He's no Sue Grafton.
Fun Fact -- Sue Grafton is from Louisville. The largest and most prestigious law firm in Louisville was called Wyatt, Grafton and Sloss -- Sue's dad (or uncle, I forget. -- Also, Mapother and Mapother founded by Tom Cruise Mapother's Granddad...)
I read Sue Grafton until about P. They started out fresh and funny, started drying out somewhere around K and were pretty well tedious by M.
I jumped from Grafton to Janet Evanovich to fill my light female detective fiction needs. Evanovich's has the same writing resume as Cornelius, so I never expected much more than pulp from her. Pulp it is, but quality pulp. Hey, any book that gives me two or three belly laughs is worth the effort; thus far she's always satisfied. JE is very regular in her production habits (I suppose the Harlequin folks teach you that,) you get a new Stephanie Plum novel every June. Plus, in the last year or so she started releasing some supplementary works. Kind of like the MAD special editions.
God knows I can't fault a writer for trying to make a buck. There does come a point where one wants to shake 'em and say "Have some dignity, dammit!" I think Evanovich crossed that line some time in 2006.