happen.

Having spent my first 18 years in New Jersey, I can tell you that it's a lateral move from Los Angeles at best.  The traffic is now just as bad, the houses are just as expensive, and you still have to shovel your driveway.


Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2007, 06:34:35 pm »

Houston meets all of your criteria.  Their is an air quality issue, but mostly in the industrial areas, not so much in town.  It's known as a conservative city, but again, not the case at all in town.  But you don't want to live in the suburbs anyway.  Shit ton of job opportunities for teachers, lawyers and anyone with a desire to work.  Culture out the wazoo.  The Houston Ballet is highly aclaimed.  I've read a few people mention Austin.  Austin is the same as Houston, only less.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2007, 06:47:06 pm »

Northampton has been described as "Greenwich Village in farm country,

As a native New Yorker I would call that a slight exaggeration... But if you want culture plus low cost of living a college town probably beats a big city.  I have no idea what the job market for lawyers is but hey, people sue people everywhere, don't they?

I didn't live in Northampton but further out in the country and then in Amherst, which were bad choices. I probably would have been better off in Northampton. But as far as food, even Amherst was looking up when I left (close to 15 years ago now).  Even when I lived there, there was a Chinese place - well, I have still never found anything like the chicken in spicy tea sauce at Panda Garden East anywhere else.

I ate there a lot. I went back about eight years later to visit my dissertation advisor and was picking up takeout and the guy at the restaurant recognized me.  Yeah, probably a person in grad school should not eat out enough to be recognized in a restaurant eight years after leaving.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2007, 07:33:59 pm »

Do not move to Cincy.  It is conservative like crazy.  If you're seriously considering it, also look at Louisville or Columbus.  They're smaller cities but they aren't as Red State with their local politics and attitudes.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2007, 07:42:32 pm »

Do not move to Cincy.  It is conservative like crazy.  If you're seriously considering it, also look at Louisville or Columbus.  They're smaller cities but they aren't as Red State with their local politics and attitudes.

See, I didn't like Cincy because black people assaulted me downtown and white people called private security on me anywhere on the north side 'burbs.

So don't go to Cincy 'cause you will either have to fight your way outta a gas station Krispy Kreme display section or dodge rent-a-cop pepper spray.

ALSO: Both sides looked at me like a race traitor when I was spotted in public hanging about with a female co-worker who was direct from a micronesian island.

HELLA POLARIZED
Logged
We must repeat!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 08:36:27 pm »

See, I didn't like Cincy because black people assaulted me downtown and white people called private security on me anywhere on the north side 'burbs.

So don't go to Cincy 'cause you will either have to fight your way outta a gas station Krispy Kreme display section or dodge rent-a-cop pepper spray.

ALSO: Both sides looked at me like a race traitor when I was spotted in public hanging about with a female co-worker who was direct from a micronesian island.

HELLA POLARIZED

What the hell? What brand of human are you, Ash? I'm Sicilian and Irish, but I get mistaken for a Latina all the time.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 08:42:34 pm »

I thought ST meant that the African-American community judged him racially and the Caucasain-American community judged him by economic class, each rejecting him on a different parameter.

Which... sounds a lot like how Cincinatti has been described to me by people who lived there or near there... not quite the Old South, not quite the Rust-Belt North and pretty sociologically messed up because some people want it to be one and some people who want it to be the other.

I have never been there, I caveat, but I've known a lot of people who've lived there and that's pretty much to a man how it has been described.

ALSO: I am northern Italian and miscellaneous Slavic but am often assumed to be Of The Tribe.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 08:59:30 pm »

Oh! Move to Winnipeg!  I saw your list, and everything fits.

1. A city of at least 250k people.
Population is 619,544

2. Clean air/water, lots of greenspace. Lakes and/or ocean presence is a plus.

Loads of lakes within easy drive, tons of green space, central neighbourhoods have loads of mature trees.

3. Low crime

Sorry, crime rate's not that great... but the crime I've experienced locally has all been the vandalism/petty crime sort of stuff.

4. LOTS of cultural opportunities. I have to live in a city with a ballet company and a real dance scene and theatre scene, and art galleries/museums. This is not negotiable.

