Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Kurtz is a dick.  (Read 34420 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 03:44:35 am »

OH NOES!@X%$#@  Some Yap on the Internet doesn't like what I like!   PANIC!!!

Who the hell cares whether a bunch of philistines don't get it?  Just because you have the audacity to publish your opinion doesn't mean that your opinion is worthy of notice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 03:45:23 am »

Well said, Person Who May Have Only Registered Just To Say That.

This is a lot of what I mean with a comic like PvP.

"Nerds are on the internet, so I will make a comic strip about... things I think nerds like!'

Blah. fuck*ng blah, man.

See, this is what I think the fundamental difference is between PvP and Penny Arcade: PA is a comic about video games, but it's done by guys who are actually in and have immense respect for the video-game subculture. You get the impression that, if these guys had a slightly different hobby set, they would instead be drawing a comic strip about stamp collecting or decoupage. They are the Real Goddamn Thing, and they do everything in their power to make their subculture a better place. PvP, on the other hand, has always struck me as tapping the "make a comic nerds will like without actually liking or understanding nerds" sellout archetype.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 03:47:37 am »

OH NOES!@X%$#@  Some Yap on the Internet doesn't like what I like!   PANIC!!!

Who the hell cares whether a bunch of philistines don't get it?  Just because you have the audacity to publish your opinion doesn't mean that your opinion is worthy of notice.

This didn't say this a minute ago, and it doesn't line up. Odd.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 04:04:38 am »

This didn't say this a minute ago, and it doesn't line up. Odd.

Gotta love the edit function...

Jeez.  Don't go all Pat on me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 04:18:10 am »

Gotta love the edit function...

Jeez.  Don't go all Pat on me.


Oh I'm watching you, West. Don't think I'm not.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 04:22:04 am »

You fuck*ng English Majors are all alike.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lt. Geyser Shitdick

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 06:02:01 pm »

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TS-12181.mp3

Congrats on being the Jon Davis of our times. It is like listening to Pat criticize something, except it's Instant Pat Brand, with too much water used.

It's Jim Davis. Jon Davis is the equally talented lead singet of KoRn.



If these people can't understand why a cat turning into a white trash man and slapping his friend who is a bear after drinking mystery whiskey is funny or would be funny to someone else, they have problems that cannot be addressed within the scope of an hour-long podcast. There's no deeper meaning and no one is pretending that there is. It's funny because it's funny.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2007, 06:43:23 pm »

It's Jim Davis. Jon Davis is the equally talented lead singet of KoRn.

I have never used these words before, but:

Quoted for Truth.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

rabidambulance

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:56 pm »

If these people can't understand why a cat turning into a white trash man and slapping his friend who is a bear after drinking mystery whiskey is funny or would be funny to someone else, they have problems that cannot be addressed within the scope of an hour-long podcast. There's no deeper meaning and no one is pretending that there is. It's funny because it's funny.

you had me at "mystery whiskey"
Logged

littlefox

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 76
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2007, 06:54:35 pm »

"I'm not going to act like I completely understand it. I get it on enough of a level to enjoy it."

I don't think it takes patience to read Achewood, or even that much intelligence to "get" it. I don't understand why they think it's so abstract, random, and difficult.
It's true that sometimes Achewood doesn't have a punchline. It's more like real life where funny things happen and also tragic things happen.
But there's nothing random or Dadaist about it. And even if somebody doesn't like it and doesn't find it funny, I've never had somebody tell me that they thought it was going over their head. I've never heard so many times in a row that Achewood "doesn't make sense." Of course it makes sense, within the scope of its world.
[PvP has a troll in it, for no reason whatsoever, plus some other mythological creatures. Does that make sense? In the context of PvP, yeah, it makes sense. It's also way more random than Achewood.]

I didn't even know people like this existed, people who can't even make connections or notice patterns that are extremely evident. Especially repeated themes/storylines. Like the "Ray gets an idea/invents something" storyline, which we're just starting up again.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19:49 pm »

I'm convinced that a fair portion of the Internet is now using "random" as a synonym for "something that I don't understand." Applying it to Achewood, one of the most thoroughly considered superstructures of characterization and setting in the history of webcomics, seems bafflingly inappropriate in any other context.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 09:22:27 pm »

We've gotten to a point where a lot of people think a joke consists of "Hey! Kool-Aid Man! I remember Kool-Aid Man! I remember him and that is funny that I remember! Mr. T is riding him! I remember Mr. T! This is funny times funny as funny squared!"

Pretty much, Seth MacFarlane is the devil and all these motherfuckers are his demons.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:48 pm »

Quote
"Hey! Kool-Aid Man! I remember Kool-Aid Man! I remember him and that is funny that I remember! Mr. T is riding him! I remember Mr. T! This is funny times funny as funny squared!"

What was that thing on South Park....manatee joke? God, that was hilarious. I love South Park.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 09:55:32 pm »

Wait, what's not pleasing about the Achewood font? It's attractively designed, distinct in look without being distracting to read, and it fits the look and tone of the strip; is it automatically pretentious because it's not Comic Sans or another godawful sans-serif wackyfest?

(Hello, choir. Thank you for coming to the sermon today...)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Kurtz is a dick.
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:59 pm »

What was that thing on South Park....manatee joke? God, that was hilarious. I love South Park.

On the most recent DVD set they actually cop to the manatee thing. There's a really awkward set-up for the "this is even worse than the time" cut-away and they refer to it as a manatee joke.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up