Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello, I suppose?  (Read 19972 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2007, 07:20:04 pm »

I have a friend who was so into Dinosaur Jr. that when I was listening to David Bowie's "Hunky Dory" and Quicksand came on, she said to me "I didn't know Bowie covered a Dinosaur Jr. song!" and... man... I just didn't know what to say.

What do you say to that?

I can't say much because I too was one of those who listened to "Whatever's Cool With Me" before "Hunky Dory". But that was 13 years ago, so I had time to mend my ways.
Inev, please, listen to "Heroes". Now. Please.

James Taylor (again, hate.)

In this case I concur. So I recommend a Lester Bangs article entitled "James Taylor Marked For Death".

I've actually never listened to any Dinosaur Jr. before, but they sound like a band I might be interested in.  My dad owns some of their albums

I dreaded the day I would finally read/listen to a sentence like this.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 07:22:29 pm »

damn. I knew it.

I also don't "get": (Most of) The Clash


The appropriate reaction to this can be summed up thusly: !
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 07:27:22 pm »

I must admit while I have a great deal of respect for Bowie, he's someone who, like The Beatles, I can only really listen to a handful of songs by anymore. And I do tend to find that people covering Bowie works better for me than his versions of his songs. Great song writer, not as good a performer. That said, I do like his voice... But for instance, Sue Jorge's covers of Bowie tracks for Life Aquatic...

As for people's parents listening... A number of my friend's parents as well as my own listen to some great music. My mother ended up putting the last Queens of the Stone Age album on her Desert Island top ten!
I like to think of it as parents being respectable.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 07:45:53 pm »

my friend at U Chicago's best friend's dad is a big fan of The Feelies.

That's just cool.

My parents listen to horrible music. It makes me sad.

I am trying to find "James Taylor Marked For Death" online, but I can only find reference. i will keep searching.

Also, re: the clash-- basically anything that sounds like it was Produced by Someone who Knows What They're Doing sounds bad to me lately. Plus, I suck at paying attention to lyrics. So.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 07:59:40 pm »

damn. I knew it.

I also don't "get": The Boss, Sebadoh, Bright Eyes, free jazz, The Eagles (in this case, I will just say... I hate them.), James Taylor (again, hate.), Fleetwood Mac (again.), Pavement, (Most of) The Clash

GOUGE AWAY.

(I used to not "get": Neutral Milk Hotel, The Rolling Stones, The Who... I mean, theoretically if you go far enough back I only liked The Beatles and classical music. And Van Morrison.)

Wow. Apart from Fleetwood Mac and a very little bit of James Taylor, this is mostly me.  And I too, if you go far back enough, only liked the Beatles and classical music. It took me much longer to get into Van Morrison though. But now I am way into him.
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2007, 08:12:41 pm »

I am trying to find "James Taylor Marked For Death" online, but I can only find reference. i will keep searching.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that you'll probably have to buy a book called "Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" for that. And you're not gonna regret it.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:51 pm »

I must admit while I have a great deal of respect for Bowie, he's someone who, like The Beatles, I can only really listen to a handful of songs by anymore.

Oh you did not just knock The Beatles, did you? This calls for a Chainsaw Duel to the Dismemberment.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2007, 09:03:32 pm »

damn. I knew it.

I also don't "get": The Boss, Sebadoh, Bright Eyes, free jazz, The Eagles (in this case, I will just say... I hate them.), James Taylor (again, hate.), Fleetwood Mac (again.), Pavement, (Most of) The Clash

GOUGE AWAY.
(I used to not "get": Neutral Milk Hotel, The Rolling Stones, The Who... I mean, theoretically if you go far enough back I only liked The Beatles and classical music. And Van Morrison.)

At least you like Pixies.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:53 pm »

Who are the Beatles, a Pixies cover band or something?


this is not my joke, I do not know where it comes from.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2007, 11:24:16 pm »

Oh you did not just knock The Beatles, did you? This calls for a Chainsaw Duel to the Dismemberment.

Eeeeeek!
As I say, it's by no means an insult. I love them (except Paul), and couldn't for a second undermine their importance in modern music, I just can't listen to an awful lot of it anymore. There're about 3, maybe 4 tracks per album that I will listen to now. The rest, I just find a bit... Something that doesn't work for my ears anymore...
Some of it however, is still awe inspiringly good!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2007, 12:07:36 am »

I just purchased this album. I don't really like Paul McCartney outside of the Beatles at all.
Anyway, it's a collection of covers of 50's songs which he likes. I was hoping, originally, that it was an album of covers of the songs by Russian bands, as the only bits of text I could read on the whole sleeve were the song titles.

Unfortunately, the cover was slightly banged up and I couldn't tell until I listened to it that it is Sir Paul.

apparently "CHOBA B CCCP" means "Back in USSR," but the song itself is not on there.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2007, 12:09:26 am »

Amy Winehouse anybody?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2007, 12:16:53 am »

There're about 3, maybe 4 tracks per album that I will listen to now. The rest, I just find a bit... Something that doesn't work for my ears anymore...
Some of it however, is still awe inspiringly good!

I am still young and fancy-free, but I dare say I hope I am never this exclusive. That said, there are quite a number of Beatles songs that I find trite and repetitive, but this typically means I am skipping 3, maybe 4 tracks per album.

But hey, no worries. Different strokes and all.

I actually like Paul's voice best of the band, but I can easily see why people dislike him.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2007, 01:11:20 am »

I actually like Paul's voice best of the band, but I can easily see why people dislike him.

I like a lot of the bands that have been demonized in this thread, but especially I love Paul McCartney.  I've stayed away from this topic because I generally like to talk about things I love rather than things I hate.  I guess that goes a long way towards explaining my love Paul McCartney.

The Scissor Sisters have a new album with a song called Paul McCartney on it.  They are playing tonight in my town.  I'm going to go see them.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I suppose?
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2007, 01:43:20 am »

I like a lot of the bands that have been demonized in this thread, but especially I love Paul McCartney.  I've stayed away from this topic because I generally like to talk about things I love rather than things I hate.  I guess that goes a long way towards explaining my love Paul McCartney.

I too love Paul McCartney. I own all of his studio albums except for Press to Play and Give Me Regards to Broad Street, and that is only because I haven't gotten around to buying those yet. The man is a genius, and I am extremely happy that he has hundreds of millions of dollars that allow him to do whatever the hell he wants.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up