Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Young "On the Beach"  (Read 7554 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 03:06:23 am »

really? I feel like... the book I read about them said that they were all really disappointed with it, and the public was too, so they took time off.

maybe I am imagining that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 05:02:35 am »

Warner Brothers and the public (the Warner Bros public. that is) probably were, but no, Ronald quit and there were only three members and they took time off to figure out what they could do as a three piece and... basically it was the peak of the early Flaming Lips.  I am sure you have heard Christmas at the Zoo, This Here Giraffe, Lightning Strikes the Postman or Kim's Watermelon Gun before.  Those all came from Clouds...

And seriously, you have OiNK so it is only like 45 minutes plus ten to acquire.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:51:34 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 06:03:33 am »

and seriously, I already had it. I downloaded the whole discography of the flaming lips.

But no, I had never heard any of those songs. Now that I have a working iPod (yay!) I will listen to it in the car. This will happen.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 06:40:28 am »

Right on.

Have you never seen them?  I guess maybe I take that for granted, but they play Lightning Strikes the Postman every show, I think.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 07:08:25 am »

I have never seen them, no. They have not played in Charlotte in a really long time, I think. Or at least, not since I've been aware of them... which is probably not a long time.

Apparently they almost broke up when they were supposed to play at The Milestone here. That place... basically sucks. It is tiny, and loud, and covered in (now, mostly faked) graffiti... I was expecting it to be really cool, but it's just a tiny depressing bar in a shitty part of town. I was really glad that my friend who is in the Air Force and is really fit was there. If it had been just my girlfriend and me... we would have definitely gotten freaked out and left. As it was, passing a sign "In memory of (name), killed on this spot by carjackers" with a date only a few weeks before... was terrifying. When we read the sign, we all screamed a little bit and started driving faster.

also: they came to St Louis right after I got to St Louis, but i had no money, and the show was sold out, and... basically I just didn't go. They were playing with Sonic Youth, too.

a guy I know went and saw them with sonic youth in asheville last summer. He said "that sonic youth band, they seemed kind of cool. Don't you like them or something? But the Lips were awesome!" I kind of wanted to punch him. He is the kind of guy who thinks he knows everything about music, and then says idiotic things that...
ok. basically I just hate him, and he could say anything and I'd still hate him. Anyway, he saw the Flaming Lips. And does not have appreciation for Sonic Youth, as, you know, they don't know how to play their guitars right.

my friend Katie saw them, and apparently screamed "Be my Father Figure!" at Wayne. She is pretty proud of that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 05:50:01 pm »

If I recall correctly, there is exactly 1 song on Transmissions... that I always skip. So, maybe perfect?
If you skip a song, it isn't perfect.

I don't know. I skip multiple tracks on my favorite album, so maybe I'm not the person to ask. There are only so many times I can hear "Gary's got a Boner" and "Black Diamond."
I can understand skipping "Gary's Got a Boner", but "Black Diamond"? Really? That's like the only good version of a Kiss song, including the originals, sort of.

really? I feel like... the book I read about them said that they were all really disappointed with it, and the public was too, so they took time off.

maybe I am imagining that.
Your favorite band thinks they themselves suck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 05:55:15 pm »

Quote
If you skip a song, it isn't perfect.
I mean... only if you don't like skipping songs?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 06:17:39 pm »

Yeah, if you skip a song, an album isn't perfect.  On the other hand, people my age are welded to the idea of an "album" in a way that people your age aren't.  Skipping songs is just the way people listen to stuff these days.  ( Myself included, now that I listen to everything on an iPod.  I seldom just listen to one entire album front-to-back anymore, even ones that I love. So. )

I saw the Flaming Lips twice back around 1989 or so.  Once at a Hampshire College party, once at a club on the Lower East Side where they were opening for either Naked Raygun or GWAR. 

Both times, the routine was the same.  Three guys came out onto a stage piled high with Marshalls and started playing this ungodly sludgy din at a volume that was literally painful.    While all this was happening, they fired up the smoke machines.  When the stage was completely blanketed in fog, they turned on the strobe lights.  And left them on for an hour.  Complete sensory overload.  Oy.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 06:18:33 pm »

I mean... only if you don't like skipping songs?

Good point - I liked Initium so much I couldn't listen to it all the way through even once.



Jough's favorite song is "Silver"

sorrows
sorrows
sorrows
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 06:48:05 pm »

I was mostly kidding. I often listen to my favorite albums on vinyl, so... I am a pretentious fuck, I guess. I actually can't remember which track on Transmissions is the one I normally skip, so, I am not sure.  I am a big fan of listening to albums all the way through... but I have a really bad attention span. So the only time I can really do that is when it's on vinyl and I'm lying on my bed late at night. Listening to "Spiderland" all the way through two nights in a row... that is like my Olympics. Normally I lack the willpower to listen to things all way through, and end up skipping something eventually. On vinyl, I end up not listening to the second side quite frequently.

on another note: is the sound quality on newer iPods better? or... the quality of the headphones they come with?

maybe my old headphones were just bad. but... it sounds like Jay Farrar is right there.

(PS I just found out that Uncle Tupelo, and therefore half of Wilco and Son Volt, are from Belleville. Where my roommate is from. They probably went to his highschool.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:24 pm »

on another note: is the sound quality on newer iPods better? or... the quality of the headphones they come with?

I haven't noticed a real difference in sound quality between my old 20GB and my new 80.  But headphone quality makes a huge difference.  Don't even bother with the white P.O.S. earbuds that come with the iPod. 

Invest in a pair of these.   
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 12:20:18 am »

damn. those things look like my old headphones that broke. Those were the best.

my new headphones (that broke) don't look like that.

the earbuds that came with my iPod don't look like that, either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 12:26:02 am »

Whoever invented earbuds needs to be beated with a flaming baseball bat. I decided that when I first got my Gameboy.

I like the in-ear headphones because then even on the Metro I can keep my iPod volume at like 10% instead of cranking it up and going deaf.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 12:51:48 am »

I need to get me some of those.
Some part of me is wary of playing my guitar through anything but big honking over-ear headphones, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 04:18:14 am »

I need to get me some of those.
Some part of me is wary of playing my guitar through anything but big honking over-ear headphones, though.

If it's the ear part of you, you should probably listen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up