Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite snacks to prepare  (Read 12464 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:35 pm »

Creamy, over here. If I wanted big chunks of peanuts in my sandwich, why not just throw some damn peanuts on there and call it a day? (On the other hand, this may be a product of my kind of liking peanut butter but not really liking peanuts, and I seem to have developed an allergy anyway, so who cares.)

I have been craving nachos for a couple of days, but we have no tortilla chips in the house. I may get desperate and melt some cheese over broken-up taco shells, which I realize is a Hunt's move, but you know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »

I like both kinds of peanut butter. Which is another case of... me being unable to pick favorite varieties of everything.
There have been, at various times, 4 different kinds of Macaroni and Cheese in this dorm room. I do not see a problem with varying my variety according to mood.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 02:56:58 am »

Triscuit nachos are my preferred snacking item.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:56 am »

Creamy.  Chunky peanut butter is a modern invention to make the butter seem more home made or handcrafted or authentic or whatever bs marketing logic they had for adding non buttered peanuts to the peaunut butter.  It's kinda like when they started adding "pulp" to orange juice. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 03:49:03 am »

I am in the "chunky peanut butter" camp. It's the best, imho.

In college, my little sister was SHOCKED that I purchased a small jar of chunky PB. She came back from the store with the biggest damn jar of creamy that she could find. She set it on the counter next to my wimpy tiny jar, and she laughed. "The creamy dominates the chunky! Chunky is for LOSERS!" Au contraire, mon frère! Chunky is tasty.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 04:28:10 am »

I ain't eat peanut butter when I want to be chewing.  Creamy is definitely the way to go.  I accidentally bought chunky this time and man does it make my sandwiches all the wrong texture.

All full of hard bits and messing up the peanut butter/nutella harmony.

Pah.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 04:37:56 am »

Sometimes I like creamy, sometimes I like chunky.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 03:54:07 pm »

I imagine your wife being very and pretty and a little small, and as she pulls the jar away, your hand remains in a grasping position. She returns to find you leaning on a counter in the kitchen, looking about absently, as if you have forgotten what you are doing, but you are sure that it is vitally important.

Canned for truth :)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25:25 pm »

My only problem with making <foodstuff>+nutella sandwiches is that I will almost always be happier with just more nutella and less <foodstuff>.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 06:02:56 pm »

Matzo smeared with a bit of butter and some fancy-schmancy salt.  The bigger salt crystals make a nice satisfying crunch.

I've also been experimenting with seasoned peanuts lately.  It was a revelation to discover that you can make spices stick to the nuts by whipping up some egg whites, then tossing in the spices and peanuts and tossing, then baking for a bit.  I made some with Old Bay that didn't turn out great, but the powder did stick to the nuts, at the very least proving the concept. 
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 07:41:15 pm »

My only problem with making <foodstuff>+nutella sandwiches is that I will almost always be happier with just more nutella and less <foodstuff>.

This is exactly my problem as well. Any elaborate Nutella-based snack plan will inevitably degrade to "Nutella on crackers" and then, from there, "eating Nutella straight off a spoon." I can't say I'm proud.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:46:29 pm »

This is exactly my problem as well. Any elaborate Nutella-based snack plan will inevitably degrade to "Nutella on crackers" and then, from there, "eating Nutella straight off a spoon." I can't say I'm proud.

Neither are you alone.  I'm frequently in that place, one eye peeled for wife or kids coming around the corner.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 08:06:36 pm »

I've never had Nutella.  Sometimes I glance at it, there on the top shelf of the isle of spreads.  I know it's for the best to not venture down that road.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 01:31:25 am »

I cannot buy Nutella very often because while I can usually summon up the self control to only eat a third of the jar directly with a spoon my brother is made of less stern stuff and thus I miss out on my thick thick nutella on hot crunchy toast.

Also chunky or 'crunchy' as it is called here. Having an oily crunchy treat in your sandwich is delicious.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 03:08:25 am »

Am I the only person here that is not allergic to peanuts, but hates them with a passion? I guess on the crunchy vs. creamy debate I would have to go with "Ugh ugh gross."

My favorite snack would be any sort of sweet frozen food (fruit, ice cream, yogurt, popscicles, sugar). Also, on the subject of ants on a log snack, my mom used to make those with peanut butter, and I would eat all the raisins and give the antless logs to my brother.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up