Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?  (Read 16585 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:11 pm »

My first show was Styx in 1978.  The opening act was The Babys, who were good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:44 pm »

-Eric Johnson, The Bottom Line, 1990: this show made me put down the guitar for about four years.  Example ( I’m at the center table baked out of my mind ).

Yeah he plays a lot of notes, but it doesn't move me whatsoever.  It's all technical brilliance and no soul.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 12:32:53 am »

limmo-- I hate you.

I mean... I love you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 02:35:06 am »

Daaaamn, Limmo!

Prince is fuck*ng amazing. I love him so much. I was working at the Pepsi Center in college to help support a community service group I was in (APO). I was within arms-length of him. My hands could span his waist, he's ultra tiny, and he had the huuuuge stadium hair. I was in awe.

Prince + Maceo Parker = teh win. I had forgotten how good that show was.

The show that never was: I missed out on Erykah Badu because my tool crap-dude ex made us miss the show. He didn't want to drive downtown and find a parking spot on Capitol Hill. Wah, fuckin' wah. What a jerk. I'm so glad I'm no longer with him.

HOWEVER...I did get to see a fuck*ng incredible show at Red Rocks in Colorado...possibly the best venue EVER. I got to see Ozomatli, Common, and Erykah Badu. The sad part about that evening was when Common was trying to sing a love song to Erykah, but she was uncomfortable with it and started yelling "They tried to tell us that Jah was dead, but JAH NOT DEAD, JAH NOT DEAD, JAH NOT DEAD!" while the band and the entire crowd was like, "WTF!"

It was still one of the best shows I've gotten to see. Talk about a gorgeous summer night and dancing. Hell of awesome.

I got caught in a mosh pit when I was trying to see the Thrill Kill Kult and Korn opened up for them. I got thrown to the floor, trampled, and my glasses were ripped off my face and stomped into oblivion. That sucked. I was 16.
Oh! I also loved seeing the Pietasters and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
And the Ramones... they were really good. That was also when I was 16.
And Mephiskapholes! I love ska.
All of the shows I've seen have been in Denver.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2007, 02:46:38 am »

I have a bootleg of a Prince show from MSG in 2004 with Maceo and am now kicking myself for not going to see him when he played in L.A.  ( He played at the Staples Center, my second-least-favorite venue here.  Oh well. )
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2007, 05:12:10 am »

I have never seen a band at an interesting venue.  This comes from not living near them and hating crowds too.

I did, however, see the Squirrel Nut Zippers at an outdoor festival where they were the closing act for that night, and the generator behind the stage caught fire, so they played "Hell" acoustic in front of the flames.  And they could actually still play, which is awesome and totally the reason why I don't go to more shows.

I have also been close enough to watch Bela Fleck's fingers move, and they go too fast.  Too fast.  They do things that most fingers can not do.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2007, 06:09:37 am »

Yeah he plays a lot of notes, but it doesn't move me whatsoever.  It's all technical brilliance and no soul.

Hmm, this quote just made me ponder, is there a difference between playing emotionally and playing soulfully?

I saw EJ at B.B. King's club which holds maybe a thousand max, and he played an entire solo acoustic set.  There is no doubt he can play emotionally, but perhaps you're right about playing soulfully.  But is this soulfullness is mere matter of tasteful choices, or can soul be revealed by shedding a seemingly pretentious attitude?  Hm.

These are the questions that keeping me on the internet at night.

Had a dude named Tony Furtado open up for him, also playing totally solo acoustic set.  Dude really rocked, but I am still yet to follow up and uncover more of his music.  Played this smokin, virtuostic, country-blues style and sang raspy southern blues.  Maybe I'll look for some tracks on the weekend.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2007, 06:57:46 am »

Pogues in Birmingham, last December.

I still have the bruises and a dicky leg from all the pogo-ing, and some lass tried to bite my ear off, and that is why it was awesome.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2007, 12:51:01 pm »

I got caught in a mosh pit when I was trying to see the Thrill Kill Kult and Korn opened up for them. I got thrown to the floor, trampled, and my glasses were ripped off my face and stomped into oblivion. That sucked. I was 16.

