Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been dreading this day.  (Read 4117 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I've been dreading this day.
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:58:18 am »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:19:27 am »

So sad.

People with elderly parents should seriously get them to move into one-story homes. My grandpa, who was an English professor of about Vonnegut's age, also died of a fall down the stairs a couple of months ago.

Reading that article reminded me of this:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07112006

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:23:14 am »

So it Goes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:30:51 am »

damn.

my girlfriend didn't know who Kurt Vonnegut is.

so it goes.

I really need to re-read his stuff... I read a bunch of it in like 9th grade, and I probably didn't get most of it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:38:05 am »

I got to see him talk, once.

He was speaking at my college and... my dad drove in to see him with me.

Good Lord, it was glorious. He was glorious. Happy me, happy mud.

Whatever reward may or may not come next, his pain is over... and that's all he would've asked for.

Bye Kurt.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:08:53 am »

I loved him so much. I'm sad that he's gone.

Quote from: obit
To Vonnegut, the only possible redemption for the madness and apparent meaninglessness of existence was human kindness. The title character in his 1965 novel, "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater," summed up his philosophy:

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies — 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.' "



**EDIT, 1234 posts.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:54:27 am »

Wow, one of the two people I admire most.

I don't know what to think.  About a week ago I read Welcome to the Monkey House, and thought about what Vonnegut's last words would be.  I think he probably spent a lot of time wanting to be dead, so this is weird. 

Rest in peace.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 07:10:11 am »

One of those people I never read but always meant to, I kind of just assumed he was long dead since people spoke of him with such reverence.
Like Douglas Adams someone I suspect I'll be kicking myself that I didn't get to write them a postcard saying how awesome they are while they were around to read it (pronoun OD).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 07:15:52 am »

Kurt Vonnegut will live forever in my heart and book collection.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:51:17 am »

Slaughterhouse-Five is my favourite book of all time, and it's one of my great regrets that I never got to meet Vonnegut and hug him for being so fuck*ng awesome.

R.I.P you fantastic human being.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 01:07:53 pm »

Oh so sad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:32:40 pm »

A friend of mine heard he'd died and said maybe she'd reread all his books.  I read them all, at least up to a certain age, and I don't want to reread them because I am afraid they are the kind of thing that you really love when you are like 15 years old, and I would just spoil a good memory.  Am I wrong?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 03:36:53 pm »

A friend of mine heard he'd died and said maybe she'd reread all his books.  I read them all, at least up to a certain age, and I don't want to reread them because I am afraid they are the kind of thing that you really love when you are like 15 years old, and I would just spoil a good memory.  Am I wrong?

I still re-read (most of) them regularly, but I'm just that way.  Also, if you haven't read his late works, especially Bluebeard, I highly recommend them. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:42:39 pm »

Quote
Do you know what a Humanist is? I am honorary president of the American Humanist Association, having succeeded the late, great science fiction writer Isaac Asimov in that functionless capacity. We Humanists try to behave well without any expectation of rewards or punishments in an afterlife. We serve as best we can the only abstraction with which we have any real familiarity, which is our community.

We had a memorial services for Isaac a few years back, and at one point I said, "Isaac is up in Heaven now." It was the funniest thing I could have said to a group of Humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, "Kurt is up in Heaven now." That's my favorite joke.


...I still don't know if I feel OK saying it, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I've been dreading this day.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:43:45 pm »

At the very least bump Slaughterhouse 5 to the top of your netflix queue.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up