Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?  (Read 16599 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:35:46 am »

Sooooo - what's the single  best show you've ever been to? Let's hear some info about it! Was you tore up? Paul, did you hang out with the band and get photos? Inquiring minds want to know. I love to hear show stories, and I'll share my own. Apologies if this has been covered in a specific thread, as opposed to just referenced to. Cort, if you want to link to it and slap me down, go ahead.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:52 am »

I'm going to cop out and post a link to a journal entry. I wouldn't actually say this was the single best show but it was definitely the weirdest.

http://www.last.fm/user/CortJstr/journal/2006/04/13/115265/
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:54:28 am »

Your name is Kyle? I had no idea.

Your favorite could be this show. Whoops, more liquor is necessary.

We're going to see this guy tonight. Hey, he's from Baltimore - you guys are down with that, right?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:58:46 am by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:42:24 am »

Single best show?  Hard to say. 

Segovia was awfully good, but it was late in his life and early in mine so I probably didn't appreciate him as much as I could have.  Same thing with Miles.

Bob Dylan in Nashville in '81 was very memorable.  My last Dead show found me in the front row no more than 8 feet away from Jerry.  Chuck Berry in the quad at Wash U (man was I wasted that night...).  My first Dead show (man was I wasted that night...).  Frank Zappa was an excellent show, as was Pat Metheny.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 03:00:46 am »

Single best show?  Hard to say. 

Segovia was awfully good, but it was late in his life and early in mine so I probably didn't appreciate him as much as I could have.  Same thing with Miles.

Bob Dylan in Nashville in '81 was very memorable.  My last Dead show found me in the front row no more than 8 feet away from Jerry.  Chuck Berry in the quad at Wash U (man was I wasted that night...).  My first Dead show (man was I wasted that night...).  Frank Zappa was an excellent show, as was Pat Metheny.

The main point of this was to collect folks that I hate. A-dub, even though you share my last name, I hate you. Zappa, Dead, Dylan, etc. . . . ugh.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:54 am »

The main point of this was to collect folks that I hate. A-dub, even though you share my last name, I hate you. Zappa, Dead, Dylan, etc. . . . ugh.

OH NOES!  Some imaginary dude on the internet doesn't share my musical taste!  However shall I proceed in this sorry vail of tears!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 03:12:21 am »

OH NOES!  Some imaginary dude on the internet doesn't share my musical taste!  However shall I proceed in this sorry vail of tears!

Whoops. No, basically my point was that you saw Zappa live. Yeah, I can never do that.

You saw Jerry live.

Yeah, that's never going to happen for me.

What else you got? Keith Moon? Jimi Hendrix? John Bonham? Shannon Hoon? Kurdt Cobain?

At least I saw Pig Champion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 03:16:25 am »

I also saw Richard Manuel about a week before he hung himself.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 03:26:07 am »

I also saw Richard Manuel about a week before he hung himself.

Wow. That's cool and all. I don't want anyone to feel bad. I saw SRV about a month before his heli crash. We went down to the show (Stevie and Joe Cocker). We got tix for a reasonable fee. I was standing there maybe 10 feet from the master himself, and after Joe, the security detail wandered off and we moved up - I was about five feet from him. Don't know if you like guitar, but that fucker tore it up. I was standing about 5 feet from him just ripping it up, with fragments of his pick shooting everywhere. God I miss him . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:28 am »

My show-going experience is not exactly extensive, but I saw Ben Folds live when he played my college. It was an excellent show; he played "Fred Jones Pt. 2" and did not play "Brick," to my delight and the deep anger of the loud dude standing next to me.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 03:46:33 am »

Oh man.

So many many great shows.

Elliott Smith did a free show in Albany in the summer of '00 that completely punished. Such a depth of soulful sadness, man. Fragile and glorious out there in the crassness of a Dunkin Donuts summer fest.

Both times I've seen GNR were basically religious experiences. As was Roger Waters doing "Dark Side".

Cursive in a community college gym was killer because the setting was just RIGHT.

The HORDE at Saratoga where King Crimson was the opening act and only a few hundred of us cared... that was magic in a completely different way. As though there were pearls being scattered at our feet while the pigs were buying nachoes and waiting for fuckin'... Lenny Kravitz or Rusted Root.

I enjoyed the hell out of the HORDE where they had... Ben Folds Five and Beck and Primus and Neil Young and... that's just a motherfuck*ng great line-up.

My first concert, Ozzy with Ugly Kid Joe and Motorhead holds a place in my heart because I saw my mom get a contact buzz on complete accident. That was pretty rad.

Bowie singing "Heroes" at Jones Beach Long Island just before his set was cut short by the tailend of a hurricane as if he was challenging God to TRY and stop the awesome. Bowie finished the song.

But...

I saw Adrian Belew play a little blues club in Long Beach with my brother, this winter.

And... that dude is fuck*ng AMAZING.

And even more amazing when you plunked yourself down in the second row and are watching him do things PEOPLE JUST CANNOT DO and... there it is. Eight feet away. Holy shit, y'know?

Belew in Long Beach, yeah. Best show I ever seen.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 03:50:53 am »


I saw Adrian Belew play a little blues club in Long Beach with my brother, this winter.

And... that dude is fuck*ng AMAZING.


Yes.  Yes he is.  And he's from Kentucky.

Also, I saw Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz in a similar venue in about 1985.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 03:52:00 am »

My favorite show ever was when I got to see the Legendary Pink Dots on my birthday one year when they played at the ... fuck, I can't remember the venue. It's a small place, a coffee house, they probably don't even do concerts there anymore... dammit.

Anyway, I think it was my 15th birthday or something, which was 1993. And it was in Denver. I should ask my younger sister, she probably knows.

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:54:34 am »

Yes.  Yes he is.  And he's from Kentucky.

Also, I saw Bill Bruford and Patrick Moraz in a similar venue in about 1985.

Bill played with Ozzy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:58:58 am »

More good shows: 

Asleep at the Wheel in a big bar/concert club.

Todd Rundgren in the same sort of place.

The Preservation Hall Jazz Band in the convention center of the hick town I grew up in.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up