That totally sucks, but I think it was god's way of telling you it is never wise to see Korn. Sorry, koRn? Yich.

Show that never was: John Cale. I can't remember why I didn't get to go in the end, but I was quite looking forward to it...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:49 pm »

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about others' experiences in this thread. It's been great to live vicariously through you all.

In no particular order...

Okay... all the New Kids on the Block concerts I went to. NOT because of their music *shudder* but because I was 13 and in love with them and every show (I saw them 3 times) was an event with my then-best friend Amy. Fom ordering the tickets on Ticketmaster to picking out what to wear, to the drive down (bless our parents for withstanding the sometimes three-hour drive with us listening to NKOTB at full volume and squealing the whole way), to the sheer adolescent bliss of being in the same (giant, yawning, cavernous arena) room with these famous, attractive (of mediocre talent at best, but skilfully marketed as a product) young men.

Musically, pretty devoid of anything. Nostalgically, priceless, and therefore worth mentioning.

Also:

The two times I saw Dave Matthews it was early on in his career. Late enough that he was already uber-famous (they were arena shows), but early enough that his stuff was still new. I have since fallen out of fascination with the DMB because all of their music sounds the same. However these two shows were a good time. The first time Ben Harper opened; the second time Maceo Parker opened (I think, I may be confusing this with another show... more on this later). Notably, I remember Harper and Parker more keenly than DMB. Maceo blew my mind.

Part of the reason the Maceo show was so great was, well, it's Maceo Parker. But also a friend's band, Phat Phunktion, was opening for him. PP is an amazing group of musicians, and it was awesome to see them in what was for them at the time such a huge show. I remember PP, I remember Maceo; but I can't remember if they were both opening for DMB or if that was a separate show. Goes to show you how un-memorable DMB was. ;)

I saw Seal at an outdoor concert in 95 or 96 and it was an outstanding show. Every song he sang was moving and the production quality (lighting design, etc) was just gorgeous. Everything enhanced the performance without being gimmicky. It was just a beautiful experience all around, and I was transported. The music was immersive and everything else fell away except for what I was hearing and seeing and feeling (emotionally and tactilely) at the time. And I didn't have any kind of mind-altering substances in me at the time. The show itself did that all on its own.

Pretty much any show I've seen at my alma mater's Memorial Union Terrace ranks up there. The band names, save for a few, are gone from my memory (thank you cheap beer in a paper cup), but the fuzzy memories are awesome. I got my first mosh pit black eye at a show there, I think at a Little Blue Crunchy Things show, which is funny because they're not a band one typically moshes to. I suppose it was more like a "skank pit" (that sounds horrible), although they're not really ska either. I took an elbow to the eye. It was awesome.

In the enjoyable but not necessarily molecular-structure-rearranging category: Queensryche, Rush, The Cranberries, Harry Connick, Jr (twice; once with orchestra, once with a small jazz combo), Wynton Marsalis (utterly disappointing), U2 (outstanding, during the Pop Mart tour, but it was a huge arena experience and therefore somehow "less". From a visually artistic standpoint, the lighting design was fabulous).

Totally disappointing: Sting. Quite possibly the biggest letdown ever. It was business as usual for him and I sort of felt like I was in the doctor's office rather than at a concert. I realize that for musicians, performing is their job, but for the rest of us it's entertainment. If I want to watch someone doing a job, I'll go down to the local widget assembly plant and get a visitors pass.

I saw KISS maybe 10 years ago at our local arena. I went because I sort of felt like they were one of those phenomena one has to see in life--like the Grand Canyon or the World's Largest Ball of Twine. For me it was an exercise in cultural anthropology. They were no longer in makeup, and they were sorta fat and old. Their fans were too, but many seemed not to have realized it. Women still tossed their bras on stage--women who should not be removing their bras in public (I think there were seismic disturbances as a result). The performance of "Beth" was positively geriatric. Honestly, I felt like I was at an open mic event at a nursing home. But they still had cheesy pyrotechnics as they hobbled around. I'm glad I went, although I remember none of the show per se. It was a cultural experience.

