Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"  (Read 3984 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:48 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03152007

To paraphrase Captain Picard, "Now there's the Ray I remember."

Ray may know what an 'net scammer is... but does he yet know that Wikipedia is basically bullshit?

Tune in next week!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:05:47 am »

This is a great strip, and an incredibly fun arc.  This arc is the real thing.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:26:41 am »

No way, this article is totally genuine. This would only happen to Ray.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:41 am »

Behind this: Lie Bot and Milklin Honniker.
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:57:59 am »

Leon Adoso Sumbitches is a smexy mankake.  He is into exotic cheesecake.  And erotic cheesecake.

Dammit, Bobby beat me to the Lie Bot Hypothesis.  At least we can rule out Little Nephew now.  He doesn't have sufficient pride in workmanship to pull off something this complex.  Milklin's involvement is an intriguing suggestion, as we've already seen one instance of fairly ancient continuity being brought into this arc.  Let's just hope it doesn't degenerate into the webcomic cliche of every single bad guy from the entire run of the strip teaming up to bring down the main characters.

Actually, would that even work in Achewood?  You'd have to include "bad guys" like Barry Bass or the pizza guy they beat up when they tried to go to Las Vegas just in order to have enough people.  We're probably safe.

Whoever is behind this, they are clearly the fuck*ng Moriarty of Spam.  Even the subject header from the email is incorporated into the article.  Truly the work of a mad genius.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:12:38 pm »

The look on Ray's face in the last panel is priceless.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:59:31 pm »

Ray may know what an 'net scammer is... but does he yet know that Wikipedia is basically bullshit?

I suspect he is aware of the potential.

I prefer Leon Sumbitches (AKA B. Wheat AHBAP) being real, though.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 03:50:37 pm »

Ray may or may not be aware of the bullshit-potential in Wikipedia, but Beef surely is. We also have not yet gotten to the Googling phase of his best practices guide.
Logged

washort

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 03:54:56 pm »

I suspect he is aware of the potential.

Ray is making the same face in panel 2 as he was when preparing to reply to Mr. Sumbitches' first email.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 04:57:14 pm »

Quote
Ray may know what an 'net scammer is... but does he yet know that Wikipedia is basically bullshit?

Editing Wikipedia is basically my hobby, and let me say....some people have a stick up their nether region and would not let a large article, with a picture, be complete bullshit. Including me. There is no way that a page "ten scrolls deep" would be complete bullshit or vanity - anything that does not have at least one major third-party source to confirm notability is destined for deletion. People are PASSIONATE about that stuff.

Wikipedia can have bullshit in the details (bullshit-potential is right), but vanity articles or articles consisting only of lies are rare. It's a starting point; something to check shit out on, to see if someone actually exists/is notable. Perfect for confirming the existence of someone whose fame may be great, but not in your realm of familiarity.

I have a suspicion that Onstad is a Wikipedia nerd as well; the Ray's urine article was pretty accurate in terms of the [[Wikipedia]] shortcuts used (though it was simplified), the diction is always right-on, the infobox in this one looks pretty close, and he links to Achewood's Wikipedia article on the front page. This article, I bet, is for real for real.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:17:22 pm »

Don't forget that it is basically talking cats and alive stuffed animals. This is not the Wikipedia that you edit, RMJ.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:34:01 pm »

I dont want to live in an internet where leon sumbitches can fake his own wiki entry. I too am a Wikipedia editor (editor name: JohnGaltJr) and do not think this article would last more than a couple hours in the real interweb (my ray's urine article was even deleted from the UncycLopedia). In the land of stuffed talking cats.... anything is possible.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:40:45 pm »

I still think that Onstad is setting up Ray for a fall of some sort. I buy into Leon's article. Maybe he'll be a new character or something.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:53:31 pm »

Quote from: A-CAP
I too am a Wikipedia editor (editor name: JohnGaltJr) and do not think this article would last more than a couple hours in the real interweb (my ray's urine article was even deleted from the UncycLopedia).

Man, Ennewhy, I gotta say... you are a man of complex contradictions.

I preface this by saying, despite our ideological differences, you would probably be a very cool dude to hang out with on a personal level, as long as ideology was not brought up seriously but... man, you are a dude who seems to be contradictory in a lot of ways.

A man who ascribes to pure or nearly pure capitalism who is a volunteer fireman. A man who ascribes to anarchy but brings standard order to an internet encyclopedia that is a lot more fun when fake information slips through.

If you wrote a book, internet friend, I would probably agree with none of it but would certainly read it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: March 15, 2007 - "best practices"
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:52:16 pm »

I'm a volunteer fireman because I love the rush of running into burning buildings to save lives and property. In a capitalist/anarchical society people do what makes them happy and this makes me happy. I'm a wikipedia editor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JohnGaltJr because I love the idea of a self ordered anarchy. Its the encyclopedia that anyone can edit and yet the vast majority of it is well formated and true to the authors' beliefs of the facts.
When my book is published women will love me and men will want to copy my drink.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:12:57 pm by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up