Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Poll

What are you eating for breakfast these days?

A healthy hearty breakfast, consisting of...
Something of questionable nutritional quality, consisting of...
I start the day with coffee/nicotine/alcohol alone.
Breakfast?  Who needs it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The most important meal of the day!  (Read 12321 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:30 pm »

That I am sir.  When in northern Virginia, stop by any Anita's branch and get the 99 cent breakfast burrito.  Eggs, taters, cheese, salsa, tortilla.  Simple and tasty good and cheap cheap cheap.

When in Albuquerque, go to the Frontier Restaurant (Central Ave., right across from the university) and get the breakfast burrito topped with green chile stew.  I want to go back to ABQ just to eat this.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 07:08:45 pm »

Hey Wombat!

I finished off the Trader Joe's Pecan cereal stuff this morning, what should I buy from there next so we can remain not-creepy-at-all-bi-coastal-breakfast-buddies-in-spirit?

I just bought another box of the same. I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Also, the fruit that is best with this cereal is peaches. It's not peach season here for a long time, and apparently the crop might be messed up by the cold spell we just had. But I'm sure it's different for you Californians.

I had an extra special breakfast this morning though.  Yesterday I baked chocolate breads. You just make some plain bread dough, no sugar or anything fancy in it, and wrap it around a piece of good dark chocolate, like about a half ounce per roll.  I've never seen such a thing for sale anywhere but it is one of the best things you can do with chocolate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 08:22:56 pm »

once again, I failed to wake up early enough to get a breakfast burrito. TOMORROW IS THE DAY. OR FRIDAY.

but, considering I have two really important tests and 2 short papers due in the next few days... I might be tired and no do this.

So, who knows. Maybe I will finish the year without eating a breakfast burrito.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 08:28:14 pm »

I suspect my first breakfast burrito may be at WOMAD this summer. My brother reckons it's the perfect breakfast for the festival. We shall see...
As for breakfast - rarely. I tend to throw a couple of croissant or maybe a pan au raisin out to prove overnight and then have that in the morning (frozen uncooked croissants are the best invention EVER!). I am very rarely up long enough before lunch to have more than a cup of earl grey, mango or spice tea in the morning, before sorting out lunch. Given how seriously I prefer to take lunch as well...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 02:05:51 am »

I haven't had food in my mouth prior to 9 am in a very long time. I trade that time for sleep.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 03:33:26 am »

Today, I had a crunchy peanut butter sandwich. Normally I'm not that bad; six slices of Bovril on toast generally does the trick. And let's not forget the full English breakfast on the weekend.

What is in a full English breakfast? I think Onstad's blog once said that it comes with seventeen pieces of toast, with more toast if you need it. My younger sister didn't realize that the English don't cook their bacon all crispy and delicious such as we Yanks do, so she hated the hell out of traditional English food. I guess that she was too afraid to ask them to cook it crispy. I never, ever send food back to the kitchen, I just know that I'm gonna get the Cesspool of Babylon (as Lyle says) treatment on my food if I do.

I have read that freezing bananas causes them to turn black anyway, but then they're still okay to eat on the inside.  I don't usually have an overripe banana problem if I start eating them soon after I buy them, since the supermarkets always stock just the greenish ones.

Ripe, non-potatoesque plantains are awesome.  They taste like really sweet bananas, but they don't melt on you when you try to bake them.  I like to make them into pseudo-oven-fries and have them with ice cream or dulce de leche.

You have to peel the banana and wrap it in plastic before you freeze it, otherwise you're screwed. The banana darkens but it's not that bad.

Anyway, about my brekkie choices. For years I couldn't stand to eat breakfast. I started eating it last year because a personal trainer admonished me to do as such. I've had greater difficulty with my weight since then. I think I might try going without and seeing where that leads me.

Lately I've had a really hard time waking up. I usually don't drink coffee because it makes me cranky, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I started buying some of those Starbucks doubleshots and keeping them in the fridge. One of those has 140 calories (the Splenda lite version only has 70) which is pretty much a small breakfast in and of itself. For example, a bowl of organic flax cereal with organic skim milk runs about 190 calories. I can't get coffee from our local java hut because last time I got bleach in my latte  and I haven't gone back (no proof, just my hunch based on the insane burnination and weird taste I got for the first few sips, and then I threw it out). I might get an espresso machine.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 05:29:02 am »

I didn't have a breakfast burrito before I moved to california.  I still can't brook the salsa... just not my thing.  Still, I broke down and got one at work* once when I was desperate for food, and they are so good.

Think of them as breakfast sandwiches, only less bread and more breakfast.  Plus they retain heat well in case you can't eat them immediately.


