Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't have March Madness  (Read 6522 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:35:45 pm »

Six Nations - like the Iroquois near Ontario?  Or like six European nations that play rugby?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 09:35:58 pm »

The problem with basketball is as follows:

If it is a close game, really only the last two minutes matter and even that will be exciting if you're REALLY into watching people attempt to hit free throws. Something which is mind-crushingly boring to me, people just shootin' penalties and then tagging each other and shootin' more penalties.

If it is a blowout, nothing in the game matters after the blowout is established.

The major advantage to baseball is that it lacks a clock. If a team is winning by six and the other team bats around in the bottom of the ninth, the other team still wins. In football, basketball and hockey, once you pass a certain point in the clock's dwindle, you're pretty much left to a bunch of crappy sloppy free-throw-trading and pulled goalies and lame trick plays and so on.

Blah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Nations_Championship

England France Ireland Italy Scotland Wales. This year's finale is tomorrow with my team - Wales - playing the evil English. This game has more meaning and more history than any college hoops game could ever hope to achieve.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 11:25:10 pm »

The problem with baseball is that it totally blows.

I had a long, well-reasoned discussion here but it boiled down to the above.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 12:25:38 am »

The problem with every sport that I don't like (see: cricket, field hockey, lacrosse) is that I don't like them. They are complete failures and should alter their rules to suit my personal preferences.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 12:44:40 am »

I've always thought of baseball as turn-based combat. Inherently less interesting than, say, anything else.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 01:47:22 am »

I've always thought of baseball as turn-based combat. Inherently less interesting than, say, anything else.

That certainly is worth a can.

It was wrong of me to dismiss baseball like that. The reasons I like hockey and football is because they are more like combat. They were armor, and they deliberately smash into each other. Also, hockey players get weapons with blades on the end, and also knives on their feet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 03:42:45 am »

That certainly is worth a can.


Seconded.  Although nothing beats baseball for radio listening while doing something else.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 03:55:17 am »

It was wrong of me to dismiss baseball like that. The reasons I like hockey and football is because they are more like combat. They were armor, and they deliberately smash into each other. Also, hockey players get weapons with blades on the end, and also knives on their feet.

As opposed to rugby which is so sissy what with all that high-impact large men running into each other and literally fighting each other for the ball all without any pads whatsoever?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 04:03:38 am »

Seconded.  Although nothing beats baseball for radio listening while doing something else.

Ain't baseball on the radio a unique pleasure?  I consider it one of the higher inventions of civilization.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 11:00:11 am »

Ok, I take back what I said in the thread title.

School got snowed out, so I got some time to watch some games and I'm catching the madness.  Bout to go fuckin mad.

Seems that many basketball haters exist.  But after football ends, what are you gonna do, watch Gray's Anatomy?  And don't even pull that hockey shit, this is America, love it or leave it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 11:06:59 am »

Oh.  Unless you're Canadian.  In which case... uhhhh... how's that hockey season goin'?
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 05:08:16 pm »

As opposed to rugby which is so sissy what with all that high-impact large men running into each other and literally fighting each other for the ball all without any pads whatsoever?

Hold up - I ain't never said there was anything wrong with rugby. But it's not really a sport, because none of those people care about scoring or who wins. They just want to flat-out kill each other.

I would like it better if half of each team were armed with crowbars.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 10:08:06 pm »

http://deadspin.com/sports/rugby/for-some-reason-its-not-cool-to-punch-fans-in-the-face-245037.php

Here is a story about a Rugby player banned for life.

http://cubdumb.blogspot.com/2007/03/great-moments-in-gus-johnson-history.html

Here is a link to youtube clips of the greatest moments of Gus Johnson, who is the announcer who always goes fuckin' insane at the end of games during MM.

http://bandmadness.net/

Here is a huge band bracket, voted on by readers.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: I don't have March Madness
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 10:26:38 pm »

http://deadspin.com/sports/rugby/for-some-reason-its-not-cool-to-punch-fans-in-the-face-245037.php

Here is a story about a Rugby player banned for life.

http://cubdumb.blogspot.com/2007/03/great-moments-in-gus-johnson-history.html

Here is a link to youtube clips of the greatest moments of Gus Johnson, who is the announcer who always goes fuckin' insane at the end of games during MM.

http://bandmadness.net/

Here is a huge band bracket, voted on by readers.

Props for the Iron Maiden font.

Built to Spill and Scissor Sisters neck-and-neck? Hm. I do not know how to feel about that. Seems like body of work would come into play.

And it seems like there are no #1 seed vs. #16 seed. It's all #1 vs. #2, and #13 vs. #16. Def Leppard vs. Garth Borrks? Who gives a fuck?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:31:17 pm by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up