Heh. Don't be hatin' on Canucktopia.
I got an 82. I think I might qualify for more on the education side because I think I underestimated my education; I wasn't sure what qualified as "full-time or full-time equivalent studies." Mr. Muse may also qualify as a business immigrant with his ISP-starting experience.
It sounds intriguing. We have a friend in Saskatchewan who keeps trying to entice us to move north. I'm hesitant about the winters, not because of the cold and snow (can't be much different from WI), but because of the daylight hours. It's honestly *dangerous* for me to not have enough sunlight. I don't become suicidal or anything, but I do become irrational and listless and my mood swings can get pretty out of hand, and I scare myself. So climate is kind of a big factor, although I seem to manage okay here in 'Sconnie.
I'll have to give Winnipeg a look, for sure.
As to places in the US, I'm kind of intrigued by Santa Fe, still looking at NoCal with some hope (I know the cost of living is insane... I almost took a job there when I was still in the translation field, and when I did the COLA comparison I turned it down right quick. Even though the offer was twice what I was making at my job in Madison, it would have gotten me less apartment than I was living in at the time--basically it would have put me right back into the crackhouse, or nearly so). Mr. Muse has some tentative law connections out there; not sure if they'll fly or not. Atlanta sounded cool until I looked more closely, and read nothing but negative things. Plus the crime rate is nuts. Still in the process of forming the list, so keep the opinions coming, please! You have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Oh, and thanks for the heads-up on Cincy. To me it always seemed like this hip blue-collar-turned-quirky kind of place, which I kind of dig, but after these reports I'm tossing it out the window.
Mostly I've been using
this site to kind of guide my decisions, although it can be hard not knowing which cities to search on. So this is why this thread is so rad. I took the little quiz on that site to find my "best place" and I got such a wide variety of options that the results were almost useless. Everything from NY NY to Gary, IN. (*shudders*)