Well first, the mail order company I always trusted the most was
American Musical Supply. I bought a few guitars and other hardware from them and they were always flawless. Probably cost a bunch to ship a five piece kit, but if you don't want to lug it home from the music store, they're a solid way to go.
If you want a quality amateur level kit, you can't go wrong with Pearl Exports. The kit probably runs between 6-7 bills, very reasonable kit to start out with if you don't want to get a crappy entry-level set. But if you want to get something really inspiring, my favorite brand is DW (drum workshop). I don't know the names of their models, but the kit is going to run at least 2g's. Gorgeous drums though. Little overpriced, but man are they beautiful.
New kits come with cymbal stands. Perhaps you might want to pick up an extra stand if you want to get an extra cymbal. Nothing I love more than a rainbow of cymbals.
Now, buying the cymbals is the most fun part if you ask me. A great entry level set would be the 4 piece Sabian B8 Pro's. When I had a kit, I only used Sabians, but about 50% of drummers will swear by Zildjians. I hate Zildjians bad, probably because I never really played drums with a rock style. I think Sabians are alot more versatile. Anyway, B8's are their cheapest line and sound pretty bad, but the B8 Pros were very nice cymbals, I had a set of B8 Pro hats and they were great. I don't even know if they make them anymore. But a real good set of cymbals is going to be 3-4 bills, like Sabian AA's or the mid-level Zildjians (I think I'm thinking of the 'A' line).
But I'll tell you what I would get if I was making a set-up today: first off, 13" hats. Standard is 14", but the 13" would give a little better control, and be a little quieter too, considering the hats can be the loudest part of the kit. If I could find 13" B8 Pro's, that would be gold. Second,
you got to have a great ride. My favorite ride in the world was Sabian AAX 20" Metal Ride. Now, it claims it was for metal, but it was alot more versatile than the name let on. Real bright, with a huge bell that really rang like a bell. I loved riding on the bell of that ride, it was really bold, but man it was sweet at the same time. Expensive cymbal, but worth it. Then, you need a 16" crash. I would put up a Zildjian A. Despite my hate for the brand, I feel their crashes were quality, but whatever, a crash is a crash, I never paid the crash too much mind. Still kind of an expensive cymbal, if you strongly agree a crash is a just a crash, then really any cymbal will do. And if you want to throw on an extra cymbal and stand, then I say get something creative, like a China cymbal. Or you can go standard, and put on a 14" crash. Or tighten up a bit and do an 8" splash. Ooh, I used to have this 8" Sabian AAX china splash, that was pimp.
Man, I loved hittin' cymbals, all kinds. I sold my kit and all my hardware and cymbals are on loan. Only got a djembe now, but that's all I need. Anyway, let us know what you decide on.
Oh, and if you want to score points with fun little stuff, make sure to get a real nice, thick, comfy throne, a cowbell, and maybe a hat-stand tamborine that you attach above the hats.
Fuck, I can't wait 'till I get a new kit.