Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck  (Read 15466 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 04:58:22 am »

ok, am I the only person who doesn't have in-detail knowledge of TB? If I were told I had TB, I would say "um, ok. What does that mean?" The limit of my knowledge is that a lot of people in books die of it, and that my grandmother had it as a child. Is it such common knowledge that he would certainly know how bad it was? Possibly my defense of him is due to my own ignorance.

I don't know. I am a fan of never chalking up to meanness or selgiraffeness what I can attribute to sheer human ignorance and stupidity.

You know, for not knowing about TB you acted kind of like a cock up there to someone who is in the medical field and presumably knows something about the subject.

Just sayin'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 05:04:17 am »

I don't know. I am a fan of never chalking up to meanness or selgiraffeness what I can attribute to sheer human ignorance and stupidity.

So true, and you get a can for this. 

However, I would make it more of a continuum ala:


Pure fuck*ng evil ---- Meanness ---- Selgiraffeness ---- Willful Ignorance ---- Ignorance ---- Stupidity

I can't say that I've studied this case extensively or that I know all the facts, but my take on this guy puts him squarely in the selgiraffeness range.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 05:19:02 am »

well, no. When was I acting like a cock? I just stated that I had heard that it was not a particularly contagious form.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 05:27:48 am »

He's such an embarrassment, such a perfect totem of the sense of entitlement and egotism that makes Europeans hate Americans in the first place.  Way to go buddy.  Way to set your country's image back another ten paces. 

I'd like to see him punished in a really nice public way - like maybe everyone on the plane, in the airports, at the places he stayed all get to take turns slapping him as hard as they fuck*ng can.

Also, his wife not having it isn't really a signifier of anything. 

smells, i want to give you maximum cuddles for these statements. Because they're so fuck*ng spot on.

Also...theinev, I appreciate the other side of view. I hope I didn't come across as being a cock, but I feel very passionately about this issue. The media is being soaped up and bent over by the dude's PR firm, and they're trying to put a bullshit spin on it like, "Oh he ain't got lesions. He wasn't really that bad. Have sympathy for my client!" Bullshit, they did an xray on his cx (chest) and that's how they found it. Now they're trying to backpedal and put out misinformation to try to garner public support for this sorry jerk. I don't blame you, I am pised at the situation.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 05:31:48 am »

Rx, Dx, Px, Tx, and now I'm seeing Cx stand for something?  You medicos are only going to get 24 words you can abbreviate that way, you know (xx seems excessively cryptic, and I'm pretty sure ax is an alternate spelling for a normal word).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 05:34:25 am »

likewise-- I hope I didn't come across as being rude. I was just parroting what I heard on NPR the other day. TYPICAL. Sorry if I didn't communicate politely/clearly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 08:29:53 am »



Pure fuck*ng evil ---- Meanness ---- Selgiraffeness ---- Willful Ignorance ---- Ignorance ---- Stupidity

I can't say that I've studied this case extensively or that I know all the facts, but my take on this guy puts him squarely in the selgiraffeness range.

I'm all picturing you in front of an easel asking a witness to point at the scale to give an expert opinion on this matter, the jury all nodding knowingly.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 01:19:45 pm »

BTW, I don't think your a jerk inev.  I am angry at the TB guy not you.  Not you at all.

What I can say, from my own recent globe trotting is that you are asked at every single port if you are ill, if you have been advised by anyone not to travel, etc.  Also, on the plane in every country you have to fill out a little form about this and sign it.  As I understand it, it is illegal to lie to a border guard or on this form.  Entering back in to Canada, I had a fairly long interview with the border guard, all asking me if I'd been working on or visiting a poultry farm (Avian Flu), if I was sick now, if I'd sought any medical assistance while away, etc.  Basically there is no way that this guy didn't lie to at least a few people, provide false information of a form or two, etc.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 01:43:27 pm »

Rx, Dx, Px, Tx, and now I'm seeing Cx stand for something?  You medicos are only going to get 24 words you can abbreviate that way, you know (xx seems excessively cryptic, and I'm pretty sure ax is an alternate spelling for a normal word).

At my work I've picked up the abbreviations b9 (benign) and Ca++ (calcifications). But I don't understand why doctors write a c with a line over it for "with." Yes I know it's from latin but what's wrong with using w/ like normal people?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »

I'm all picturing you in front of an easel asking a witness to point at the scale to give an expert opinion on this matter, the jury all nodding knowingly.

Actually, a fairly comprable scale in terms of legal culpability would be something like:

Intentional --- Wanton --- Reckless --- Negligent  --- Strict Liability
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 03:12:57 pm »

likewise-- I hope I didn't come across as being rude. I was just parroting what I heard on NPR the other day. TYPICAL. Sorry if I didn't communicate politely/clearly.

I'm sure I over-reacted, but I deal with people every day up here who boldly state up-front that they know nothing about my job, and then proceed to criticize the way I perform it. That tends to chafe a bit. I guess you saying you didn't know anything about TB and then commenting on the amount of hate in Somebody nice's post just came off that way for me. Sorry. I should perhaps not post from work I guess.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 04:01:43 pm »

I'm sure I over-reacted, but I deal with people every day up here who boldly state up-front that they know nothing about my job, and then proceed to criticize the way I perform it. That tends to chafe a bit. I guess you saying you didn't know anything about TB and then commenting on the amount of hate in Somebody nice's post just came off that way for me. Sorry. I should perhaps not post from work I guess.

You posted that all wrong.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 04:07:47 pm »

You posted that all wrong.

You go to Hell.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 05:23:51 pm »

Hate leads to the Dark Side.

That is all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Asshole TB patient endangers thousands to save his own precious neck
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:17 pm »

At my work I've picked up the abbreviations b9 (benign) and Ca++ (calcifications). But I don't understand why doctors write a c with a line over it for "with." Yes I know it's from latin but what's wrong with using w/ like normal people?

Well, we EMTs also use an S with a line over it for "without". Con and Sin. To use a coffee analogy, just think of it as "cafe con leche" for "with" and "cafe sin leche" for without.

I'm sure I over-reacted, but I deal with people every day up here who boldly state up-front that they know nothing about my job, and then proceed to criticize the way I perform it. That tends to chafe a bit. I guess you saying you didn't know anything about TB and then commenting on the amount of hate in Somebody nice's post just came off that way for me. Sorry. I should perhaps not post from work I guess.

I agree with you. Not that I'm a TB expert or anything, but the story hit way too close to home for me, given how much we deal with it up here.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up