We have the Royal Winnipeg Ballet former home of Evelyn Hart, as well at the Winnipeg Contemporary Dancers, Two major theatres, the largest children's theatre in Canada, a local theatre , dozens of amateur companies, the 2nd largest Fringe Theatre Festival in North America.

5. Lots of excellent restaurants. I have to live in a "foodie" city. Also not negotiable.

We've got major, major cultural diversity, and a restaurant for every culture to prove it.  I am walking distance from extremely high quality yet affordable Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Middle Eastern and Greek Restaurants.  More importantly, we have ethnic food marts of almost every variety, making it possible to cook any type of food you want.  

6. Progressive/liberal vibe. I don't need to live in hippie-town, but Mr. Muse and I are both lefties so it would be nice to be in a place that is at least tolerant of "blue" folks.

The New Democrat Party has run the province since 1999 - the NDP are sort of like a mix between the American Democrats and the Green Party - a little more left than your Democrats, but not as extreme as the Greens.

7. High value on education. A university town or at least a place with really good schools and/or a high percentage of people with college degrees and beyond.

We have four universities and one major college.  If you're asking about the situation from a teacher's perspective, there are tons of teaching jobs - most schools are in an intersting transition period with a wave of teachers about to retire, and a new wave of teachers in their late 20's/early 30's moving in.  It's the nature of almost every school I deal with.  There are so many teaching jobs locally that you would instantly be hired and have a work Visa.

8. Strong economy/positive job market.

See note above, also just search Winnipeg jobs - you'll find a huge list.  Unemployment is at an all-time low, there's lots and lots of work to be had.

9. Good housing market/growth (we want to eventually buy a condo in an urban area)

With the income level you're at now, you could actually buy a house in my neigbourhood.  We did, and our income is basically the same.

10. Jobs for a dedicated, progressive teacher; and an attorney who specializes in contracts, business law, and copyright.

Basically as a young teacher, Winnipeg is a prime employer.  Right now there is still a glut of older teachers, some of whom are crusty and stuck in their ways, but this group is being crowded out by new teachers with very progressive teaching theory.  My oldest friend and the dozens of teachers like her who are currently taking over Manitoba schools believe passionately in arts integration into the classroom, and work very hard to create innovative and creative classroom culture.  I never fail to be impressed by the teachers I meet.  Of course, it's a school-by-school thing (some schools struggle with major problems, others thrive), but the general thrust is toward very positive learning/teaching opportunities.  As for law, all I can do is point you to the Manitoba Bar Association.  I don't know anything about the legal field here.

11. Smoking bans are a plus, but not required.

Indoor smoking is banned through out the entire Provence, except on reserves.

12. Vibrant "fitness" culture: lots of gyms, yoga studios, bike and jogging trails, etc.

There's lots of private gyms and many fancy new YMCA's through out the city, there's loads of yoga studios, bike and jogging trails.  In winter the river is turned into a huge skating path (2nd longest in the country) every year.  Beside the skating path is a foot/skiing path, and in summer we have the river walk - a series of paths that follow the river for miles and miles.  The only thing I would caution is that roads are most definitely not bike friendly.  This is one of the most contentious political issues in the city.  Critical Mass is a leaderless organization that coordinates mass group cycle rides to create awareness and protest car culture.  This doesn't sound like much, but the rides are normally organized on Friday afternoons during rush hour.  This is incredibly subversive, and the issue is highly contentious because many motorists don't want cyclists on the road.  Critical Mass rides get top headline coverage through out the summer, and people gather to both boo and cheer on the riders - fights break out, and last year there were arrests and fines during these peaceful protests.    

13: High number of average days of sunlight per year. This is *critical* because I have a mood disorder.

From wikipedia: "Winnipeg is one of Canada's sunniest cities, and the weather in all seasons is characterized by an abundance of sunshine. The city receives an average of 2,372 hours of sunshine per year."
This raises the most important issue: climate.  We get the heavy duty winter, and the heavy duty summer and everything in-between.

