Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Poll

Fuck yes, dude?

FUCK YES, DUDE!
Oh hell yes!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeward Bound to Denver  (Read 6836 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Homeward Bound to Denver
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:16 am »

Well... my boss told me last week in a fit of rage during an argument that I would NEVER, EVER get a promotion. I immediately started making phone calls. I will go back home to Denver on June 30th to become a partner in my dad's company. I'll be doing surveying and mapmaking, which is pretty much what I've been doing up here. So I'm putting in my resignation tomorrow.

My only regret will be leaving the Fire/EMS department where I volunteer. I volunteer hundreds of hours per year. I'm a Firefighter-1 in the State of Alaska, an NREMT-B nationally, and an EMT-II in Alaska. Those folks in the Fire Department are like family to me. Sadly, I probably won't have time to volunteer with Fire/EMS in Denver due to my new responsibilities, but I will do what I can to keep my registration current. I will miss the folks at our fire dept. so much. But I definitely won't miss my boss.

Would it be entrapment for me to hire an attorney to call her and say that they are checking candidate references? I want to have someone check to make sure that she is only giving legal and accurate information for reference checks cuz I know that she's going to say stuff about me that is untrue and not within the legal boundaries of what employers are authorized to say.

Damn, I am really gonna miss the folks at the fire department. I don't want to leave them. There is a dispatcher position open...but my degree is in architecture and planning...and I don't really wanna be a dispatcher for the rest of my life. My goal is to have my own company, because I am sick of being an employee minion. My dad will be training me to take over when he retires.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:20:17 am »

Would it be entrapment for me to hire an attorney to call her and say that they are checking candidate references? I want to have someone check to make sure that she is only giving legal and accurate information for reference checks cuz I know that she's going to say stuff about me that is untrue and not within the legal boundaries of what employers are authorized to say.


I don't understand while this would matter if you are getting a job with your dad?  Wait, like not for a job, but just to make sure that she is saying legal stuff?  Why don't you just get someone you know to call, and then go from there.  That would be cheaper.

Still, if your plan works, it shouldn't matter.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:27:27 am »

You know, I know this is so totally not my life, but I am relieved. The whole Alaska thing just made me.... I don't know, nervous.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:41:37 am »

Can't someone from your dad's company call? He really is giving you a job, so it's not a deception, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06:46 am »

Well, I guess I jumped the gun a little bit. We still have to get stuff ironed out, and so we're going to wait until I'm in town to sit down and discuss everything.  I'm going to wait until after my vacation to give my notice. Sigh. I was really hoping to be out of there sooner, but I guess i'd better cool my heels.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:29:45 am »

I am glad that you have made this choice. It seems best.

You will only be 1 or 2 states over from me (when I'm at school)! Not that I'd be in Colorado, but, you know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:57:14 am »

Actually this sounds great.  You've had your Alaskan adventure, now you're coming home, older, wiser and more experienced, and taking up the family business.

So your boss was a dick.  Let it go.  As you say, you'll be very busy soon. If you're too busy to do something good and useful with your firefighting skills, surely you will also be too busy to engage in vindictive (if well-deserved) litigation.

I know you must be excited to be going home to your family.  Also, you'll be able to tell the Grandkids about the years you spend in the Great White North.  It rocks to be you!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:54:49 am »

I'm looking forward to Kellichou's reaction.

Congratulations on yet another life-altering decision! 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:56:26 am »

I hope the Alaskan adventure was good to you, but yeah, it's sounding like it's time to get back to the lower 48. Safe travels, and let us know how Colorado is, 'kay?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 11:53:06 am »

It is better not to do these things in an anger, so waiting to quit till you have a cooler head is good. But any job where a conversation with the boss includes 'a fit of rage during an argument' is a job you should leave.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 03:04:24 pm »

It is better not to do these things in an anger, so waiting to quit till you have a cooler head is good. But any job where a conversation with the boss includes 'a fit of rage during an argument' is a job you should leave.

The boss is super volatile. She's either going to take it with an aloof "good riddance to bad rubbish" attitude, or else she's gonna hit the roof and scream, "How could you leave me high and dry? Our admin assistant left on May 25, and your position took 2.5 years to fill! How am I going to manage??"

At this point, I don't effing care how she's going to manage. As long as I give my 30 days notice as required, she cannot give me a poor recommendation. I have gotten satisfactory annual evaluations.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 03:08:08 pm »

"How could you leave me high and dry? Our admin assistant left on May 25, and your position took 2.5 years to fill! How am I going to manage??"

If good help is so hard to find, maybe she should have been more considerate.  People like that are poison.  Good for you for not putting up with it.  Life is too short.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:35 am »

You know, I know this is so totally not my life, but I am relieved. The whole Alaska thing just made me.... I don't know, nervous.
Welcome back to humanity, Somebody nice.
I am glad that you have made this choice. It seems best.
Actually this sounds great.  You've had your Alaskan adventure, now you're coming home, older, wiser and more experienced(.)
I hope the Alaskan adventure was good to you, but yeah, it's sounding like it's time to get back to the lower 48.

Ouch - thanks, guys. Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me?

Seriously, Somebody nice - good luck!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 03:25:28 am »

Ouch - thanks, guys. Why can't I wake up with the gin already in me?

Seriously, Somebody nice - good luck!

I guess we're all just more comfortable having you far, far away from the rest of civilization.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Homeward Bound to Denver
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 03:28:35 am »

I find myself unable to argue with that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up