Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...  (Read 10719 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 09:34:07 pm »

I like the thought process that leads to any message being expressed by something that relates to music, or more specifically records, must be a satanic message, even if its purpose is public safety.

No!  Dude!* 

It's not that any message expressed by a record is satanic. 

It's that, by driving the wrong way down a one-way street, you'd be playing the record backwards.  Any message encrypted into a record via backwards recording is satanic. 

In this case, it's a satanic message telling you to stop playing the record backwards. 

I cannot believe.  I cannot believe.  I cannot believe.  How awesome this strip is. 

*(The punctuation is because I am stoked, not because I am mad.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:50:15 pm by Alternate »
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 09:41:54 pm »

ok, I can't... does a "bone" mean a joint? or... his skull? is that it?

this:

Quote
I used to smoke up to excess and it wasn't until I read your post that I got the reference myself (with Urban Dictionary's help).

makes me think that it does not mean his skull? I feel like his skull thinks...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 10:05:44 pm »

I believe Nightlife is referring to his "head bone," ie. his brain.

I have seen a conceptualized version of the record-road about a year ago at an art exhibit here in Tempe.  At least, it was sort of like that.  I suppose it could be more correctly described as a music-box-road.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 10:13:23 pm »

A bone is a joint.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:34 pm »

Even though a bone is a joint, in this case I think Nightlife is referring to his brain, since A) he doesn't have a joint in his hat, and B) his joint probably does not think.  Also, the rest of the poem is about his brain.  He might have chosen to describe his brain as a bone in order to evoke some stoner imagery. 

Jaydub -- if you used urban dictionary to find out that a bone is a joint, just how many pages of the primary definition of "bone" did you have to go through before you got to that information? 

Also:  This is the only satanic song about turning around that I can think of. 

I have more to say about this strip, some of which is also about They Might Be Giants.  I will be back after homework.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:43:52 pm »


Jaydub -- if you used urban dictionary to find out that a bone is a joint, just how many pages of the primary definition of "bone" did you have to go through before you got to that information? 


I'm not sure.  I have a built in noise filter when it comes to UD.  Its more like - from Mattgiraffe's post I came to suspect there was a drug euphemism for 'bone' and so I went trolling for it.  There were a sufficient number of "joint" and "cigarette" and similar (chiefly British) euphemisms that I conclude there's some validity to it.  Also, I have seen folks at Reggae on the River with a jay rakishly tucked into their hatband so the line from Nightlife's rap makes sense from that angle too.  The fact that it could also reference "skull" only adds poetic weight to the idea it could be either (or both!).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:54 am »

I really want some glasses like the ones Nightlife has. or... maybe not.

this guy on my floor has these frames that scream "old school German man" that I really dig. They're similar to those black plastic frames that a lot of people have that I have wanted since I was a little kid and they were still lame, except they're... kind of taller? They are vertically bigger.

kind of like these but less rounded.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:42 am »

All pulling into the EZ-Pass lane, turning off the stereo, and the strains of Iron Maiden's "Number Of the Beast" all vibrating the entire vehicle while four small children in the car ahead of you cry and their bumper sticker saying "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart" falls off and disintegrates.

Road sign all reading:
Speed Limit: 78 RPM


FUCK YES. Tiny can.

Speaking of crazy-ass inbreds and their retarded anti-choice bumper stickers...There's some asshole in my town who drives around with a "NOT A CHOICE" bumper sticker, and recently he added to his asinine car-based political ideology with a bumper sticker that says, "BORN TO HUNT, FORCED TO WORK" with a graphic of a deer or elk on it. I want to go make "HYPOCRITE" bumper stickers and plaster them all over his car. I heard him muttering, "Hurrr...the Bible says killin's wrong so women who use birth control are whores but Ann Coulter and Jesus sez that we getta rape the earth and pillage it and kill all the animals and eat 'em CUZ GAWD SAID SO."

ALSO: I am hella glad to see Nightlife. He's one of my favorites.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 02:29:05 am »

All I am saying is that a hat is a popular place to store a bone and that he didn't have one in the panel before that.  (it looks like he might be inhaling though).  Also, a cat like Nightlife is sure to be aware that a joint affects his brain.  But yeah, I guess it could just be about his brain.  That would be a weird thing for a person to call his brain though, especially when he calls his joint that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 02:41:15 am »

what specifically about that anti-abortion sticker is retarded? I feel like it is legit.

I don't know. Abortion confuses the fuck out of me. It is a thing which I cannot decide my opinion of.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 02:49:53 am »

It is an anti-abortion sticker that is next to a sticker that promotes killing things.

And yeah, abortion is the same way for me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 02:53:54 am »

no, I meant the "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart" sticker.

But, I mean... what? I feel like hunting animals is very different from (what they view as) killing a baby.

Let's not get into this, though.

PS I realized, if I bought the glasses that Nightlife has, and wore my favorite article of clothing (a hooded blue zip-up)... I would basically look like the GM of the radio station I work at. Buzzed hair about 1 cm, sideburns, skinny white guy, blue zip-up hoodie, glasses... it would be going too far. It's enough that we like the almost-exact same music...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 03:08:34 am »

no, I meant the "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart" sticker.

But, I mean... what? I feel like hunting animals is very different from (what they view as) killing a baby.

His other bumper sticker implies that he enjoys hunting animals for fun, as opposed to hunting for just for food. That he probably enjoys hunting and killing animals is what I think her issue is.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 03:17:39 am »

His other bumper sticker implies that he enjoys hunting animals for fun, as opposed to hunting for just for food. That he probably enjoys hunting and killing animals is what I think her issue is.

Look, either Life Is Sacred or it's not. So if you fuck*ng hunt and kill animals, or if you eat animals that have already been cut up for you and are purchased in a climate-controlled store, you're participating in death and murder, hence being a huge fuck*ng hypocrite. I find it amusing that they think that killing and eating living beings is a-ok (pigs have intelligence similar to a 3-year old human, for example), but for a woman to extricate a clump of cells outta her uterus is somehow evil. There are now efforts to make it illegal for women to get abortions even in case of severe fetal anomaly. I am fuck*ng sick of religious freak godbags saying, "She shouldn't of gotten herself raped in the first place!" or "The BABY'S life is important, not yours!" or "You're SO havin' that baby, bitch!" Or you could be like the fuck*ng nutty Texan senator who advocated selling babies for cold, hard cash.

It's all a bunch of shit. US out of my uterus.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 03:50:22 am »

It's all a bunch of shit. US out of my uterus.

Word.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up