To return to concerts that actually changed me, Itzhak Perlman. Outstanding. I think I held my breath through the entire performance. What struck me was that he was so humble; he just came across as a regular guy. He spoke briefly with the audience before each piece, and he was just this soft-spoken dude, kinda portly, and then he started to play and you just knew you were in the presence of a Presence. He became the music. It was unbelievable.

Coldplay at an outdoor show was great too, not because of the music necessarily, although that was very enjoyable, but because of the circumstances. A friend had a bunch of extra tickets and rounded up a crew of friends and acquaintances the day before. We figured, "What the hell, why not?" and headed down to the venue. We only knew my one friend in the group, so we met a bunch of new people that day, which was fun. They had gotten there early and had set up a little grill and stuff, we all brought things to cook up and eat, a bunch of beers, frisbee, hackey-sack, etc. So we spent the afternoon with essentially total strangers, barbecuing and playing lawn games, chatting, generally chilling. Then we spread out our blankets and watched the stars and listened to the mellowness that is Coldplay. For all I know they could have just been playing a live album over the sound system. I didn't actually pay attention to what was happening on stage. I was lying on the grass looking up at the sky and just letting the music happen around me. Nature was the show and it was beautiful.

Lollapalooza, 1993. It was my senior year in high school. The local top-40 station was broadcasting live from outside the building from where the local college station was broadcast. This in itself was funny because the top 40 station was, well, top 40 (yeesh), and the college station was really alternative, in the truest sense of the word. The top-40 station was giving away tickets to Lollapalooza so my good friend and I skipped our first period class to go down to the site and try to get tickets. The DJ's said we had to do something to earn the tickets and so we dug around in my girlfriend's car for several moments trying to find inspiration for what to do to get our tickets. We were both in drama club and figured we could make an event out of anything, with the right props. We finally settled on a box of Kleenex and agreed to eat the kleenex to get tickets. This seemed to satisfy the DJs and so we each ate a couple of kleenex each. It wasn't bad.

Prior to the show there had been massive flooding in the outdoor park where the show was to be held, so they moved it to an indoor arena. The mosh pit was insane, particularly for RATM. I'm a tiny person (5' 2" and about 110 lbs), so I kind of felt like I was going to be killed, which was awesome in that scary way. I held my own, sorta. During Arrested Development the crowd pressed in so tightly that I got pinned up against the barrier and couldn't breathe. Also, a guy behind me kept copping a feel. At first I thought it was just because of the crush of the crowd, but then when I realized his hands were actually groping my boobs, he got an elbow to the nuts. By the time Primus came to the stage I was exhausted, but in the awesomest way possible.

The absolute best show of my life, though, was giraffebone at a small venue in Chicago in, I think, 1995. Again it was one of those things where the experience surrounding the show outweighs the show itself (although the show was pretty awesome). A guy I was into but not yet dating, and pretty much all his friends, arranged the details. There were probably 15 of us in all. We piled into several cars and drove down to Chicago. The best part was that I had no idea what would happen. All I knew was that at such-n-such a date, we were going down to Chicago to see giraffebone with some people. The road trip itself was a blast--the kind of stuff people talk about on a road trip in their early 20s is the stuff that makes me glad to be alive in this place and time. We had booked a suite in a little boutique inn in the middle of the city. To this day I have no idea where the hotel is or what it was called. It seemed to me like it was this nondescript brownstone building in the middle of a residential area. We had to have two of the guys check in and then go around back to sneak the rest of us in with all our stuff (which included several coolers of beer). We bummed around the neighborhood for a few hours. I don't remember what we did for dinner; seems we either ordered pizza or found this little dive Chinese place... but it escapes me. Then we started walking to the club. I had no idea where we were going so I just followed the crew. That was the best part--not having any idea what would happen next. It seems we walked for something like 20 blocks or more, and then all of a sudden we were in this teeny little music theatre that looked like its heyday had been showing vaudeville acts in 1910. The opening act was Weapon of Choice, and I totally got my funk on. They warmed up the crowd and the guy I liked was starting to put the moves on me.