Average maximum and minimum temperatures for each month are as follows (shown as average maximum, average minimum — source Environment Canada):

January -12.7 °C (9.1 °F), -22.8 °C (-9.0 °F)
February -8.5 °C (16.7 °F), -18.7 °C (-1.7 °F)
March -1.1 °C (30.0 °F), -11.0 °C (12.2°F)
April 10.3 °C (50.5 °F), -2.4 °C (27.7 °F)
May 19.2 °C (66.6 °F), 4.8 °C (40.6 °F)
June 23.3 °C (73.9 °F), 10.7 °C (51.3 °F)
July 25.8 °C (78.4 °F), 13.3 °C (55.9°F)
August 25.0 °C (77.0 °F), 11.9 °C (53.4 °F)
September 18.6 °C (65.5 °F), 6.0 °C (42.8 °F)
October 10.8 °C (51.4 °F), -0.3 °C (31.5 °F)
November -0.9 °C (30.4 °F), -9.6 °C (14.7 °F)
December -9.7°C (14.5 °F), -19.1 °C (-2.4 °F)

This is the big up and down side of life in Winnipeg.  Personally I love the variation, though I'd like it if winter was a little milder.

Some background: Our current household income is about $30k and on that we are able to afford a just-under-1000 sq-foot 2BR/2 Bath apartment in a nice area, the occasional night out, relatively upscale meals at home once or twice a week. We generally don't spend money on things like new clothes very often. I'd like to have a little more in my pocket at the end of the pay period but we're certainly not uncomfortable. We have two cars (newest one is a 2004, the older one is paid for), and about $100k in student loan debt between us. So we'd like to go somewhere where the cost of living will be comparable.

You basically just described my own household, except that housing costs are so low here that we own a two bedroom two bath home in a lower-middle class neighbourhood.  You could rent a classy 2 BDR apartment somewhere hip for around $700 month.  Comperably, our mortgage is less than $700 a month, so if you're willing to live in a slightly lowerclass neighbourhood you can own a house, which is pretty kick ass if I do say so myself. The primary reason we have such a huge arts and culture community here is because people can actually afford to be artists and live here.  The theatre school director at our theatre is married to a dance/musical theatre instructor from the ballet, and they also own a house near by (and they can afford to raise their two children too!).  It's da' shit.

I can't tell you how happy I am to live here, nevermind my SO and I being in our mid 20's and owning a house.  You can come here and we'll hang out and not have babies.  It'll be swell.

Also, the work Visa stuff is very easy to deal with - I hired a friend of mine who was a US citizen at the time, and got her a work permit in under a month.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:20:55 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 09:21:17 pm »

Also, the work Visa stuff is very easy to deal with - I hired a friend of mine who was a US citizen at the time, and got her a work permit in under a month.

Are you sure this is normally the case? When I worked temporarily in Canada (years ago, admittedly) I understood that it was almost impossible to hire an American for a permanent job. You had to prove that no Canadian living or possibly dead was qualified and willing to take the job. Sure, you can sometimes spin the job description to accomplish that ("frog and anteater keeper wanted, Phd in Linguistics required") but I wouldn't call that easy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »

No - it was absolutely no problem at all.  I'm not talking about sallying over the boarder to work without the intention to permanently immigrate though - the person I'd hired had already moved to Canada a few months before and begun the process of applying for citizenship - this definitely made getting the work visa easy for her.  Indeed, on the form I filled out, they did ask if there was no Canadian qualified to fill the spot.  I indicated "no" and there was no follow up - no one called me to ask to see the resumes of the other applicants or to ask about their interviews.  The truth is that so long as the employer believes there is no one more qualified than you to fill the spot, and is willing to fill out the tedious but simple paperwork, you're good to go.  Then again, I'm wasn't hiring a certified teacher - the teacher's union could have all sorts of weird rules I don't know about.  All the teachers I'm close to have become teachers within the past 4 years, and everyone was hired strait out of university with no teaching experience, so I just sort of figure MoF would easily have one up on all of them in the qualification/experience department. I know the government doesn't care.  The number one cause of population growth in Canada is immigration.  When I was hiring my American friend (she was actually just a stranger to me back then - I wasn't doing someone a favor - she just walked in and did a great interview) I did my research on this to make sure, as there were other applicants capable of doing the job I was hiring for, just not ones who were as qualified, and I made this very clear because the job I was hiring for was one that required long term stability.  Basically what I have been told is that Immigration will basically wave you through if you are Anglo-Saxon, and grill the hell out of you if you're not.  It'd probably be more difficult for Muse's SO - I assume the intricacies of law and the various differences between American and Canadian law might make the move impossible, but that's just a broad guess.