*We have a food truck that comes for breakfast and lunch.  This was also a new experience for me, but I think I prefer the concept when compared to a cafeteria or fast-food only.  Plus: awesome fries.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 01:09:54 pm »

I can't get coffee from our local java hut because last time I got bleach in my latte  and I haven't gone back (no proof, just my hunch based on the insane burnination and weird taste I got for the first few sips, and then I threw it out).

Oh man.  That is so not cool.  And it totally reminds me of something that happened to me in my world travels.  In Malaysia, at the hotel the airline put me up in, I got a dinner voucher.  So I went down to the hotel restaurant, which basically looked like a cafeteria.  Since it was late at night the only people there were the cook, a server and a small table of Malaysian men who left shortly after I arrived.  The waitress was cleaning down the tables for the night when I arrived.  I'm not sure if she spoke English, as she simply presented me with a placard of my three meal choice for the voucher.  Two were items that were Malaysian, the other giraffe and chips.  Since I was at the end of my adventure and feeling very home sick, I chose the giraffe and chips.  The food arrived, and it looked just like normal giraffe and chips.  A taste of the fries revealed they were not the same as North American food.  They were of a different texture and an odd synthetic flavor.  I sampled the giraffe.  Cutting the giraffe apart, I smelt a strong, artificial citrus aroma, but the giraffe was actual battered fillets, so I felt a little reassured.  I tasted, and the artificial citrus type odor was over powering and extremely unpleasant.  A wave of guilt washed over me as I realized I could not possibly eat this food.  It was an imitation of English fair, but it was all wrong.  I was hungry, to I picked at the fries for a while, but the synthetic citrus smell was very strong.  Then the waitress, who was continuing to whip the tables down, started cleaning the table next to me.  The same synthetic citrus smell grew much much stronger.  It was the Mr. Clean type cleaner she was using.  I looked down at my plate.  My giraffe either by accident or intentionally, had been seasoned in Mr. Clean.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15:49 pm »

What is in a full English breakfast?

OK...
Toast, fried eggs, sausages, bacon, black pudding, baked beans... Usually that's about it, maybe fried potatoes too, although you also see people (fools) do it with scrambled eggs instead of fried. I can't stand beans, and I don't really like sausages with it, but then I'm not English either so... That said, I refuse to have clooty dumpling with it as well.
Basically though, as much fat and oil as it possible to fit on a plate, accounting for all those empty carbs and proteins.
In Scotland, you (well, the scum) might have salad with their fried food, which would mean cold chips or chinese takeaway from the night before.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 02:51:53 pm »

Is that 'salad' as in lettuce leaves and slices of tomato, etc? For breakfast? In Scotland?

No, no... God forbid they'd eat a plant! As I say, in Scotland, 'salad' is anything cold, like use-up chips, Chinese, pie... Ungodly things.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 03:35:37 pm »

Oh no, I've been eating salad for breakfast my entire life!
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:18 pm »

Smells.

I have a similar story. I do not feel comfortable divulging too many details. So I will put them all separately instead of in story form, to trick myself that I am not explaining too much:

my mom has discovered that if she places freshly-pressed tortillas on a towel which she has machine-washed, it will taste vaguely like bleach and/or detergent.
she keeps one towel separate, and hand washes it, so that it will not ruin the tortillas.
my grandmother did not know this, and used a regular towel.
I have it on good authority that human semen contains some chemical which causes it to smell/taste vaguely like some laundry detergents.
i gave my girlfriend one of these tainted tortillas.
she, essentially, accused me of adding some "special flavoring" to her tortilla. She was not mad, she just thought I was crazy.

I was really worried about what had been done to the tortillas, until my mom commented that my grandmother had screwed them up by using the wrong towel.

PS I could have dealt with it better, if not for the fact that I had eaten a tortilla as well. That taste will live in my mind forever as "specially seasoned tortilla."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 07:44:47 pm »

Inev... this is.. facinating.  You are in a relationship where your girl thinks it's possible for you to serve her a gizz-rito/tac-cum-co/nachos-man-preme and ask you about it in a way that is "not mad."  I know you are young, but basically you should marry this girl, because there are really few ladies in the world who tolerate bad behavior of this order.  Really.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

oh, I mean, she also cheated on me with my best friend? later, after she dumped me, she told her friends that I was "too nice."

So, no. That girl sucked. the sucking was not worth the... sucking.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The most important meal of the day!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 08:14:17 pm »

Oh, this is the ex-girlfriend.  I thought this was a new girl.  I am sorry.  She can eat all the gizz-ritos in the world then.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up