Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Poll

What are you eating for breakfast these days?

A healthy hearty breakfast, consisting of...
Something of questionable nutritional quality, consisting of...
I start the day with coffee/nicotine/alcohol alone.
Breakfast?  Who needs it?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The most important meal of the day!  (Read 12319 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The most important meal of the day!
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:14:07 pm »

I get up an hour earlier than need be every morning in order to get a ride in to work with my boyfriend, so I bring breakfast with me, and sit here checking out what's new on line and getting fueled up for the morning.  I typically hate breakfast, but as I usually only get around to eating lunch at about 1:30 - 2:00ish, it's pretty unhealthy of me to not eat it. 

Today, I have a peach Yop (liquid yogurt for those who are unaware) an All-Bran Honey Nut Cereal Bar and a Fuji Apple.  Basically I don't like to invest a lot of energy into putting something together.

What did you eat for breakfast today?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:43 pm »

The same thing I have for breakfast every day: Cherry Coke. Well, sometimes I have Mountain Dew instead, if I'm extra tired and need a bit more of a jolt.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:34:17 pm »

We usually have cereal at our house.  Today I had maple-brown sugar frosted mini-wheats.   Occasionally we'll bust out the oatmeal, and if I'm really into it on the weekends I'll make bacon 'n' eggs, or pancakes, or pillsbury cinnamon rolls from a tube.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:48:39 pm »

Trader Joe's Maple-Pecan granola which also has some kind of flakes in it too, so it's more like eating cereal and not so much like eating crumbled-up cookies.  I put some banana in it. The banana was a little too ripe (I like them really green.)

I hate cereal, actually, but I was too sleepy to make any effort.  Breakfast is such a trial on weekdays. As we have discussed elsewhere recently, the complicated breakfast foods are wonderful things. But when you don't have time for pancakes and sausage all of the choices are sad and nasty.

When I go out to work I usually have a second breakfast when I wake up enough to be hungrier, often one of those yogurt drinks. But the only flavor I like is vanilla and the store is often out of it. Why do people think fruit yogurt flavors are a good idea? Yogurt is not improved by fruit and fruit is definitely not improved by yogurt.

Today I am working at home so I am hoping I forget about second breakfast (not watching the clock so much) and can move on directly to worrying about lunch.

Breakfast, it's nothing but heartbreak.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:02:28 pm »

For years I wasn't much of a breakfast guy.  My favorite breakfast in law school was a 16 oz Diet Mt Dew and a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Cake.  Then for years I didn't eat breakfast at all.  Egg sandwiches (i.e. fried egg plus a meat -- bacon, country ham, sausage or bologna) are also a long time favorite, but I've been avoiding them.

Lately, for the past year or so, I've been eating cereal for breakfast.  Usually Cheerios.  If I have more time and the inclination, I'll bust out the steel cut oats.  If I'm in a hurry I'll grab a granola bar or some such.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:12:57 pm »

Today, I had a crunchy peanut butter sandwich. Normally I'm not that bad; six slices of Bovril on toast generally does the trick. And let's not forget the full English breakfast on the weekend.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:57:50 pm »

Coffee, either before leaving the house, or at the train station.  2 bowls of low-fat granola once I get to work.  Followed by coffee.  Later - more coffee.  Then lunch.

Sometimes I get up extra early and make the household scrambled egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches.  But not recently.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:23:03 pm »

I typically have a mug of Earl Grey and a variable amount of Trader Joe's ginger spice cookies. Maybe some bread and cheese, if I'm particularly hungry.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:27:57 pm »

in high school: a bagel with cream cheese, in the beginning.
eventually: an "instant breakfast" milkshake.

now: I typically eat my first meal at 3 when I get out of classes. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I meet my girlfriend and my best friend (or, at least, best college-friend) for breakfast, and eat an egg and cheese croissant sandwich.
I am so unhealthy. It is bad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:35 pm »

Like Wombat, I do the granola-with-banana-slices thing, although I can't stand unripe bananas.  I like to leave them until as close as possible before they turn into some sort of colloidal jelly.  It brings out the flavor.  I have learned to moderate this somewhat so that I don't have to throw away the last few bananas in a bunch.

For the cereal, I go with Kroger own-brand without raisins, in organic skim milk.  I used to warm it up in the microwave, but about a month ago I spontaneously acquired a taste for cold cereal, and now I just put it in for a random amount of time between 0-20 seconds.  I'm not really sure why I do that.

I spent a summer in Barcelona a few years ago and couldn't find a cereal there that I liked, so I had fresh-baked croissants for breakfast instead.  I miss those.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:01:58 pm »

I can't stand unripe bananas.  I like to leave them until as close as possible before they turn into some sort of colloidal jelly. 

This is how the Technical Staff likes his bananas. When I can smell them from across the room. Gross.

I sure wish I could have bagels or croissants instead. But, of course, being from New York I can't bear to eat any of the bagels I can get around here. I also once lived near a place that made very good croissants and spoiled me for life in that department too.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 07:40:55 pm »

I wonder if you can keep some bananas in the fridge, and others on the counter.  That way you can meter out a bunch without the last ones being black and wrinkly.
Many people in my household like bananas.  I am not one of them.  If I'm hungry and nothing else is around, I'll consider them - their stage of ripeness doesn't seem to be a factor however.  On the other hand, I think some plantain dishes are kind of nifty - the ones where the plantain is serving as a potato or rice stand-in.  Those don't seem to be breakfast dishes though.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:09 pm »

The SO likes his bananas at the point where they've just turned from green to yellow, I like them flecked with brown.  This means unless he's kind enought to leave me some, I get no bananas.  I get no bananas today.

I used to be of the "breakfast, who needs it" ilk, but then a coworker came in complaining that she "must be getting old" because she's hungry in the mornings.  I'd never heard of this.  Does this happen?  Anyway, it was like a curse.  The next days I was so hungry in the morning.  I tried to ignore it, but no.  I guess I'm getting old too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

I used to be of the "morning sucks" opinion.  I found that they sucked much less when I actually ate something.  Then, when I didn't eat breakfast one time, I realized that mornings sucked because I was hungry.  I just didn't identify the malaise as hunger.  It feels different to me than when I'm hungry later in the day.

Note:  even with breakfast, I'm still not a morning person.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:01:35 pm »

I wonder if you can keep some bananas in the fridge, and others on the counter.  That way you can meter out a bunch without the last ones being black and wrinkly.

I have read that freezing bananas causes them to turn black anyway, but then they're still okay to eat on the inside.  I don't usually have an overripe banana problem if I start eating them soon after I buy them, since the supermarkets always stock just the greenish ones.

Ripe, non-potatoesque plantains are awesome.  They taste like really sweet bananas, but they don't melt on you when you try to bake them.  I like to make them into pseudo-oven-fries and have them with ice cream or dulce de leche.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up