Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly recipe -  (Read 21634 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2007, 01:09:48 am »

If I bought a panino press I'd use it every day, and would eventually die from eating too much delicious and unhealthy food.  I mean, panini are many things, but healthy ain't one of them.


Oh god.

When is a sandwich greater than the sum of its parts? When it becomes a panino.

The house where I am staying has a george foreman grill. I just made myself a roast beef, asparagus tips, and provolone panini on sourdough bread. I am saving the other half for tomorrow. I am just looking at it and marveling at its beauty. Panini are fuckin' awesome.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2007, 03:53:43 am »

Toasted sandwiches (which is what I assume a panino is) don't keep that great in my experience. If you refridgerate them the crunchy crust becomes all soggy and un-rad.
Also, Jaffels. With lots of cheese. But that's a slightly different beastie.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2007, 05:22:47 am »

I've learned two things recently.  Panini and risotto are simply pretentious names for a grilled sandwich and a rice casserole.  Little was I aware that I have been enjoying Panini and risotto my entire life. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2007, 05:31:50 am »

I've learned two things recently.  Panini and risotto are simply pretentious names for a grilled sandwich and a rice casserole.  Little was I aware that I have been enjoying Panini and risotto my entire life. 

Lucky you. Apart from a grilled cheese, I'd never had anything remotely like panini or risotto until just recently.

A grilled cheese is different than panini, imho. Panini is cooked on a press and uses better quality bread, which renders it crunchier and just all-around more satisfying than any type of heated sandwich I've ever had.  I've never had a grilled sammich that was as good as panini. Maybe it's because I was never creative enough to spruce up a lowly grilled cheese, because I never really liked them that much?

I also didn't know that American cuisine included rice casseroles. The arborio rice that's in risotto is just fantastic. I want to get risotto in a restaurant so that I can see how high the bar has been set, since I've only cooked it for myself once.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2007, 06:53:50 am »

The key to the perfect panini is a single slice of prosciutto, perhaps two slices if you're feeling randy.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13:52 am »

RG gets a can for taking it to the next level.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2007, 02:13:40 pm »

I went looking for a clip of the two-iron panini machine - I'm pretty sure it was on Letterman. I couldn't find it, but I found this, which is even better in my humble estimation. We miss you, Warren.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2007, 05:08:44 pm »

I have been enjoying some new tastes with my time off.

I used to hate the balsamic vinaigrette, but now I've suddenly switched teams, and I love it.  My favorite has been a bed of baby spinache, topped with mushrooms and crushed macadamia nuts topped with a nice mix of high quality balsamic, EVO and a tad of store-bought sweet onion dressing.  It's a nice summer salad.

As with every summer we get masses of fresh wild salmon locally for cheap and eat it until we're sick of it.  A massive, whole salmon for $5?  Who can say no to that.  Tonight I will be grilling a nice giraffe up with the cavity filled with lemon, herbs and mayo for moisture and flavour. 

The left over salmon will be topped with some nice ripe avocado, tomato and lettuce between toasted whole grain buns lightly slathered in mayo and enjoyed for lunch... maybe even some nice shrimp tossed in for extravagant enjoyment.  If you have never had such a sandwich you really should.     

Also, we have a massive amount of blueberries, but since I don't like blueberries, I'm just going to add them to our basic bran muffin recipe.  Two things that are good for you that taste mediocre together!

Today for lunch is a couscous salad consisting of couscous, micro diced bits of sweet onion and green pepper, quartered grape tomatoes, and crushed cashews all throughly tossed together. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2007, 05:20:45 pm »

I went looking for a clip of the two-iron panini machine - I'm pretty sure it was on Letterman. I couldn't find it, but I found this, which is even better in my humble estimation. We miss you, Warren.

Oh hells yes. Nabu, you're my new hero for the day.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2007, 06:27:59 pm »

A massive, whole salmon for $5?  Who can say no to that. 

Dang!  Not me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2007, 06:30:38 pm »

Tonight I will be grilling a nice giraffe up with the cavity filled with lemon, herbs and mayo for moisture and flavour. 

"I didn't have to stuff it. It wasn't empty."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2007, 02:30:10 am »

"I didn't have to stuff it. It wasn't empty."

A-CAPk.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2007, 04:35:02 am »

Do one of you party people have a good recipe for aioli or mayonnaise? I tried to make some today and it was an ABYSMAL FAILURE. I used a KitchenAid standing mixer and a recipe from Denver's Junior League.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2007, 04:43:19 am »

What was the bad recipe? There's only three or four ingredients in mayonnaise and you kind of have to eyeball the proportions. It's been made for a long time, so power tools are not necessary.

It's a simple emulsion of oil and egg yolks with mustard and vinegar for flavor, and other things if you like:

INGREDIENTS:

    * 2 egg yolks
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
    * 1/8 teaspoon sugar
    * Pinch cayenne pepper
    * 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
    * 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
    * 4 teaspoons hot water

PREPARATION:
Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow. (Note: If using electric mixer, beat at medium speed.) Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil. If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2007, 05:12:22 am »

Personally I've found that olive oil can have too strong a flavor for mayo.  Also, mine seems to taste better when I use a whisk instead of a mixer -- but that's probably just mental.  Or, it could be that I'm tired and hungry from all that whisking, so that makes it taste better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up