Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee  (Read 6879 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:03 pm »

I went to school with people who could trace their roots back to the Virginia colony and I also went to school with people from the north who really had a hard on for the south. I found that the northern born people embraced the flag as a symbol of what they wanted to be and the more established southerners embraced the "its been over a century - Get over it - we lost" attitude over the flag. Never did I see it used as a symbol of some kind of race ideology but more of a regional identity and a statement for states rights (which i believe is just as much an issue today).
Personally Im indifferent. Symbols have different meanings to different people. To each his own. I dont own one.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 11:06:25 pm »

Oh god, I totally missed this but it's the best thing ever

did anybody notice "I saw a rodent"?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 11:21:56 pm »

Oh god, I totally missed this but it's the best thing ever

did anybody notice "I saw a rodent"?

Thank you, sir. You have easily doubled the value of this strip for me.
Logged

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 11:32:19 pm »

Also the Terrible Amish sound like they'd be cool folks to party with. All violent and hyped up on meth made with only the most primitive of equipment. All rocking out to religious banjo music.

And they'd have a hell of a website.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 08:15:25 pm »

Also, does anyone else think that Miracle Slice, TN needs a fantastic pizza parlor?

Actually it needs 2 that are across the street from each other or on the same block. One would be The Miracle Slice and the other The Original Miracle Slice
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 09:49:41 pm »

Actually it needs 2 that are across the street from each other or on the same block. One would be The Miracle Slice and the other The Original Miracle Slice

Extra-delicious!
Logged

Ryabovsky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
  • bool DisagreementBox(bool a) {a = true; return a;}
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

Actually it needs 2 that are across the street from each other or on the same block. One would be The Miracle Slice and the other The Original Miracle Slice
Depending on the size of the town, it might also need a Famous Ray's Miracle Slice.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:09 pm »

Southerners fly confederate flags because it gets people pissed off.

I dunno... there are some actual hate groups using the image, but it seems mostly a bunch of wanna be tough guys.  I kind of think of it like a watered down version of the Sex Pistols wearing swastika patches.  1) In England Nazis are first the dudes who bombed the shit out of London and second the dudes who killed all the jews and 2) the main point is the "holy shit you aren't doing that are you?" reaction not any political statement.

If you make a symbol or word off limits or impolite, then there's a certain personality (fark.com) that's going to be drawn to it for precisely that reason.  The Confederate Flag is a regionalist dead baby joke.  Haw haw look at their butts clench.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 12:50:56 am »

My home state, Kentucky, was a border state.  The western part of the state was pretty much confederate, the central part mixed, and the eastern, Appalachian part of the state for very pro-union.  I always find it highly ironic when some yahoo from up in the mountains spouts off about how the confederate flag on his truck represents his "Southern Heritage".  It's far more likely that his forebears fought for the Union and would have been highly offended by the stars and bars.  Morans.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 01:53:14 am »

I read a book called "Confederates in the Attic" which confirmed that... a lot of people in the south don't completely understand why the confederate flag is offensive. A surprising portion of people weren't exactly sure what the flag represented.

I do not understand this at all, but it was a pretty big survey.

I am a big fan, personally, of when people with Confederate Flags on their trucks call democrats unamerican.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 02:51:19 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
a lot of people in the south don't completely understand why the confederate flag is offensive.

Not to be contrarian (except, I suppose, toward contrarians) but... a lot of people also lie to surveys when they feel guilty about their actual answer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:59:09 am by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »

I read a book called "Confederates in the Attic" which confirmed that... a lot of people in the south don't completely understand why the confederate flag is offensive. A surprising portion of people weren't exactly sure what the flag represented.

It represents that the Duke boys kick ass.

Basically until I was in 7th grade I thought that the flag, the name "General Lee", and the song the horn played were all invented just for the show. I was sadly disappointed when I found out the actual origins of these things.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 04:19:30 pm »

they actually had an interview with this family that, like... their car got shot at by these black fellows, and they had a confederate flag on it... and the interviewer had to explain to them why the black men called them "KKK motherfuckers."

I will find the relevant passage when I get home in 2 weeks. A lot of them seemed to see it as some sort of vague Southern Pride symbol. Isn't it just the Lynyrd Skynrd sign?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 11:56:56 pm »

Here's a beautiful, topical pic from my new favourite blogger, Bad News Hughes (who I came across thanks to Touamb archives!)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:00:19 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2007, 12:03:16 am »

That pic is now what I will think of when someone mentions 'the south'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up