Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't have March Madness  (Read 6543 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
I don't have March Madness
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:36:59 am »

When I was a kid on a basketball team, I used to be interested.  But nowadays I don't care enough to put in the time.  Additionally, ever since I have been in college myself, my school's team has been a train wreck (St. John's).

Have you caught the fever?
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 02:47:07 am »

When my alma mater and their disturbing mascot aren't in, it's hard for me to pay attention.

Especially out here where there isn't the... social pressure to care about sports.

Is there some barely-Division-1-A team that won a meaningless conference from the Albany area in? Such as, like, SUNY-Albany or Siena or something? I guess... go them?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:54:47 am »

I touched on this in another thread, but college basketball is huge around here and I've been a fan all my life.  So, yes, I am following it.  (Ha Ha, Duke got beat!) 

However, my interest level does seem to ebb and flow.  I haven't been as interested the past few years (in fact, my interest in all sports has been waning lately.)  This also may be tied to the performance of my teams. 

Like basketball or not, you can't beat the NCAA for the sheer volume of dramatic games, especially during this first weekend.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:57:31 am »

Wait a minute... didn't your team win the World Series?
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:01:13 am »

Why yes.  Yes it did.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:08:13 am »

I never got college sports. I can understand students care, and even alumni to an extent. But I neve got regular people getting into a team that, by definition, will be made up of totally different people in 4 years. Granted pro sports have gotten more transient lately but there's usually at least one player who stays forever and the fans can really be behind. College sports can never have an Olie the Goalie, Michael Jordan, or Darrell Green. So what is there to rally behind other than geographic convenience?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 03:15:46 am »

The team is the continuity.  Coaches also stay around for longer than four years -- Indiana is still full of people fanatically devoted to Bobby Knight, for instance.

Also, don't underestimate the geographic factor.  UK fans are rabidly loyal, as are Alabama or Nebraska football fans, or Indiana or Kansas basketball fans.  What's the common trait?  It's the only game in town.  No pro teams in my state or Alabama or Nebraska (nor in Indiana until fairly recently).  Around here many of the most avid fans are people who've never set foot on a University campus.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:16:42 am »

I agree. I have never understood why college sports are what they are in this country. It tends to generate distorted views of colleges - as in people associate a good football team or whatever as meaning that "its a good school" when in reality the quality of the education and the quality of a sports team is disconnected.
(Note this is coming from a dude who goes to an enormous university with no notable sports teams and an outstanding academic reputation)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:25:05 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:22:50 am »

as in people associate a good football team or whatever as meaning that "its a good school" when in reality the quality of the education and the quality of a sports team is disconnected.

I can't think of a single instance where I've heard someone conflate an university's athletic programs' quality with its academic qualities.  With a very few exceptions (Stanford, Duke and maybe Vandy) athletic and academic quality is usually perceived as mutually exclusive.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:43 am »

I caught the Madness in a very bad way when my graduate alma mater made its surprising Final Four run.  This year, I'm not all that into it.  Doesn't help that I'm pulling a late-nighter at work and haven't been able to watch any games.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 05:09:32 am »

I just have regular madness, but that means that I sometimes attend a sports event at my college.  Also I was in the band so I kind of got force-fed football and basketball with a freezing cold saxophone shaped spoon.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 05:37:59 am »

yeah, um, my school has no sports teams to speak of. I mean... they do have teams.
But not to speak of.

But lately, I find myself kind of caring. not enough to put in effort to watch games, but, sometimes if I see one on TV I will root for a specific team, and be mad if they don't win. Which is new for me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:55:19 am »

My school made the tournament my second, third and fourth years of college, even managing to snag a number one seed my junior year. Now, in my first year out of college, my school is in the NIT. Between that and having moved two states away, I'm not paying much attention to March Madness this year.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 09:26:39 pm »

Like basketball or not, you can't beat the NCAA for the sheer volume of dramatic games, especially during this first weekend.

Actually, I feel uniquely qualified to address this. I don't like basketball at all. I can beat the volume of dramatic games this first weekend with any weekend of NFL playoff games, or a weekend of NHL playoff games, because no basketball game seems patricularly dramatic to me.

Sorry. Continue.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 09:31:38 pm »

For me nothing will beat the excitement of six nations rugby. Nothing comes close.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up