Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevorkian a free man  (Read 10444 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 05:00:16 am »

He probably just said the first bit, maybe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 05:00:38 am »

personally, I've never decided whether I'd rather go out peacefully, or kicking and screaming and clawing for my last breath.

... this sounds like bullshit, but they're both so essentially human in different ways. Accepting death is enlightened and all... but the will to live is an awfully powerful thing.


luckily (?) most people don't really get to choose.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 05:35:48 am »

Did Bill Hicks really say not to go there?  I doubt that.  Well, maybe he said it then went there himself.  That is possible.

I said the part about "It's best to not go there." Hicks said:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_Hicks

Quote from: Bill Hicks
      What do you say we lighten things up and talk about abortion? You know, I feel like I'm losing some of you here, and I want to win all of you back with this one. Let's talk about abortion. Let's talk about child killing and see if we can't get some chuckles rippling through the room here. Let's talk about mass murder of young, unborn children and see if we can't coalesce into one big, healthy gut laugh. Ha ha ha ha!

      Boy, I've never seen an issue so divisive. It's like a civil war, isn't it? Even amongst my friends, who are all very intelligent; they're totally divided on abortion. It's unbelievable. Some of my friends, for instance, think these pro-life people are annoying idiots. Other of my friends think these pro-life people … are evil fucks. How are we going to come to a consensus? You ought to hear the arguments around my house: "They're annoying, they're idiots." "They're evil, they're fucks!" Brothers, sisters, come together! Can't we once just join hands and think of them as evil-annoying-idiot-fucks? I beseech you. But that's me …
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 06:02:12 am »

Yeah, that is totally going there.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 09:19:42 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 09:19:29 am »

I don't think there is anywhere the great mr. Hicks did not go.

Inev: I definitely get you. I've always figured that if my life were in that sort of situation I'd try anything and fight it to the very finish simply because I'm one of these freakshows that believes this is all we get and alive in pain is preferable to nothing.
However if every breath I drew was unimaginable pain without respite I might hold a slightly different view and I think this is definitely a choice a body must make for itself.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 04:27:08 pm »

Regarding the voluntary amputation folks, we saw an documentary on the subject a few months back, Whole.  It has interviews with pre-amputee folks, post-amputee folks, one with a guy whose wife says she'll leave him if he does it, doctors debating whether the operations should be performed, etc..  It's pretty interesting, and you can find it on Netflix.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2007, 05:54:09 pm »

I remember reading this smug op-ed piece written by a woman who was Catholic. She said that suffering was part of God's plan, and that trying to circumvent suffering through euthanasia was evil, weak, morally reprehensible, and Against God's Plan.

I couldn't help but wonder - is anesthesia during surgery Against God's Plan? Doesn't God want us to suffer? I guess her tactic was to say that anything that prolongs life was good, like surgery or antibiotics. So if suffering is the noble and Christ-like thing to do, why not just ban all painkillers and anesthesia and anesthetists and anesthesiologists? (note: does anybody know the difference between these two professions? I should Google it. I've heard people refer to both and I'm curious.)

For someone like her, a person who only has to occasionally pop a Tylenol for the errant headache...I find it incredibly arrogant for her to dictate that terminally ill patients don't deserve respite from pain. And even if she had gone through cancer or something that caused her to suffer - how does she know that her suffering equates to those of folks whose pain is so awful that they wish for death? We don't have an objective scale to measure pain. What I want to know is...how can she compare her suffering to that of other people?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 06:22:13 pm »

I remember reading this smug op-ed piece written by a woman who was Catholic. She said that suffering was part of God's plan, and that trying to circumvent suffering through euthanasia was evil, weak, morally reprehensible, and Against God's Plan.

I couldn't help but wonder - is anesthesia during surgery Against God's Plan? Doesn't God want us to suffer? I guess her tactic was to say that anything that prolongs life was good, like surgery or antibiotics. So if suffering is the noble and Christ-like thing to do, why not just ban all painkillers and anesthesia and anesthetists and anesthesiologists? (note: does anybody know the difference between these two professions? I should Google it. I've heard people refer to both and I'm curious.)

For someone like her, a person who only has to occasionally pop a Tylenol for the errant headache...I find it incredibly arrogant for her to dictate that terminally ill patients don't deserve respite from pain. And even if she had gone through cancer or something that caused her to suffer - how does she know that her suffering equates to those of folks whose pain is so awful that they wish for death? We don't have an objective scale to measure pain. What I want to know is...how can she compare her suffering to that of other people?

Seconded.  I get pretty suspicious whenever any mere human starts telling me what God's plan is.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 07:01:12 pm »

Agreed, AW.

I mean...obviously, crucifixion was the worst thing that could happen to you in Jesus' time. And yes, he paid the ultimate price for all of humanity. And yes, all the major religions accept that suffering is a part of human life. I can understand why some folks think that euthanasia should be illegal. But...saying that people deserve to suffer needlessly? I cannot get behind that.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 10:13:27 pm »

anesthetists and anesthesiologists? (note: does anybody know the difference between these two professions?

Interchangeable terms.  Probably a British vs. American spelling situation.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 03:00:08 am »

What happened to jesus suffering so I don't have to? Wasn't that an important dogma at some point? Jesus died for my panadol!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2007, 10:17:08 am »

Nah, Christ only died so you don't have to suffer after death. While you're here, God's going to make you his bitch.

(This is why haemorrhoids are so common.)

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 02:16:37 am »

Quote
(This is why haemorrhoids are so common.)

..are they? fuck. I do not miss the future.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 03:36:24 am »

..are they? fuck. I do not miss the future.

As Roger Waters once said, "I've got . . . some bad news for you, Sunshine."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Kevorkian a free man
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 06:55:36 am »

..are they? fuck. I do not miss the future.

SOON: What the?!...is that...blood?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up