Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Guilty pleasures  (Read 9543 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 09:00:41 pm »

Wheatus

I should... uh, entirely legitimately acquire an MP3 of "Teenage Dirtbag" sometimes. That song was gold, in its way.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 09:12:11 pm »

Whats the meaning of life?

I just want to smoke it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:58:57 pm »

Roman Soldier 1:  Do you think the Empire will fall?

Roman Soldier 2:  Fuck it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 10:13:22 pm »

I should... uh, entirely legitimately acquire an MP3 of "Teenage Dirtbag" sometimes. That song was gold, in its way.

For about a year I thought the singer was a woman. This left me with a very different interpretation of the song.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 10:17:25 pm »

Blink-182. It sounds like fifth grade all over again.

Hooking up. Half the reason I do it is the ego boost of being found attractive.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28:35 pm »

For about a year I thought the singer was a woman. This left me with a very different interpretation of the song.

Truth be told, this was exactly my original interpretation too. I always thought it was because I first heard the song at 6 AM on my alarm-clock radio, but maybe it wasn't just muzzyheadedness.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 11:11:48 pm »

Blink-182. It sounds like fifth grade all over again.

I still like Adam's Song. I also died a little inside when I had to explain the lyric "never conquered, rarely came" to my parents.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 12:57:03 am »

my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 01:33:50 am »

my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.

My mother overheard my sister, my wife, and I having a conversation, in which one of us uttered the phrase, "the four-letter word that starts with C." Mom thought it out, and said, "Why are you trying to protect me from hearing you say 'crap'?"

She still has no clue what other profanity, four letters long and starting with C, exists. I imagine her sitting at work, filling out a crossword puzzle that's all black, save for four white squares in the middle. The C is pre-filled. "Across. 1. A profanity your adult children don't want to say in front of you."
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

my friend karl, at age 11, had to explain to his mom that the song "Shake your Booty" was not about shaking one's foot.

He is still not sure whether she seriously believed this. He says she seemed pretty sincere, though.

See, for some reason this only happens to me in reverse. I distinctly recall the morning that, while driving to school, "Brick" came on the radio and my mother decided to explain that she'd Suddenly Realized The Meaning Of The Song. I kind of started doing that "uh, yeah, Mom, I get it too" stammer, because if there's one thing I didn't want to do that morning, it was have a conversation about Ben Folds's girlfriend getting an abortion.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 02:13:04 am »

my mom asked me if The White Stripes was a cocaine reference, and I had no idea.

...is it? I don't think it is.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:55 am »

Oh man, blink. I can still remember listening to damnit on a friends portable cd player during a school bus trip to some godforesaken hell hole.

There's all this music from about the year 2000 (e.g. Aqua) that my brother loved and I hated but now when I listen to it it doesn't seem so bad. It also makes me nostalgic for the games I was playing back then (generally these were what his music was distracting me from).

Nostalgia sure ain't what it used to be.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 05:24:26 pm »

Smoking isn't a guilty pleasure, it's a disgusting pleasure.

A disgusting, delicious pleasure.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:30 pm »

my mom asked me if The White Stripes was a cocaine reference, and I had no idea.

...is it? I don't think it is.

According to the band members, it's a reference to peppermint candies. Meg's drums and their first disc would back this up.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57:39 pm »

yeah, that's what I said.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up