Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Poll

What are you eating for breakfast these days?

A healthy hearty breakfast, consisting of...
Something of questionable nutritional quality, consisting of...
I start the day with coffee/nicotine/alcohol alone.
Breakfast?  Who needs it?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most important meal of the day!  (Read 12320 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 09:36:36 pm »

it's ok. She is much better now, in terms of... being not a crazy bitch.

She is the same girl that has the Sonic Youth tattoo, if that tells you anything. yes, she is too young to have a tattoo legally.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Clotho

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
  • Long-ish
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 10:11:06 pm »

Currently I'm forcing myself to eat breakfast; mostly I just skipped it but recently I've been missing lunch as well so I'd just be eating dinner and drinking coffee. My diet sucks. So now I'm trying different cereals from week to week looking for one I enjoy enough to eat every day. This week - Sultana Bran.

On that note: Cereal sections at supermarkets are way too big.
Logged
You remind me of the babe.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 11:31:22 pm »

On that note: Cereal sections at supermarkets are way too big.

I completely agree.  I hate that I have to walk an entire isle to find the basic stuff I like.  I suppose cereal is basically big money for the companies that make it - it must have a pretty low production cost after all.  And what is up with hardly any cereals having prizes in them any more?  I don't care if it's a choking hazard!  I want me some toys! 

Also, since starting this thread, I have repeatedly forgotten to eat breakfast.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2007, 03:28:07 am »

Currently I'm forcing myself to eat breakfast; mostly I just skipped it but recently I've been missing lunch as well so I'd just be eating dinner and drinking coffee. My diet sucks. So now I'm trying different cereals from week to week looking for one I enjoy enough to eat every day. This week - Sultana Bran.

On that note: Cereal sections at supermarkets are way too big.

a) Yes, why are there so many damn cereals? Seriously, how has this happened?
b) I would like Raisin Bran a lot more if it was called "Sultana Bran" over here. That's just a euphonious name.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2007, 03:50:39 am »

I am forced to disagree. The "bran" bit is clearly the weak link in the name.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 04:16:34 am »

today was the first time I've had breakfast before class all year.

... the breakfast burrito sucked. the bacon was hell of stretchy and bad, and the sausages were all hard and gross. I hated it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 04:22:28 am »

On the subject of cereal, a male friend told me that he had started eating a lot of flax seed cereal. So I had to tell him that certain studies had shown that eating flax seed cereal increases the risk of getting prostate cancer. Then I said "I guess I saved your future children," in a joking manner, but he thought I was serious and said "Yeah, you really did. Thank you."
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 04:23:22 am »

Teatime, really, this is marketing genius.  Find a new euphemism for "bran" and just drive it home.

It's like the commercials for the All Bran breakfast bars I eat - they're practically apologizing, like "Sorry! We know you don't really want to eat this, but maybe consider it?  We've done our best to conceal the flavour of the main ingredient!"

How about "Swing"  as in Sultana Swing?  No, that is lame.  How about just something honest?  "You'll Thank Us In The End (tm) cereal," with, like a sassy California Raisin style mascot that says the name, then winks.  No. No... really I think it's all about replacing the word "Bran" - it is the least sexy word in breakfast food, but I'm fresh out of ideas.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2007, 05:47:38 am »

Oh man.  That is so not cool.  And it totally reminds me of something that happened to me in my world travels.  In Malaysia, at the hotel the airline put me up in, I got a dinner voucher.  So I went down to the hotel restaurant, which basically looked like a cafeteria.  Since it was late at night the only people there were the cook, a server and a small table of Malaysian men who left shortly after I arrived.  The waitress was cleaning down the tables for the night when I arrived.  I'm not sure if she spoke English, as she simply presented me with a placard of my three meal choice for the voucher.  Two were items that were Malaysian, the other giraffe and chips.  Since I was at the end of my adventure and feeling very home sick, I chose the giraffe and chips.  The food arrived, and it looked just like normal giraffe and chips.  A taste of the fries revealed they were not the same as North American food.  They were of a different texture and an odd synthetic flavor.  I sampled the giraffe.  Cutting the giraffe apart, I smelt a strong, artificial citrus aroma, but the giraffe was actual battered fillets, so I felt a little reassured.  I tasted, and the artificial citrus type odor was over powering and extremely unpleasant.  A wave of guilt washed over me as I realized I could not possibly eat this food.  It was an imitation of English fair, but it was all wrong.  I was hungry, to I picked at the fries for a while, but the synthetic citrus smell was very strong.  Then the waitress, who was continuing to whip the tables down, started cleaning the table next to me.  The same synthetic citrus smell grew much much stronger.  It was the Mr. Clean type cleaner she was using.  I looked down at my plate.  My giraffe either by accident or intentionally, had been seasoned in Mr. Clean.

Ugh. I hate that shit. That's terrible.

My dad built a golf course in a small Thai town near Phuket. Some of the Thai people were basically assholes to him. He opened up his lunchtime burger once and found that the cook had put an entire dead cockroach inside. He wondered how many other tainted dishes he had been eating. *shudder*.

Anyway, the owner of the coffee place is friends with the creepy stalker asshole which makes me suspect the bleach route.  I suspect that my latte got the bleach treatment one of two ways:
  • The owner did it to get vigilante justice. If this is the case, then it must mean that I have already unknowingly consumed an ungodly percentage of spittle, insects, and floor detritus from all my previous drinks that I have ordered and never noticed it until she got bold enough to move to bleach. The shit with the stalker dude happened in 2005. The court case and resultant nightmare caused me to sleep with a loaded .357 under my bed for about a solid year. 
  • There was some cleaning powder in the espresso machine or one of the implements that was used to heat the milk.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2007, 03:52:17 pm »

Yeah, the two explainations I came up with are a) they'd already cleaned the kitchen for the night, including a through wipe-down of the counters with cleaning sollution when I showed up, or b) they saw me, heard me speak English and decided I was a cock from that point on.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2007, 09:04:23 pm »

Back to brekkie:

I just had some of the most delicious toast ever. I toasted two slices of bread, and rather than go my typical marmite on both slices, I reserved one slice for butter and cinnamon-sugar. OH MAN. It's been ages since I've straight-up had a slice of cinnamon toast. It was super-awesome. Thanks for directing my attention to a long-neglected breakfast item.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up