Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad's latest Achewood Supplement: http://martini.assetbar.com/achewood/home  (Read 42750 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

Was I the only one to not notice until now that every strip on the main site now links to its assetbar counterpart?

That's sad. I liked the occasional hidden links to weird shit that may or may not have served as Onstad's inspiration for that strip, etc.

Those hidden links are still there.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Those hidden links are still there.

Harumph.  But you'd be less likely to know it's linking somewhere else when it is linked as such.  I'm not going to look at the statusbar's link target every time I look at a comic.  He's already added a 'discuss' link next to the permalink -- I think leaving it just as that would've been much better.
Logged
~

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

I am pretty sure that that will go away after a while.  I hope anyways.  He just has to get people to try it out, though, you know.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

Hey, what are you doing later?

Me and Tony are going to go over to the new Casino, Synergy.   He knows some one that thinks he can get us into the Asset Bar.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

I wonder how long it'll take me to make 'stad hate that thing.

20+ cans, dogg.

Someone registered 'jough' already - I was going to get it just to keep someone else from using my name in vain, but now that I'm already represented, I figure I don't actually need to sign up there.  Or read it ever.

I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or flattered that I'm a celebrity on someone else's site.  I guess flattered.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

Pretty sure I saw a JOUGH DEPMPSEY IS A CHARLTATON in there somewhere. Good lord.

Oh no, they FOUND ME OUT.

Oh wait, that's not my name.  Then, um, nevermind.

Anyway, all press is good press.  Carry on, anonymous coward!

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure a Charltaton is some kind of *****.

Some kinda mandroid version of Liebot.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives

IS SO ACCURATE

WHO THIS IS PERSON WHO FINDING ME OUT?

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I think my main problem with it is both that there end up being too many comments, as well as having it use that treeview type of layout.  You can't just look at the end of the list to see new posts, and when there are all kinds of branches coming down, it's pretty much impossible to figure out who's replying to whom.  I don't need any more internet things taking up my time, and deciphering that comment listing is definitely not one to be added to the list.

So far, I am ambivalent about the comments posted.  They aren't incredibly bad (ala youtube), but they tend toward fragment sentences of no import.
Logged
~

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: R2DTrousers
Charltaton is the potato version of Charlton Heston.

Charltatron is a ***** version of potato Heston.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Wow, the assetbar is almost as ugly as the new Fark.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

I know.  I know.  It's an assult on good design.  I thought maybe if Onstad never actually posted to it, it would all make some sort of sense, but now it just strikes me as a much crappier verision of dumbrella.  You know how you try out a new style of cusine, and it's just bad, but you keep eating it because you're hungry, then you get really sick of it and swear it off for good.  Then you wait a really long time, and you go back and give it another try, only it's just as bad as before?  This is the best we can hope for.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

Why so much hating on this thing? I like the dual karma function and comic rating functions. I think right now theres too many people commenting but that'll thin out.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

Why the hating you ask?  Well never mind the crappy way it functions, the general ugliness of it's appearance, etc., look at history: way back Onstad ran an Achewood messageboard on Dumbrella.  He got extremely pissy over having to manage it, lashing out even at nice people who were just there to pat him on the back, and closed it down.  So he hated managing a message board?  That's cool, you know, whatever.  The general sentiment was "You go make your awesome comics, don't worry about no messageboard, we might make a messageboard in homage, but you don't need to pay it any attention if you don't want to."  That was the beginning of this board.  So it's a bit stupefying to see him throw up another board, and basically going down the same path as before.  Why build a Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks if you used to run a Starbucks down the street and hated running that Starbucks?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:45:17 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest

Why so much hating on this thing? I like the dual karma function and comic rating functions. I think right now theres too many people commenting but that'll thin out.

Because traditionally Onstad has been incredibly negative about reader feedback and discussion -- see, for example, Dumbrella, and his antics over on this board -- but now he's inexplicably embraced it again, except in a form that makes it almost impossible to actually convey meaningful informations or opinions and guarantees a "community" dominated by the lowest common denominator? Just a thought.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up