Wombat, in regard to your own employment prospects in Canada, you might qualify as a Skilled Worker (especially because of your specialized training) - I'm not to sure how long you've been at it, but why not take the on-line test to see if you qualify?  You MoF could too - I think she said she's fluent in French, which helps.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 10:11:20 pm »

I thought ST meant that the African-American community judged him racially and the Caucasain-American community judged him by economic class, each rejecting him on a different parameter.

Precisely the intent. Except I still use white and black as a descriptive.

Quote from: Linnea
What the hell? What brand of human are you, Ash? I'm Sicilian and Irish, but I get mistaken for a Latina all the time.

I have been judged to be the stereotypical perfection of the tow-headed hayseed farmboy redneck with a stong back and a weak mind. Tall, some grey that the blond hides now that I'm older, built like a life of pitching hay, wrassling livestock and cowfuck*ng. For years my given nick was 'Cornfed'. My compatriot was short, dusky and apparently beautiful in a way that made most everyone, regardless of race, openly stare at our contrast as we wandered around the local indoor mall. They weren't the 'whazzat' kind of stare either. The vibe in public was openly tense and drawn around racial and economic lines everywhere for the whole 2 months I stayed. Bad friggin juju.

I was picking up a couple dozen Krispies solo for the crew I was training from a gas n' gulp and got 2 dudes coming down one side of the aisle and one down the other yellin about me leaving some good doughnuts, it was a ruse to get in close 'cause the first dude in range grabbed onto one arm and my jacket flap. Good thing I was on Condition Red. Short version is I broke their asses in the back of the gas n' gulp. Only one dude had a weapon and I got him before he dragged it out of his jacket, no guns or I'da been extra special screwed. Sailed on out of there and noticed the clerk was just sitting there, hadn't picked up a phone or nothing. Guess he wanted to wait to see who won.

So yeah, I don't like Cincy much.

Quote from: Smells
Oh! Move to Winnipeg!  I saw your list, and everything fits.

I was thinking Canada too for some reason. I think the application of law could be a problem though.

As far as entry, having an employer supply the 'this person has a job waiting for them' document makes entry very easy, as Smells says. I'm still digging at engineering firms in Calgary (Canada's Arsehole, reportedly) my ownself.

If Calgary is awesome to an American and sucks to a Canadian how awesome must the rest of Canada be?
Logged
We must repeat!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 10:28:14 pm »

Calgary is... yeah I don't ever want to live there.  People wear cowboy hats there, like, for real... when they walk down the street and stuff.  It's disconcerting.

Also, I just took the skilled worker test as if I were me, but American, and I passed!  That's one hella' an annoying typical government form.  Also, when my friend did get her work Visa, they required her to go to the boarder, and every time she or I called to make sure she had everything she needed, every agent we spoke to added something to the list - some form we needed to fill out, some piece of ID no one else had mentioned.  I was pretty worried that she'd get there then be turned away, but she brought even pieces of ID she wasn't told she needed, which turned out to be good since they wanted her marriage license and no one mentioned that one at all. 

If you ever do make it here, Sub_Ashical, it is so very sweet.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 10:45:09 pm »

If you ever do make it here, Sub_Ashical, it is so very sweet.

That is one damn funny mash-up. Chances are looking very much good since Spouse been back working for an international entity of evil (Haliburton's competition) and it would be of no consequence for her to transfer offices. we're just unwilling to go unless I am working as well.

I am not naming who Spouse works for as, like Nabu, I do not want all y'all to throw cancer at me.
Logged
We must repeat!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 11:45:44 pm »

Slumber, Jay?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I move to?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 11:47:19 pm »

Apparently it is a good thing I don't want to move to Canada. When I tried to take that test I discovered that zookeeper is not considered a skilled occupation.  Yeah, I'll buy it, it accounts for why I was treated like shit at three quarters of my jobs in the field.

This is the list of skilled occupations, and this is my occupational classification, which is not on the list.

Apparently not even a 'master dog trainer' is a skilled occupation.  Vet techs and other animal health workers are, and farm workers including hoss trainers. But if you work with pets or exotics in any way other than veterinary you are out of luck.

Well, the heck with you, Canada. You can keep your french fries with curds and gravy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up