Then giraffebone came out and it was the most insane rocking show ever. Again, I felt as if my death was imminent. The pit was insane, but courteously so. Angelo was climbing around on the rigging, diving off the balconies into the crowd. I got thrown around, I thanked heaven for having the foresight to wear steel-toed shoes. I think I got drunk. When I wasn't being thrown about the theatre,there always seemed to be a cup in my hand. Well, okay. Moshing does make one thirsty.

The walk back to the hotel was pure torture. After all that craziness, my feet were killing me and the twenty blocks felt like a hundred. We all snuck back into our room via the back stair case and cracked open our coolers of cheap beer. I felt like I knew these acquaintances better, somehow. We were all crashed out on the couches, the beds, the floor, the foldout couch, wherever. And shortly after everyone passed out, me and the guy I was into had some pretty nice makeouts. :)

The next day we all dragged our hung-over butts to a local dive diner and filled up on greasy eggs and bacon, and then walked to the Field Museum to spend the rest of the day. We'd basically made a weekend of it, and it was so Zen because I was so clueless about the plans that everything was very in-the-moment for me.

That weekend is definitely one I will revisit often in my old age, after dementia has made the current time incomprehensible to me.

I had a similar experience going to see Noam Chomsky speak (I've seen him speak three times: twice for Linguistics--yay!-- and once for politics--yawn), but since that's a lecture and not a concert, I'll save it in case a "Favorite Lecture" thread comes up.

Okay. Shutting up now.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2007, 07:10:28 pm »

Okay... all the New Kids on the Block concerts I went to. NOT because of their music *shudder* but because I was 13 and in love with them and every show (I saw them 3 times) was an event with my then-best friend Amy. Fom ordering the tickets on Ticketmaster to picking out what to wear, to the drive down (bless our parents for withstanding the sometimes three-hour drive with us listening to NKOTB at full volume and squealing the whole way), to the sheer adolescent bliss of being in the same (giant, yawning, cavernous arena) room with these famous, attractive (of mediocre talent at best, but skilfully marketed as a product) young men.

Musically, pretty devoid of anything. Nostalgically, priceless, and therefore worth mentioning.

This is how I feel these days about the very first concert I ever went to, an outdoor alt-rock-fest sponsored by the local alternative station, all with a wide variety of bands. I was 14 and went for the two main acts: Sugar Ray and Smash Mouth. (This was back when "Walking on the Sun" had first hit and people could still call Smash Mouth "alternative" with a straight face.) We had just moved to down, so I had no friends to go with but still wanted, piteously, with every fiber of my being, to go to this show... so I went with my mom.

The end results of that concert experience:
1) Wicked, wicked sunburn, because I'd just moved from Alaska and had neither melanin nor enough sunscreen experience to know when to come out of the damn UV.
2) My mother liked Sugar Ray more than I did. In fact, she still does.
3) The "mosh pit" was extremely half-assed, and yet my mother was still convinced I was going to die.
4) I remember almost nothing about the Smash Mouth set, but I remember the sets of the lead-up musicians much better, and most of them were far better than Smash Mouth anyway. In retrospect, I should have been fangirling more about the Refreshments than I had.
5) The next week -- my second week at my new middle school -- I wore the concert T-shirt and nearly got kicked out of school for the day because the shirt had the word "ass" on it.

Damn good times!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2007, 08:40:22 pm »

That totally sucks, but I think it was god's way of telling you it is never wise to see Korn. Sorry, koRn? Yich.

Show that never was: John Cale. I can't remember why I didn't get to go in the end, but I was quite looking forward to it...


Yeah, I fuck*ng hate Korn - I would never intentionally see them, but they were the opening act. We were trying to get a spot close to the stage for when Thrill Kill Kult came on, and I figured that a mosh pit wouldn't get started for an opening band. I was wrong.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2007, 09:09:50 pm »

Fom ordering the tickets on Ticketmaster to picking out what to wear, to the drive down (bless our parents for withstanding the sometimes three-hour drive with us listening to NKOTB at full volume and squealing the whole way), to the sheer adolescent bliss of being in the same (giant, yawning, cavernous arena) room with these famous, attractive (of mediocre talent at best, but skilfully marketed as a product) young men.

