I got two boxes packed today, and I don't even have all my Fire/EMS/Search and Rescue books packed yet. I am trying to spread them around through boxes because each book is about a thousand pages and heavy as a cinder block. However, I also must make sure to reserve enough of my wardrobe to act as cushioning material for when I package the delicate stuff: PS2, Xbox, Computer and monitor, telly. It's a tightrope, I tell you.
One of my friends from the BBS days (300 baud...remember that?) is going to let me stay with him for "a few months". He lives 5.4 miles from the office, so even if I have to walk or take the bus for a few months it won't be that bad. When I get to Denver i'm taking him out for beers and extracting an agreement in blood of how much I will owe him and EXACTLY how many days I am allowed to stay there. I want no bad blood to be stirred up, nor do I want him to feel like he's being taken advantage of.
The move up here was craaaaazy...and my employer was reimbursing me for it all...this time I'm footing the bill 100%. This time is going to be easier (hopefully) because I've done it all before. Talk about a pain in the ass. Moving your stuff 4,000 miles is way more complex than you would think. I have to get all my shit boxed and then shrinkwrapped into pallets, then they will be loaded into a container and put on a big-ass ship to be sent down here. When they hit Tacoma, another dude with a freight forwarding company has to pick them up and put them on a truck to Denver. 2 pallets worth of shit (less than 1,000 pounds) will run me at least $1,200. I think that I've accumulated more than that, so I might be paying more. Whatever... it's cheaper than re-buying everything when I get down there.
Wish me luck and plenty of sedatives. It's gonna feel so good to be back home.
Also...apparently my town has a one female in, one female out policy (we have 4 men to every female over 18 years of age). We got a new curator for our museum, so she's taking my place. I'm pushing my landlord to give her my apartment when I'm gone. Housing here is a nightmare. I'm also going to sell her my truck. It sucks because I could probably get WAY more money if I sold it on the free market...but she is also 27 like me and penniless and I want to help her out. Hopefully it will repay some karma to the awesome folks who helped me out when I first moved into town. You get what you give.