Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevorkian a free man  (Read 10475 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Kevorkian a free man
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:46:29 pm »

After 8 years Kevorkian is free.  I know folks really hate this dude, but to me it's just horrifying that he went to jail in the first place, nevermind such a harsh sentence.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »

I dunno. Something about a doctor who helps people die seems awful backwards. Seems like the opposite of what a doctor should do? Intellectually I support it, I guess... I don't know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:23:50 pm »

I am glad that Kevorkian is free, and hope for the day when the things that he did to serve his patients are no longer considered criminal, but dignified. If our pets are sick and suffering, and there's nothing we can do, we put them down to stop their pain. But we don't give ourselves that option, and that always seemed weird to me. If I had a few months to live, and it was going to be full of pain and suffering, and some jackass came to me and said, "That's not allowed! I DEMAND you sit there and waste away, because that's how *I* feel it should be!," I'd probably kill him. Then I'm a murderer, and the gubmint can do the honors.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:42:32 pm »

I am glad that Dr. K is free.

We had a really horrible situation here that hit very close to home for me. A much loved person here was suffering greatly from a terminal illness at a very advanced age. He was given medical treatment way beyond what he wanted. He was suffering so much and he felt that medical intervention had cheated him of a peaceful death. When he finally got home from Anchorage, he committed suicide with a gun. However, he was agile enough to get it and commit the act by himself.

It horrifies me to think of people suffering from terminal illness and wishing that they could end their lives, but are physically unable to do so. I think that Kevorkian did the right thing.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:14:20 pm »

Yeah, my grandfather shot himself due to similar circumstances.  Personally, I wish he'd had a more dignified option.  It would have been such an act of kindess for him to have had a better option, both for him and for us.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 02:24:11 am »

Yeah, my grandfather shot himself due to similar circumstances.  Personally, I wish he'd had a more dignified option.  It would have been such an act of kindess for him to have had a better option, both for him and for us.

Mel, that's exactly what I was trying to say about the situation up here.

I wish that he had been able to do it differently. I have no idea how he envisioned it going down, but maybe peacefully falling asleep in his wife's arms might have been a better option than locking her out of the house and getting his sidearm. I have no idea - maybe he wanted it that way? But having the option, that was what I was driving at. He should have had the option.

Then again, he was really pissed off at the medical community for intervening and cheating him of his natural death. So maybe he figured that this was the last way he could take control. The point is, I have no idea. I've never been in that situation. Maybe someday I will be, though, and I want the option. That's why I support Kevorkian.

Gah, I'm getting all choked up thinking about it. I loved them so much because they are incredible people. His wife is still here. She seems like she's managing okay, but I just inwardly grieve for her and I hope she's all right.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 04:38:01 am »

Glad to have him back.
I wonder what he's going to do for a living now. Guess some pro-euthenasia group will support him, and he probably has book deals.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 03:40:02 pm »

Glad to have him back.
I wonder what he's going to do for a living now. Guess some pro-euthenasia group will support him, and he probably has book deals.

Yea, his agent says he's going to be doing various speaking appearances and such as well, not all about assisted suicide. And getting back to his woodworking and sailing or whatever it was...
I agree basically with everything people have said, Linnea, Smells and Golfhaus in particular. It amazes me that people can have sex change operations, or have a limb they don't like lopped off (after lots of psychotherapy and judging it's the best option), but dying with dignity is just too much.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:30:25 pm »

Quote
have a limb they don't like lopped off (after lots of psychotherapy and judging it's the best option)

We had a really frustrating issue with our psych professor where... he just didn't even understand our questions. He was saying that these people are not "mentally ill" once they have the limb removed because... now they are happy. And don't have any Subjective Mental Distress. We were trying to ask "does it not count as a mental disease/disorder if it is incredibly maladaptive? is that not part of the criteria?" and he was just being his usual not-getting-it self. "no, see, they're happy now! So... it's not a mental illness!" Personally, I guess more power to them. If they want to lop off their limmes, and that makes them happy... that's fine. but weird. I mean... I guess this is a recent change... up until the 70's the DSM-IV still considered Homosexuality a mental disorder. So.

I had an issue with that class. That man never understood any of the really interesting and clever questions this really cute girl asked. I was always about to ask the same question.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:37:32 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 05:39:07 pm »

He was saying that these people are not "mentally ill" once they have the limb removed because... now they are happy. And don't have any Subjective Mental Distress.

So - does the need to lop off another limb resurface after a while with those folks?  The next time their job gets crappy, or their kid starts listening to bad music and getting poor grades, or whatever anxiety it is they're mischanneling?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 05:58:26 pm »

my understanding is that it is always in regards to a certain limb. In some cases, they had always believed that their arm/leg/whatever didn't belong there-- they suffered a huge amount of upset that this "thing" was on them.

This strikes me as some sort of weird nervous system disorder that we just haven't figured out yet. But that's just me talking out of my ass, you know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:10 pm »

One bit of trivia tangentially related to Kervorkian that I always found interesting is that his . . . odd . . . attorney, Geoffrey Fieger, is Doug Fieger's brother.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »

People can have their limbs removed?  Doctors will do this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 08:36:02 pm »

I believe they can do it in Scotland.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 09:00:10 pm »

Whoa, Whoa, so when you where saying limb you weren't talking about sex changes, you were talking about arms?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up