I've always been puzzled by this, from the time I saw film clips about the female fans of the Beatles.  I remember seeing black and white footage of girls in shin-length skirts and saddle shoes, hands clutched together at their chests, eyes rolled back, shrieking and vibrating with ...something...
Passing out, crying, all manner of strangeness.  I asked my Dad, what are they thinking about - what's in their heads right there?  He shrugged, with the same look of confusion that I'm sure was on my face.  "Bliss, I guess."
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2007, 11:57:24 pm »

'96, Fabulous Forum, Ozzy Osbourne with Korn as intro. There's a reason that this didn't make my list.

I think I was at this show.  We must have missed Korn.  The vibe in the arena was really grim and ugly, very different from the "fuckin'-A-let's-party-man" feeling of the metal shows I went to as a teenager.  I remember seeing a few guys get into a fistfight, and then the lights went down and it was time to burn one while Ozzy's video intro played.

That man was the neediest performer I've ever seen.  After almost every song, he would exhort the crowd to go crazy.  His requests got more outlandish as the night wore on, till he was saying things like "I feed off your energy!  I want you to go reeeeeeeeeally reeeeeeeeally super super extra fuck*ng CRAAAAAAAAZAAAAAAAY!" 

I must have been high, because during the first encore one of the guys I was with asked if we could leave. 

ME: We can't leave yet, man!  They haven't played "Paranoid"!
GUY: Jim, they opened with "Paranoid."
ME: Oh. (pause)  Perhaps we should leave then.

So we left. 

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2007, 02:39:22 am »

That totally sucks, but I think it was god's way of telling you it is never wise to see Korn. Sorry, koRn? Yich.

Show that never was: John Cale. I can't remember why I didn't get to go in the end, but I was quite looking forward to it...


I remember you talking about the Cale show - your friend or somebody had tickets, and you couldn't find him to get them or something like that.

I saw SRV with Joe Cocker in Anchorage a few months before he died. His brother came on and played a few songs with him. We weren't even going to go, as we didn't have any money, but the brother of a friend of mine happened to come into town that day and prevailed upon us to go to the arena and see if we could pick up tickets. We found a fellow who was willing to part with three tickets together, row 6 in the middle, for a payment by personal check. We watched Joe Cocker and after his set finished, the security folks wandered off to the sides of the stage, and we rushed up. I could have grabbed his guitar had I wanted to. That was pretty off the hook, growing up in Alaska and only getting to see Metallica, Scorpions, BOC, Thorogood, etc - then getting our minds completely blown by one of the greatest guitarists of my age.

My first Metallica show was cool because I went straight from my brother's wedding. I blew off the reception. I was still wearing my tux at the show, surrounded by everyone in their shredded jeans and Iron Maiden t-shirts. I was epically high, because everyone wanted to smoke out the lunatic in the tux. About halfway through the show, one of their stacks went up in flames and no one budged. They finally shut down and put it out.

Al Green in Seattle was cool because it was my wedding day and because shit, it's Al Green. The consummate showman.

I saw a band called Maktub here in Portland - that was cool because it was the first time I saw a band that was actually making it where I knew someone in the band.

Pixies, Frank Black, White Stripes, James Taylor (I know, I know) - all very solid musically.

Eagles was a fun show - they sounded like shit (hey guys, your career is based on melodic singing and you've all destroyed your voices) but then Joe Walsh came out for an hour of his solo shit and he was wearing a three-foot tall ballon animal hat. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Misfits was alright - it's always nice to see a band where you can hear everything they've ever recorded in the course of one set. Also, Dez and Marky Ramone played, so it was sort of like a American punk Cream, if such there can be.

Eagles of Death Metal opened for the Strokes and made them look pretty shitty. RHCP opened for Pearl Jam - same result, and I like Pearl Jam, but this show was cool because all three of my brothers went to it with me, after seeing the Bolts play the day before.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up